How often does your family make it to the MDR?

ehough

We always do main dining early seating. There are only a few nights we miss and its either because DS (age 2) is just too tired or we missed it because we got back late from port. For me its more stress to do the buffet than sit down where they bring the food to you. Having DS sit with hubby while I am attempting to get food and drink from multiple separate stations each having to wait in lines is too much. It's much easier to sit and entertain him while food and drink are brought to us. If he gets fussy one of us will walk around a bit or head back to the cabin (rarely happens). Most of the time it works out pretty well.

My youngest was 8 when we started taking them and we all ate in the MDR for dinner and everyone ate breakfast and lunch when they wanted it We took our granddaughter in April, she turned 4 this weekend, and we are taking her again in a couple of weeks.

We ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. One of us sat with her and the other got food, it worked out great. Every night we had dinner in the MDR and had very few problems. The exception was after being in Mexico at the beach ALL DAY swimming with no nap. I should have known better, but the family insisted we try to make it to dinner. She made it through the appetizer and then fell asleep across my lap. Of course, I took her to bed and when the rest of our group finished dinner, my hubby relieved me and I grabbed a bite from Lido.

We enjoy the experience of the MDR, but a miserable child makes everyone around them pretty miserable. I don't care to listen to mine or anyone else's child whine and carry on through dinner.

We've made it most nights, with the exception of steak house nights or nights we're just too dang tired. Although this upcoming cruise, we're planning to only hit the MDR a few times. We're just tired of the menu, plus it will free up some serious suitcase real estate. I'm finding the more we cruise, the more we enjoy just relaxing and doing it our own way, rather than rushing around from Point A to Point B.

We took our girls (ages 2 and 4) almost every night (one night we ate in the specialty restaurant so grandma and grandpa took them) to the dining room. We had early seating. They were great and had their drinks waiting for them each night when they sat down. They got their 1st course right away and would pretty much eat for the whole 1st hour. They did not rush DH and I at the same pace as the girls - we still had a relaxed meal. When DD#1 (4) finished her meal either DH or I would take her to the fun factory which was open from 7-10. So she stayed for about 1hr- 1.5 depending on how quickly she ate. I brought her leapster explorer (she is NOT a sitter to begin with) we turned the volume completely off - but I think if she used it for 20 mins the entire week that was a lot. Most nights she just enjoyed dressing up and sitting next to one of the windows and looking out.

DD#2 (27 months) made it through most of the meal. About an hour or more in grandma would come and take her (they ate late seating) and would return her after our entree for dessert. I brought these small foam magnet blocks and we could pull a few out and she could build something between courses.

If there is an option why don't you have them dine with you - then when they get restless either take them for a short walk or bring them to the kid's program. This way you can dine in the dining room and spend time with your family but still have a little quiet time.

• 2 weeks later...

We ate in the MDR every night as a family. But at home we eat every dinner at the dining room table as a family.

(There was a family near us with a little guy who was about 18 mos. & there were in the MDR a majority of the time.)

My husband took my son to the LIDO for breakfast, while I went to the MDR (At home I am at work before my son is even up) they join me later in the MDR, because they were finished, but I was not. :)

& We ate at least 1 lunch in the MDR as a family.

On our next cruise, I have already warned my husband that I will be eating in the MDR everytime it is open. LIDO is too crazy for me.:o

We started cruising with our daughter when she was 8, and it's just the 3 of us so it's not a hassle, but we went to the MDR every single night. There was one day in particular we got back late from an excursion in Nassau and instead of skipping our last night in the MDR we all ran from the dock, to the dining room in our shorts and tshirts, they let us in, and still had a great dinner with our waiters. This was back in the day where you had to hand an envelope with the tip inside.

And now that our DD is 19, we still expect everyone to eat in the MDR every night. That's never been a problem. Even if she has her own stuff going on she has to eat dinner with us every night. She enjoys the conversation with others, we've done tables for 4, and larger tables. We're going on another cruise this January and will still expect the same. She really enjoys the food, and dressing up. Plus we all find the buffet a hassle at times.

Archived