WWYD ... Buying 4 cabins on Oasis, maximum benefits, help!

My DH and I are treating our family to a cruise on the Oasis early next year. (Merry Christmas kids, I am not wrapping anything this year!) I will need to book and buy 4 cabins... We just turned Platinum and we just applied for the RCI Visa card. My question is... If you were going to do this, how would you book and how would you pay for the cruise in order to maximize any benefits i.e. upgrades, Visa points, American Express points, etc.? Would you wait or book now? Buy online or use TA or go through RCI? Thanks in advance for your always helpful suggestions!

My DH and I are treating our family to a cruise on the Oasis early next year. (Merry Christmas kids, I am not wrapping anything this year!) I will need to book and buy 4 cabins... We just turned Platinum and we just applied for the RCI Visa card. My question is... If you were going to do this, how would you book and how would you pay for the cruise in order to maximize any benefits i.e. upgrades, Visa points, American Express points, etc.? Would you wait or book now? Buy online or use TA or go through RCI? Thanks in advance for your always helpful suggestions!

Have y'all used a TA in the past? Were you happy with them?

I have a TA I've now used for 4 cruises personally, as well as a cruise for my MIL-to be and her sister, and my parents. He's given me good deals, and worked with me when I've just been shopping around with only basic time frames in mind (Got me a balcony on a 13 day Radiance Repositioning Cruise in 2010 for less then an inside at the time I booked it, due to a group rate.).

The biggest benefits out of a TA would normally be OBC of some form or another, which on 4 cabins, would add up to a nice chunk of change. I would book ASAP, and then watch for drops in price. This way you can try to get the cabins you want, either as close or far away as you need. ;)

I would TA shop, looking online and a larger wear house locations. I do not think that RCCL is going to give you the "best deal" nor do I think if you book with them, you will get a upgrade.

Look at your budget, call around and see what options come up.

I know my FIL booked 4 cabins on the Wonder - with a local travel agent, we asked that any promo be applied to his account, so he had a nice big credit when when boarded. (much nicer then a bottle of wine IMPO).

T

While it's against the rules to recommend specific a T/A, here's what mine offers:

Free insurance - or - an on-board credit based on fare paid

No fee to cancel or make changes to a reservation

Will honor price drops (no T/A fee) if per the cruise line policy

Has a phone number so I can speak to someone during normal business hours (not just e-mail)

Credit card payment goes directly to the cruise line, not the agency

I would at least get the rooms reserved and deposited especially if you want them in one area of the ship - the availability is only going to go down and figure out what to do with points etc later.

I would check out the savings certificates - there were a few for different sailings on Allure/Oasis in Jan/Feb. The savings certificates for balconies were better than the Platinum balcony discount. Also - split up yourself and your DH into separate rooms to get the better $$ off for 2 rooms rather than just one (you can be re-shuffled onboard)

Personally, I take the hit of not getting all the extras from TA's just because I like to own my reservations and not have to call into Royal all the time for any minor changes. Since Oasis/Allure are 'book it ahead' types of ships I wouldn't want to have to give that up (not sure how much you can do on your own...)

I will need to book and buy 4 cabins... we just applied for the RCI Visa card. My question is... If you were going to do this, how would you book and how would you pay for the cruise in order to maximize any benefits i.e. upgrades, Visa points, American Express points, etc.? Would you wait or book now? Buy online or use TA or go through RCI? Thanks in advance for your always helpful suggestions!

Wait for the credit card to come in. Sometimes takes a few weeks to arrive.

As others said, shop around and see what they offer. If you must sail one particular week, know the room category you want.

Do some online dummy bookings in advance, know the cabins you want to select. Remember, grown kids do not want to be right next door to their parents, put a (one room) buffer between you!

Allure / Oasis - East / West - Sometimes it is cheaper to go one ship or the other. price this out as well, especially if you are impartial to your dates.

When the new card arrives, make sure the travel agency bills it directly to the cruise agency. you can follow up to make sure the charge comes through as such. Make the final payment the same way. Keep in mind it takes a few cycles to get the points to show up on your account, and several weeks for the certificates to come in the mail, return and the credit applied. Plan this out accordingly. Put all the dinners, airline, hotels and transfers on there as well, again, you have to put them on as far out as possible to ensure that you get the points and have time to redeem them.

The 35,000 points or so you look to accumulate when all said and done will get you a nice $350 room credit in addition to what ever your TA offers you - and that should be at least $100 per cabin.

I would at least get the rooms reserved and deposited especially if you want them in one area of the ship - the availability is only going to go down and figure out what to do with points etc later.

I would check out the savings certificates - there were a few for different sailings on Allure/Oasis in Jan/Feb. The savings certificates for balconies were better than the Platinum balcony discount. Also - split up yourself and your DH into separate rooms to get the better $$ off for 2 rooms rather than just one (you can be re-shuffled onboard)

Personally, I take the hit of not getting all the extras from TA's just because I like to own my reservations and not have to call into Royal all the time for any minor changes. Since Oasis/Allure are 'book it ahead' types of ships I wouldn't want to have to give that up (not sure how much you can do on your own...)

When I traveled on Radiance, I was able to do anything short of changing my cabin, names, or paying for the cruise via the RCCL web site. I was easily able to book specialty restaurants (including the Mystery Dinner) and shore excursions (didn't book any via the ship on that cruise, did everything on our own for that).

If you want points, but need to get what you need now, can always put in the deposit on one card, then pay for the rest of the cruise on the one you want to get points for.

Just reserved 3 cabins for the Allure in November via TA I was happy with on last cruise. Easy to deal with them on the phone and to have them look for locations of cabins etc and know what was available. They also made sure we're getting the most for our money. I am happy and I know the kids will be too! Not going to get a lot for nothing on the Oasis or Allure as they sell every cabin they've got.

Remember, grown kids do not want to be right next door to their parents, put a (one room) buffer between you!

Really? We have been with family on our last 4 cruises and always had adjacent rooms. I've never not wanted to be next to my parents. Plus, on the Oasis the balcony dividers can open so having adjacent rooms would be really nice.

Archived