If I book as a solo traveler, can I add a person before my sail date?

:confused::confused::confused: Huh, 4500 is well beyond 3634 ???

Anyway, as I said it´s the classification society setting the max capacity of a ship and there´s a lot more to it than to count number of seats in life boats.

Rescue vessel capacity has to be available not only for passengers, but as well for the crew. Of course they need overcapacity as well, as in an emergency there might be an amount of lifeboats / rafts that can´t be used. They will take that into account as well. I´m sure there are probably many more things to take into account, but one more will be how fast they can evacuate what amount of persons.

Okay, this would make the numbers work out by including the crew. I was just trying to make some sense out of all this and this post makes good sense to me.

Sorry about that - but you are wrong:

Today ships have nearly twice the lifeboat capacity as their passenger capacity - to secure - in case of a listing ship you are unable to launch some of the lifeboats - so today passenger ships have enough lifeboats on BOTH sides of the ship to accomodate each passenger.

And the visible lifeboats are not the full amount of lifeboats. They have these ""used as tenders" lifeboats and the other ones - the inflatable ones - the biggest ones are for 150 people.

800px-Rettungsinsel.jpg

Wendy

See post #11. I mentioned these exact kind of rescue rafts. I'm also basing my numbers on what I saw on Freedom of the Seas 30 life boats all marked as 150 person capacity. The math comes out to 4500. So the ship will have close to 3700 people and add in the crew you would still be under the 4500 giving extra capacity for the lifeboats. So in the case of the Freedom you will have plenty of lifeboat capacity for passengers and crew.

Archived