For those who did the 26 glacier cruise in Whittier...

sandcake

Did the tour leave exactly at 12:30pm?

I plan on arriving in Whittier via train at 12:05pm and was wondering if I would have time to check in on the Island Princess, go to my cabin to freshen up, and then hop on board 26 glacier cruise. Has anyone tried this?

I can't remember the exact time they leave, but it was close to 12:30 or shortly afterwards. Once you arrive at the gate of 26 glaciers, they will hold all your luggage until you return from the tour, then check in on the Island, I wouldn't go to cabin or check in before tour, you just wouldn't have time.

We were on the 26 Glacier cruise, and they do not wait. Last year I was sitting in an area where I heard to crew communicate with the ticket office and there were aprox 12 who hadn't made it (there tickets were already paid for).. the tunnel was going to open up at 12:30 so if they were sitting on the other side of the tunnel they could have gotten there by 12:45 at the latest, but 'no'... we took off.

I would almost think 12:05 is just making it.....

:(

My wife works for one of the companies in Whittier and they will leave you if you are not there on time. Schedules are coordinated with the arrival of the Alaska Railroad which is walking distance to the Klondike.

...My wife works for one of the companies in Whittier and they will leave you if you are not there on time...
Chenega, I'd like to tag on here and ask about PWS Cruises. We're looking at taking the 11:00 am Wilderness Explorer out of Whittier. Their website says to check-in at least 1 hr before departure. Do you know if this is strictly enforced? Given our ship's docking time in Anchorage, we'd most likely be through the 10:30 am tunnel and hence wouldn't arrive at the PWS terminal until very close to departure, definitely much less than 1 hr in advance. Any comments? Thanks.

My wife works for one of the companies in Whittier and they will leave you if you are not there on time. Schedules are coordinated with the arrival of the Alaska Railroad which is walking distance to the Klondike.

So, what happens if the train is late, one wonders? :confused:

Chenega, I'd like to tag on here and ask about PWS Cruises. We're looking at taking the 11:00 am Wilderness Explorer out of Whittier. Their website says to check-in at least 1 hr before departure. Do you know if this is strictly enforced? Given our ship's docking time in Anchorage, we'd most likely be through the 10:30 am tunnel and hence wouldn't arrive at the PWS terminal until very close to departure, definitely much less than 1 hr in advance. Any comments? Thanks.

We are in the same "boat" as you. I booked a car rental with a 7:30 a.m. pick up time, only to have the Amsterdam's docking time changed from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. People are reporting getting off the ship between 8:15 and 8:30 a.m. I am just not comfortable cutting it that close. I communicated with PWS and they said it is possible (but not guarenteed) to make the 11:00 a.m. tour with the 10:30 a.m. tunnel. They did not recommend it. Also, I am just concerned that if anything goes wrong..delay at the car rental, accident on the highway, etc., we would risk missing the tour. We then contemplated going on the Phillip's 26 Glacier tour as we should have no problem making that tour at 12:30 p.m. However, the 300 person boat vs. a 100 person boat has us turned off a little bit. Not sure how we would like that. The itineraries are almost the same, but 26 glaciers does go a short way into College Fjords. Since we have seen College Fjords on a cruise ship, it is not a big priority. We haven't cancelled the car rental yet, and may change our mind, but for now we booked with the cruiseship. I know it is costing us more, but I had two priorities for this trip: PWS tour and seeing bears. I just don't want to risk missing one of our priorities for this trip. I am still mulling it over, but I think we are going to stick with the cruiseship tour.

You can make the boat if you drive through the 10:30am tunnel but you'd have to park at the PWS office (about 5 minutes from the tunnel) and board the boat immediately. They prefer you make the 9:30am tunnel which can be done leaving Anchorage around 8am. Using the 9:30am tunnel also allows a little time in case of problems on the Seward highway.

Probably the easiest way to do this is to book the tour to include bus transportation that PWS tours provides directly from and to the Amsterdam. They pick up up at the Amsterdam and take you right to Whittier. You do get a narrated tour of Turnagain Arm on the way and make two stops en route to take pictures and stretch your legs. That bus gets in around 10:45am and the boat does wait until the bus arrives. Once you return, the bus takes you right back to the Amsterdam. You can book this directly with the cruiseline or call PWS directly.

I've seen the system work many times and it is very efficient. The PWS boat, the Nunatak, holds a maximum of 149 passengers but they rarely book that many.

I agree you should look into the PWS transpoartation option. We di it last weekend and it worked out great. BTW, our cruise was awesome...whales, otters, eagles and calving glacier (Suprise Glacier). Well worth the price!

Thanks Chenega. It certainly does appear that our best bet to be guaranteed on the PWS 11:00 am sailing would be to book the transportation/cruise through Amsterdam. Unfortunately, being in a large coach along the beautiful Seward Highway would not be our preference! Nor would paying a premium to do so! We so much want to keep our own schedule and have the flexibility to stop and go as we wish, either en route to Whittier or returning to Anchorage.

Vbmom, given our timing, we're now taking a hard look at Phillips 26, which we had previously dismissed. We would have no issue (barring something unforeseen) making the 12:30 pm cruise and could take our time driving the Turnagain Arm. Trip Advisor reviews are very encouraging - they're actually #1 for all tours out of Whittier. And there's always the off-chance that we would make it by 11:00 am and still get on PWS. If only the timing lined up for round-trip on the Alaska RR!

Thanks Chenega. It certainly does appear that our best bet to be guaranteed on the PWS 11:00 am sailing would be to book the transportation/cruise through Amsterdam. Unfortunately, being in a large coach along the beautiful Seward Highway would not be our preference! Nor would paying a premium to do so! We so much want to keep our own schedule and have the flexibility to stop and go as we wish, either en route to Whittier or returning to Anchorage.

Vbmom, given our timing, we're now taking a hard look at Phillips 26, which we had previously dismissed. We would have no issue (barring something unforeseen) making the 12:30 pm cruise and could take our time driving the Turnagain Arm. Trip Advisor reviews are very encouraging - they're actually #1 for all tours out of Whittier. And there's always the off-chance that we would make it by 11:00 am and still get on PWS. If only the timing lined up for round-trip on the Alaska RR!

If that is the case, I'd go with 26 Glaciers. Their larger boat (355 passengers vs 149) and faster speed for the same route are very popular. You really can't go wrong with any cruise out of Whittier.

I agree with you on the Alaska Railroad. PWS cruises is missing an opportunity with this one.

We drove the Turnagain Arm in 2008 and it was a lovely drive. We made many, many stops. This time I wanted to make a stop and hike to Byron Glacier and also stop at the Glen Alps Lookout. I have been told it is a good place to see moose. If we stick with the ship's tour, I would like to be dropped off downtown and rent bikes and ride the Tony Knowles Trail. We never had time to do this in 2008.

I am just so disappointed that the Amsterdam docking time was changed. I originally had a PWS tour booked on a small 6 passenger boat at 10:00 a.m. But with this new docking time that was not going to work. I have a few more days to decide if I will cancel the ship tour or not. Tough decisions for both of us, that is for sure.

I've seen the system work many times and it is very efficient. The PWS boat, the Nunatak, holds a maximum of 149 passengers but they rarely book that many.

Even on cruise ship days they generally have openings?

... Tough decisions for both of us, that is for sure...
Absolutely. But we're almost there, at least I think and hope so. I told DH it would be his choice, since he'll be the driver if we rent a car. But being the nice guy that he is, he just wants to do whatever I prefer! So rental car and Phillips 26, here we come. LOLOL. :D:D

Absolutely. But we're almost there, at least I think and hope so. I told DH it would be his choice, since he'll be the driver if we rent a car. But being the nice guy that he is, he just wants to do whatever I prefer! So rental car and Phillips 26, here we come. LOLOL. :D:D

For those who drive themselves, don't forget the $12.00 vehicle and passenger charge for the tunnel into Whittier.

Thanks for the reminder about the Whittier tunnel toll. When I first read about it, I thought it was $12 in each direction! LOL. I assume there will be adequate parking available at the dock in Whittier for PWS or Glacier 26 cruises? And is it free or paid?

Thanks for the reminder about the Whittier tunnel toll. When I first read about it, I thought it was $12 in each direction! LOL. I assume there will be adequate parking available at the dock in Whittier for PWS or Glacier 26 cruises? And is it free or paid?

PWS Cruises charges $3.00 and you pay when you check in at their office. Plenty of exclusive parking for PWS Cruises next to the building.

Whittier charges for their city lots. 26 Glaciers uses these parking lots and charges $5.00-10.00 depending on proximity to their dock.

26 Glaciers docks at the cruise ship area while PWS is further down the road.

Once you get to Whittier, drive to the ferry terminal, turn right, and go to the end where you will find PWS.

Hope this helps.

It helps a lot Chenega. I appreciate your advice on this. A big thanks! :):)

Oh, you're welcome.

My wife works for one of the companies in Whittier that offer these cruises. I can heartily recommend any of the vendors and get out into Prince William Sound any time I can. I'm especially fond of the trip through Esther Passage and the visit to Surprise Glacier. You usuallly see bald eagles and otters plus the occasional whale. Every trip is different.

If you have some free time in Whittier after your trip (tunnel opens every hour on the hour), pay a visit to Varley's Swiftwater Cafe for some incredible fish and chips. Better than anything I've had in Anchorage.:D

If you have some free time in Whittier after your trip (tunnel opens every hour on the hour), pay a visit to Varley's Swiftwater Cafe for some incredible fish and chips. Better than anything I've had in Anchorage.:D
OK, now we're getting to the REALLY good advice! Noted and filed for action! :D:D

We took the Prince William Sound tour with the PWS tour company.

We had them pick us up in Anchorage and take us to Whittier. The bus they use is a little mini bus with huge windows for sight seeing. It only holds maybe 20 people or so.

The bus leaves Anchorage at about 8:30 and there was a very nice commentary along the way regarding Alaska, Anchorage, wildlife, Whittier, etc so it was a very interesting ride. We made two stops along with way, one for a bathroom/grab a cup of coffee stop and another at a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains for pictures.

The PWS mini bus dropped us off at the pier for the boat. While we were on the tour, they brought our luggage to the Princess pier and dropped it off for us so by the time we got to our rooms our luggage was already there. After the boat tour, the mini bus dropped us off directly at the Princess pier and it was a fast and easy check in.

I would highly recommend using the PWS company and their Anchorage to Whittier transport. The tour was fantastic and the ride to Whittier was scenic and interesting.

It was also very nice not to have to cart our luggage around anymore after loading it onto the mini bus in Anchorage.

One piece of advice, if you decide to use PWS tours, let them know in advance that you will be catching a cruise ship and will have your luggage with you.

Another good thing about using the PWS transport, is that they guarantee that you will make it onto the boat on time for the 11:00 tour and being that it is their company transport, they will wait for you to arrive.

We booked our trip through the PWS tour company directly and not through the cruise line. It was not a large coach, but a small mini bus with huge windows designed for sight seeing. As I stated previously, the bus did stop for some scenic viewing.

Archived