Navigator Library

Could any of you recent sailors on the Navigator let me know about how well the Library is stocked? We will be boarding the ship Oct 3 for the NY/Montreal fall foilage cruise. I will be bringing a few paperbacks (I know, I know a Kindle or Nook would be so useful), but I usually like to visit the ship library first thing and see what might catch my fancy to read for the trip.

Many thanks..........:)

All I can say is, bring a Kindle!

I had a few books of my own and believe it or not, I left my book in a chair at the coffee stop and when I returned,it was gone! Never had a book taken before. Next time I will put my name and cabin number on a peice of paper and use it as a bookmark.

Good reading!!

I'm already stocking up on my Nook for our 11/18 cruise! My mother doesn't have a nook (I even got one for my DH!) so would love to hear how well stocked the library is. We are driving to the pier, so bringing along books is not a problem, but sure don't want do if I don't have to!

Some of the ports we're going to appear to be either booked or no the type of excursion we would be interested in, so I'm planning on lots of reading-- which I would do anyway. This is our first Regent cruise so we are very excited!

We just got off the Navigator at the beginning of July. I had a Kindle so didn't borrow books from the library but, being a reader, I checked it out. It had a good selection of best seller type hardbacks, not the very latest, but quite newish. There was more fiction than non-fiction.

Mostly American books, and definitely the well-known ones at that. Some attempt at travel books to cover the areas visited, and left over paperbacks from former guests. The Navigator's library is smaller than either the Voyager or the Mariner's, and neither of those are very impressive anyway!! Get a Kindle!!

I always take my own books, but sometimes I browse the library to see if there's something I haven't thought about. I have been very pleasantly surprised, and Mark also found books he wanted to read in the enlarged print section; he was thrilled because he hated hauling those big books along. We both ended up with Kindles for our last cruise, but I still loved looking in the library.

There is usually a shelf left vacant as a "trading spot", and I have utilized that, too. Maybe didn't actually pick up a book from there, but dropped off paperbacks I had read and didn't want to hold on to for future re-reading.

The huge joy was, there was no librarian. You pick up a book, take it and read it, then put it back. Or at least, that has always been my experience.

I would highly recommend taking a Kindle, Nook or iPad loaded with books you have been planning to read. The Navigator library isn't large, and unless you go there immediately on boarding you will likely find it pretty thoroughly picked over. Yes, you might find something appealing, but even if you do, it won't be a big selection. Also, I wouldn't count on being able to download new Kindle books via the ship's wi-fi, as the login process is completed through a web page interface that Kindle doesn't seem to be able to handle (although admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out). Possibly you could download to your Kindle via one of the ship's wired computers by going to amazon.com - I didn't try that as the last book on the Kindle lasted just long enough!

Archived