Earliest embarkation in New York

karenbeanpole

For those who have embarked in New York for a TA crossing to Southampton - what's the earliest you have been allowed to embark? Cunard tells me it's 12 - do people arrive earlier than that? In the past, when liners tell me it's 12, I've been able to check in at 11 and board straight after that.

Also, what time are cabins available from - are they available from 12? Just wondering whether to carry on my luggage rather than give it to them when I might have to wait ages for it to get to my cabin.

I have generally found that barring any late arrivals of the ship, check-in usually starts around 11am. You can drop your bags off as early as 8:30 am, at least that was the case last year at Manhattan terminal. As for Brooklyn, I have only arrived there, never embarked so I can't help you. :o

The earliest I have boarded at Brooklyn is a few minutes after noon and that was for the Platinum and Diamond members. Back before I reached that status I think the earliest I boarded was 12:15.

You can certainly arrive prior to noon, since you have to clear security and check-in. You will then be directed to the waiting lounge until the ship is ready for boarding.

I have always found that the cabin is ready and I can drop off my carry-on before heading to King's Court for lunch.

Linda

Please can you tell me if it is not the done thing to carry on our suitcases ourselves? If we can go straight to the cabin, I would have thought we can just take it on ourselves rather than wait hours before it arrives in the cabin. I like getting myself unpacked as early as possible instead of worrying whether I have time to get dressed for dinner if the bags are late arriving.

Please can you tell me if it is not the done thing to carry on our suitcases ourselves? If we can go straight to the cabin, I would have thought we can just take it on ourselves rather than wait hours before it arrives in the cabin. I like getting myself unpacked as early as possible instead of worrying whether I have time to get dressed for dinner if the bags are late arriving.

You won't have to wait hours for your suitcases to arrive. Ours have always been in the cabin waiting for us no matter what time we arrived.

You won't have to wait hours for your suitcases to arrive. Ours have always been in the cabin waiting for us no matter what time we arrived.

Same here.... on a rare occasion they show up while I am unpacking the carry-ons but never later than that.

I have seen large cases taken from passengers by the porters. They are sent through security scan and then delivered to the cabins. Unless your cases will fit through carry on security you will not be able to cary them on.:(

THey will reappear quite soon however.:)

B.

Thanks for the tips - I will not wrestle with them and let them take my bags! I just remember having to wait till after dinner before I got our bags on our first cruise on the Independence. It's reassuring to know that Queen Mary might be more efficient with less passengers.

Archived