Cost of Cigarettes

nancronin

Hi - Anyone know the cost of cigarettes on Dawn - Boston to Bermuda. I have a friend going and thought I might ask her to get me a carton.

Hi it was 5 cartons for 130.00 on the gem in Feb . There was a limit on how many you could bring back to the us.

remember that you are allowed a max of 200 u.s.-made cigarettes per person back into the U.S. If you try to bring more, they can assess you the federal and local taxes at that point in the customs inspection.

They were very inexpensive compared to buying them in MA. I'm trying to remember exactly what they were. I was going to buy MIL some and decided not to (evil daughter-in-law that I am - JK) About $26 a carton sounds right. Maybe around $50 something for the 2 carton package.

remember that you are allowed a max of 200 u.s.-made cigarettes per person back into the U.S. If you try to bring more, they can assess you the federal and local taxes at that point in the customs inspection.

200 is correct but all they can and have assessed is the duty for the excess cartons. I have always returned with at least 5 cartons dozens of time. I declare them on my customs form. Once I had to pay duty. Can't believe they shut down the line to walk me over to collect the massive duty of $12.40 total.

200 is correct but all they can and have assessed is the duty for the excess cartons. I have always returned with at least 5 cartons dozens of time. I declare them on my customs form. Once I had to pay duty. Can't believe they shut down the line to walk me over to collect the massive duty of $12.40 total.

actually the "rule" is more complicated but rarely enforced. The technical rule is you are only allowed to reimport one(or the duty free allowance if more) carton of cigs made in the US period per adult. they are supposed to seize any amount more of this. If you stop at one of the US insular possessions like the US Virgin Islands you can bring back 5 cartons duty free as long as one is purchased on the Islands. The US duty on a carton is $11.00(1.10 per pack).... most of the time however they don't stop anyone no matter how many they have.

I brought back 15 cartons from a one day cruise. The Cruise line paid the duty as none was duty free(you have to be outside the US for 48 hours to get a duty free allowance)...

Archived