Not Trying to Beat a Dead Horse!!

adios

I know that the whole "shorts in the dinning room" has been talked, and talked to death. Here is a new question about it though and I want some opinion. In April, my family of 8 is going on our yearly cruise. We will have our own table--not sharing with tablemates. What do you think about nice dress shorts and or jeans in that situation? Yes, the men in my family have very "sexy legs"!!!

I would have to say that it is not just about tablemates but the atmosphere of the dining room. There is a reason for a dress code. I personally like the fact that I get to wear nice clothing to dinner every evening. Not to mention that I would much rather spend the time to look nice than to be the talk of the ship the rest of the evening.

You asked.........I say absolutely not! Why is this such an issue. There are plenty of places to eat if you don't want to eat in the FORMAL DINING ROOM. Great legs or not!

It is the formal dining room.....not the Seaview cafe, or the windjammer......it is what it it.

Although the dress code for the dining room does say "suggested" , the statement on shorts is very clear. For breakfast and lunch, they are ok, they are not allowed for dinner in the main dining room. It won't kill any one to at least put on a pair of slacks for the 1-2 hrs that dinner takes. If you don't want to, go to the windjammer, that is what that restaurant is for.

ckrobyn, this horse will never die in our lifetimes. It is an immortal horse.

But the thing that cracks me up are the phrases "NICE jeans" and "NICE shorts".

Like if you go out and buy Calvin Klein jeans it is soooooo much better than Levi's and therefore, all of a sudden, acceptable.

Jeans are jeans and shorts are shorts and don't belong in the dining room in the evening.

celtic

I say follow the rules and wear pants.

BUT

Just about every cruise we have been on someone has come to dinner in shorts.

I really don't care what anyone else is wearing.

I follow the guidelines and that's all that matters to me.

I am in no way offended by seeing someone dressed in shorts. Honestly I usually notice the "senior" cruisers doing this more than the younger cruisers.

We have never actually seen anyone turned away for wearing shorts. (I am sure it happens but we have never seen it.)

Bobbie

Celtic. You are so right about the price paid or overpaid for jeans or shorts.

Jeans are jeans, denim is denim, shorts are shorts, recardless of the label.

I'm waiting for: "Yeah but what if they're Prada worn with Manolo Blahnik pumps and accessorized with a YSL clutch purse? AND I even ironed them!!!!"

celtic

Maybe it's just me, but I think there is a difference between cutoff-Daisy Duke type shorts and knee length khaki shorts--that have been ironed :)

This last post leads me to believe that when you asked the question you really only wanted answers that agreed with you.:mad:

I agree with the previous poster who stated that the dress code is for the restaurant, not the table.

I have seen jeans at dinner on my cruises not even occassionally -- rarely.

I have never seen shorts. I did see two people turned away from the dining room on the Coral Princess who were trying to get in with shorts on. Maybe they thought they were dressy shorts, but the maitre'd did not.

I would vote against it. The idea for dress codes is not on a per table basis but rather for everyone attending.

So NO do not show up with shorts for dinner.

Have a great next cruise with long pants for dinner.

I have a different opinion from all of you. I think that nice shorts being worn, at their family dinner table will be perfectly fine. :eek:

As long as their table is in the Windjammer. :D

Stretch

I, myself, would never show up for dinner in shorts. I like the whole 'get dressed up' thing....however, some people in my party don't like it. So, does that mean we have to eat in different dinning rooms? We are East Texans and our churches on Sunday morning are filled with blue jeans!! I really don't want my guests to fill like they aren't welcomed in the DR wearing what they are comfortable in. It's there vacation too, and they paid the same money as everyone else. Shouldn't each person be concerned about themselves and not pay so much attention to everyone else. In fact, as a human race, shouldn't we do that! We won't be at a table with strangers, making them uncomfortable. I wouldn't wear shorts, but that's me personally. I wanted to know what ya'll thought about it, considering we will be with other family members.

I don't do shorts in the "formal" dining room. I see the formal dining room, as it is currently defined, as a more formal spot and either conform to the best of my fashion-sense to the standards expected of me, or eat elsewhere.

However, I do agree with those posters that point out that the quality of the food in the formal dining room and the level of service is superior to that in the Windjammer or from room service. The Seaview/JR type alternative venues offer opportunities for casual dress, but at the price of not offering the same quality or variety of food. The other alt restraunts (Chops, Portifino) charge and do not offer any "relief" from the dress codes.

The real issue is that RCCI does not offer a true alternative to those folks who do not want to dress for dinner. If enough of these folks "vote with their feet" and/or complain, RCCI will look for a true alternative but I certainly would not want to be the person at RCCI to come up with that alternative!

Could be early seating is informal, late seating more formal, OR Port side more formal, starboard informal, OR whatever. Of course the issue would still not be at rest, since the folks on the "more formal" side, would still snipe at those folks who did not meet their own criteria of what "more formal" meant. AND those folks on the informal side would complain about whatever minimal standards that are placed upon them. Finally those families where the spouses disagree, would be placed on opposite sides of the Mason-Dixon line and would be reduced to waving to one another from their respective clothing ghettos :D

Maybe it's just me, but I think there is a difference between cutoff-Daisy Duke type shorts and knee length khaki shorts--that have been ironed :)

Adios, you're absolutely right that there is a difference, and I don't think that anybody would disagree with you there. I think the point that my fellow posters are trying to make is that even the knee length khaki shorts -- which, granted, are FAR more acceptable than Daisy Dukes in most social situations -- are still out of place in the dining room. Regardless of length or fabric or style, shorts are not appropriate for the F O R M A L dining room. However, in your nicer shorts, you would be perfectly dressed for the casual dining venues, or most anywhere else on the ship. Happy crusing! :)

Archived