Icy Straight Point - Whale Watching & Bear Watch with same Company?

Bigduff14

I am booked for both with Misty Bay Lodge in ISP. They offer both whale watching (which we'll be doing in the morning) and bear watching (which I'll be doing in the afternoon) as well as some other specialized tours. Check out their website - I think its www.mistybaylodge.com. Have had great customer service with them - they've phoned me twice, once after I made an email inquiry about their excursion opportunities, and once just to confirm my request for an add-on bear search right after my booked whale watch. Both Hope and Dan have been lovely to deal with.

I know there are several others that atleast offer whale watching, and may even offer bear searches as well. One that comes to mind is Glacier Winds and another is F.I.S.H.E.S.. Teckk Outfitters is another that does bear searches, but not sure about whale watching? Google "Hoonah, AK" and their is a listing of the local businesses who offer wildlife tours on their home page.

I went out for the day with Phil from the Brown Bear Lodge. Saw lots of bears and had a fantastic day driving around the area. This was my first time in Icy Strait and would like to visit again.

• 2 weeks later...

Last month we booked Misty Bay Lodge for whale watching in the morning and bear watching in the afternoon, exactly for that reason. Hope was very responsive via phone (not so much via email) and gave us the impression that by booking both, we would be with Dan for both and would be able to transition quickly from boat to van as they would give us a bag lunch to take with us.

Unfortunately, it did not work out that way at all.

We were actually paired with a different, part-time captain in their second boat (we had never been told this would be an option). Dan went with the other boat. Our captain was nice but very inexperienced in anticipating whale behavior and would consistently start sailing away from the whales just as they did something interesting (other boats nearby stayed put). We nearly missed the bubble net feeding thanks to this, but one member of our group happened to notice all the mouths coming up out of the water! Unfortunately by that point we were too far away. We also overheard some whale sounds from a hydrophone from another boat (I believe Fishes does this, but Misty Bay does not have a hydrophone on any of their boats, and I wish we had had a chance to hear the whales!).

Then, we were dropped off at Misty Bay Lodge for the bear tour. Again, Dan took another van of people out to look at bears, while we were left at the lodge waiting, because a couple had called to book a bear tour at the last minute and were being picked up at the ship. (We were a party of 5 plus 1 additional person in the whale boat, and my in-laws were also going to join us for the bear tour, but we were told they would have to find the lodge on their own. But the people who had booked at the last minute were picked up from the ship, while we all waited!) Hope did not know what to do with us at that point, and did not even provide our sandwiches so we could eat while we waited. (I finally went and got the sandwiches from the girls behind the counter. Sandwiches, by the way, were pretty expensive and were not included - you would really expect them to be, given the prices and the fact that we had booked the entire day with them.)

Hope just kept saying that they were so busy, and expanding. I'm not sure if they will continue to expand, though, given their treatment of current customers who have booked far in advance. They were totally disorganized about settling the final bill in person, as well. It's too bad, as they seem like nice people in general.

When our van finally arrived, the two people who had booked last-minute had taken up the entire front row, forcing those of us who had booked all day with Misty Bay Lodge to sit in the back. The van should not have seated more than two people per row, but they crammed us all in -- three per row in the back two rows, plus one in the front seat. Hugely uncomfortable for those of us in the back, especially for several hours' drive.

Our guide was Brian. He was nice, but I cannot believe they do not staff this with a driver (in the driver's seat) and a spotter (in the passenger's seat). It seems to be their goal to just pack the most paying customers in the van as possible, even at the expense of safety. The road all the bear tours use is very narrow, and we actually had a near head-on collision with a van coming around the corner the opposite direction. Most of us had dozed off (very little commentary, and as it happened, no bears) but were awakened with the panicked shouts of other passengers and saw a van nearly crash into us. Swerved, then missed the side of the van by about half an inch. Very scary. I also wasn't pleased when, every time we stopped at a salmon stream to look for bears, Brian would smoke a cigarette and toss the butt on the ground right by the stream. Not a wildlife-friendly practice! No bears the entire trip, although Dan's van (about 15 minutes ahead of us by that point) finally saw one at the end. The bear left just as our van pulled up.

Based on our interactions pre-cruise, we definitely got the impression that Misty Bay Lodge was a small, family operation and we would gain by booking with the same people for the whole day. But when we were actually there, they operated just as impersonally as a cruise line would -- packing as many people into the boats and vans as possible, with little regard for those who had booked them in advance for the whole day.

That said, if you want a small boat for your whale excursion, I'm not sure there are many options other than Misty Bay and Fishes. Just don't expect wildlife knowledge or commentary in this port. It's much more of, "I have a boat, I'll take you out." Fortunately, there are enough whales at Point Adolphus that you are likely to see something great anyway. Can't say as much for the bears.

That is too bad. TECKK Outfitters does both bear and whale tours. Keith is a native from Hoonah and has been doing this since the cruise ships have been coming in. Clean boat and vans, experienced guides.....maybe next time.

Floyd and Shawn are also life long Hoonah boys, but I don't think they do bear tours. Great companies though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for your problems with Misty Bay Lodge, DisneyGirl, sounds like youy had a miserable time. However, we experienced just the opposite with them last week on our cruise. We had a wonderful time, some countless instances of bubblenet feeding, breaching, flukes, tails and humps. We had Capt. Dan and he was fantastic! I went on a bear search with Brian afterwards and we had another productive excursion. Two bears - one we watched fishing in a stream for 45 minutes and one 'berry bear' half way up a hillside that we watched - both in close proximity - for over a half hour. It was the highlight of our trip and I would not hesitate to recommend Misty Bay Lodge for either excursion. I hope the OP, if they book with Misty Bay, has the same fantastic opportunity that we did. Smooth sailing!

So glad you had a great experience with Misty Bay Lodge 'Assateague Island Princes'! We're booked with them for next May and very much looking forward to a great time. We had the great fortune of staying in the 3 bedroom accommodation they have upstairs for three days back in 2008. It was owned by different owners back then; however I've been referring customers (I'm actually a travel agent) to Hope and Dan since they took over Misty Bay Lodge. I have not had any negative feedback and trust me, have no hesitation in booking with them for my own whale watching experience!

Budget Queen, you mentioned going out in May for both whale watching and bear "searching." I've read in numerous posts that the better chances for bear sightings are in July-August, but I was really wanting to at least give it a try while at Icy Strait Point. I'm planning an early June cruise. Did you happen to see any bears on your outing? I imagine even if there are no sightings, that'd it be a worthwhile experience anyway?

Budget Queen, you mentioned going out in May for both whale watching and bear "searching." I've read in numerous posts that the better chances for bear sightings are in July-August, but I was really wanting to at least give it a try while at Icy Strait Point. I'm planning an early June cruise. Did you happen to see any bears on your outing? I imagine even if there are no sightings, that'd it be a worthwhile experience anyway?

We just came back a week ago watching whales at icy strait with outfitters. A small family business but they have very professional staff - captain John and the naturalist (sorry forgot his name). owners are very friendly, Edna gave us a very interesting 15 mins guided car ride around the little hoonah town.

Yes, I did have sightings of 3 brown bears, did need binoculars for viewing. Going in June, should have more success. I suggest you contact your chosen vendor and discuss their sighting stats.

Archived