Yet another pre-existing condition question

Brewzz

I screwed-up, and didn't get insurance in time to get the pre-existing condition waiver.

I've done a search, and couldn't find a clear answer on this so I'm hoping someone can help me determine if Wifey's asthma will be considered a "Pre-existing condition" or not.

Her asthma is very well controlled by prescription meds.

She has not had an attack requiring medical attention in over a year.

The only time she has been to a doctor since has been for routine check-ups and to renew her scrips.

There have been no changes to the type of meds or dosages for at least two years.

Am I right in interpreting this definition to mean that her asthma doesn’t qualify as a pre-existing condition?

Pre-existing Condition means any injury, sickness or condition of the Insured or Traveling Companion, or Family Member for which within the 180 day period prior to the Insured’s Effective Date under this Policy which

a) manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; or

b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or

c) required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Legally Qualified Physician

I would call the insurance company (or email them) directly and ask for clarification on this issue. Get name of person you talk to/save the email they answer. People here are knowledgeable but if you get the information you desire in writing from the company and there is an "issue" later you will know where you stand?

I would call the insurance company (or email them) directly and ask for clarification on this issue. Get name of person you talk to/save the email they answer. People here are knowledgeable but if you get the information you desire in writing from the company and there is an "issue" later you will know where you stand?

Thanks Caroline. I fully intend to do just that, once we narrow it down to a couple of policy choices. I was just bouncing it off of the CC members to get their opinions, while I'm still researching.

I screwed-up, and didn't get insurance in time to get the pre-existing condition waiver.

I've done a search, and couldn't find a clear answer on this so I'm hoping someone can help me determine if Wifey's asthma will be considered a "Pre-existing condition" or not.

Her asthma is very well controlled by prescription meds.

She has not had an attack requiring medical attention in over a year.

The only time she has been to a doctor since has been for routine check-ups and to renew her scrips.

There have been no changes to the type of meds or dosages for at least two years.

Am I right in interpreting this definition to mean that her asthma doesn’t qualify as a pre-existing condition?

Pre-existing Condition means any injury, sickness or condition of the Insured or Traveling Companion, or Family Member for which within the 180 day period prior to the Insured’s Effective Date under this Policy which

a) manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; or

b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or

c) required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Legally Qualified Physician

This would not be considered a pre-existing condition according to the definition you posted.

The only part of the definition that could apply is b)

"b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or . . . "

Yes, she's taking prescription meds. But that clause beginning with "unless" means that it doesn't apply in your case.

No, you do not have a pre-existing condition. The description that you provided is right out of your insurance policy, right? In this case, the 180 day lookback period gets you out of the pre-existing condition.

This is a very common question and it often comes from people who are taking medication to control high blood pressure. As long as it is controlled, and the medication has not changed during the lookback period, then there is no pre-existing condition. But many people who have high blood pressure assume that they *always* have the the pre-existing condition.

But if your prescription changes, then all bets are off. Even if your blood pressure improves on it's own, and they lower your medication during the lookback period, then that would trigger a pre-existing condition.

Thanks for the replies folks! I was pretty sure that I was interpretting the wording correctly, but wanted to get some other opinions. As I said in response to Caroline, I'm still going to try to get a firm answer from a company rep before we purchase.

One other option to consider is CSA insurance, they include Pre-ex up until final payment. I agree with everyone else that your wife's condition should fall outside the Pre-ex limits, but if you are concerned they might quibble over a scheduled doctor visit, there is a policy available to you that covers Pre-existing conditions.

Pre-existing conditions are generally determined based on whether your doctor believes there was a significant change in medical condition within say 90 days of the date of your cancellation.

No. In determining whether or not a condition is "pre-existing" or not the insurer will look at the period (depending on the policy anywhere from 60, 90, 180 days or more) prior to your purchase of the policy, not the period prior to your cancellation.

When looking at a plan's trip cancellation coverage the "pre" in "pre-existing" refers to the policy purchase date, not the departure date or the cancellation date.

Archived