Extended Stay Hollywood City pass- questions

Familygoboston

Thanks Peeker! I think here on the port boards, there are so many "one hits"- people ask a question, very few people respond and the op never reports how it turned out, if they tried it or liked it. So I like to follow up! It would be great of you did too, things change ( or don't!;)) but people like current news, that's why I was glad both Susan (jaksesmom) and Randy ( Rsharp) from my RC reported back on other threads that this excursion worked out well for their groups!

This one, I can't really call an excursion, it's more like a beach day with luggage handling, transportation, concierge services and facilities. I found it to be like getting an "extra" port day out of my cruise!:D

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from our wonderful Oasis vacation. We did this excursion afterwards since we had a 5:30 pm flight back. We signed up for it online before we left, you can do it once on board providing it doesn't fill up. There were alot of people on ours and I don't know if it was full or not. We were given luggage tag #17 and asked to leave our luggage out the last night. We were to report to Studio B at 7:45 departing at 8:00 am. Once in Studio B we were given a sticker with a letter on it (there was another shore excursion waiting there also with a different letter sticker). Once we could go and get our luggage we proceeded with our group (debarkation took a really long time) and then once outside the terminal we took a right by all the buses and walked all the way down. They took our luggage that we wanted to put under the bus and sorted it by airline. Once we got to the City Center they had a few refreshments handed out maps and a trolley card. They would also store any additional items for us. They had restrooms but no showers. They told us what time we had to be back and we were off on our own. We forgot to pack our bathing suits so we had to purchase them. The beach has chairs you can rent - $8 for just a chair and then $5 for an umbrella, if you wanted the 2 chair cabanna thing it was $26. We just laid our towel down and sat on that. The beach is nice and so is the Broadwalk. Lots of restaurants but I was hoping there would be more shops, their are a few. The beach is huge. Let me know if anyone has any questions. BTW Familygoboston I looked for your chairs but they were gone:eek:

Thanks for the updates. I signed up for this "excursion" for my daughter and myself at the end of our cruise on November 9th. I am really looking forward to it, and I appreciate the information that y'all have shared. I'll be sure to post a review in November.

• 3 weeks later...

We are really considering this excursion for our cruise next month. We have 13 and 17 year old sons and are worried that they might get bored. Is there a lot for them to do? They are thinking they might want to do an Everglades airboat tour instead. If there is a lot to do then I think this might be a better option to use up time since our flight doesn't leave FLL until 6:30pm. Has anyone found showers if we want to clean up after going to the beach?

We just got back from our wonderful Oasis vacation. We did this excursion afterwards since we had a 5:30 pm

BTW Familygoboston I looked for your chairs but they were gone:eek:

I'm sorry to hear they are gone:( they were great chairs!

We are really considering this excursion for our cruise next month. We have 13 and 17 year old sons and are worried that they might get bored. Is there a lot for them to do? They are thinking they might want to do an Everglades airboat tour instead. If there is a lot to do then I think this might be a better option to use up time since our flight doesn't leave FLL until 6:30pm. Has anyone found showers if we want to clean up after going to the beach?

Someone earlier on this thread mentioned that they did the airboats and loved it, but I have never done them, although I've been to the Everglades many times.

So two things- first, if you are traveling from afar to Florida for the very first time, I do think a trip (even a brief one) to the Everglades is a wonderful experience. While an airboat is thrilling, it's my opinion that its not the best way to experience it. I guess I'd say the difference is like going on a zip line in the rainforest vs doing a canopy hike. The first is far more thrilling and will hold the attention of certain groups of people (possibly teens), but a hike will really allow you to get up close with the natural. So for me it's just a philosophical preference. But if your teens love rollar coasters and thrills, they will probably love air boating. :D

The second thing is what there is to do at Hollywood Beach. My pictures don't do it justice, I really wish I had taken more of the things to do around there. But it was a little misty and DH had kept the main camera packed and we just didn't get many of the Broadwalk itself. But in addition to the beach and all the stuff you can do on the beach- including the rentals Peeker mentions above, there are also many shops and little places to eat. These are not swanky upscale places, but very family oriented. The whole area has more of a "Sat at the mall" feeling where I think teens would feel very comfortable wandering a bit on their own, and maybe meeting other kids from the community who hang there on the weekends.

Right at the community center is a large complex of courts and play structures. We saw young people playing there, and I would imagine since its part of the complex that hosts the excursion they could provide you with basket balls or tennis racquets etc.

We decided to rent bikes and the shop there rents some other types of wheels too (like inline skates and theses funky surf/skate boardv things.

There is also the trolly pass to the actual shopping center, if the weather is bad or if shopping is your thing- although I think this is in place largely for the shop keepers in those areas; so the community center is making an effort to direct traffic to their commercial core, and because many foreign visitors who have late flights often look for shopping opportunities due to favorable tax benefits of returning home with US merchandise.

As to the question of the showers- there are NOT showers at the community center. However there is an official beach public bath room about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the community center, and I did use it but didn't not peek around the corner to the other section (still kicking myself for that) to see if there were showers. But it was large and what else could be? Maybe up just changing rooms. Also, there were foot washes set up every 1/2 mile or so,along the edge of the beach...I keep hoping someone who goes will give that bathroom complex a good touring and report back;)

Tough choice- only you know your kids! Hopefully there is enough info here to make a,good choice for them!

I'm sorry to hear they are gone:( they were great chairs!

Someone earlier on this thread mentioned that they did the airboats and loved it, but I have never done them, although I've been to the Everglades many times.

So two things- first, if you are traveling from afar to Florida for the very first time, I do think a trip (even a brief one) to the Everglades is a wonderful experience. While an airboat is thrilling, it's my opinion that its not the best way to experience it. I guess I'd say the difference is like going on a zip line in the rainforest vs doing a canopy hike. The first is far more thrilling and will hold the attention of certain groups of people (possibly teens), but a hike will really allow you to get up close with the natural. So for me it's just a philosophical preference. But if your teens love rollar coasters and thrills, they will probably love air boating. :D

The second thing is what there is to do at Hollywood Beach. My pictures don't do it justice, I really wish I had taken more of the things to do around there. But it was a little misty and DH had kept the main camera packed and we just didn't get many of the Broadwalk itself. But in addition to the beach and all the stuff you can do on the beach- including the rentals Peeker mentions above, there are also many shops and little places to eat. These are not swanky upscale places, but very family oriented. The whole area has more of a "Sat at the mall" feeling where I think teens would feel very comfortable wandering a bit on their own, and maybe meeting other kids from the community who hang there on the weekends.

Right at the community center is a large complex of courts and play structures. We saw young people playing there, and I would imagine since its part of the complex that hosts the excursion they could provide you with basket balls or tennis racquets etc.

We decided to rent bikes and the shop there rents some other types of wheels too (like inline skates and theses funky surf/skate boardv things.

There is also the trolly pass to the actual shopping center, if the weather is bad or if shopping is your thing- although I think this is in place largely for the shop keepers in those areas; so the community center is making an effort to direct traffic to their commercial core, and because many foreign visitors who have late flights often look for shopping opportunities due to favorable tax benefits of returning home with US merchandise.

As to the question of the showers- there are NOT showers at the community center. However there is an official beach public bath room about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the community center, and I did use it but didn't not peek around the corner to the other section (still kicking myself for that) to see if there were showers. But it was large and what else could be? Maybe up just changing rooms. Also, there were foot washes set up every 1/2 mile or so,along the edge of the beach...I keep hoping someone who goes will give that bathroom complex a good touring and report back;)

Tough choice- only you know your kids! Hopefully there is enough info here to make a,good choice for them!

I think it sounds like a great time and I think it would eat up a lot more time before our flight than the airboat ride.

Did you happen to see any Segway tours on the Boardwalk? We have wanted to do that before and that might get my sons' attention.

I think it sounds like a great time and I think it would eat up a lot more time before our flight than the airboat ride.

Did you happen to see any Segway tours on the Boardwalk? We have wanted to do that before and that might get my sons' attention.

I just did a quick search for "Segway, Hollywood Beach, FL", and a number of sites came up.

It's such a wide walkway , it would be great for segways! That's loads if fun, we did them in SMX and it's a blast- it will be better there since its wider. Like I mentioned, there's plenty going on that would intrigue the average teen!

Good luck!

It's such a wide walkway , it would be great for segways! That's loads if fun, we did them in SMX and it's a blast- it will be better there since its wider. Like I mentioned, there's plenty going on that would intrigue the average teen!

Good luck!

Thank you familygoboston. We might give that a try. I will need to call them to see if they allow 13 year olds to ride a Segway. If so, then I think we may have found our activity. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you familygoboston. We might give that a try. I will need to call them to see if they allow 13 year olds to ride a Segway. If so, then I think we may have found our activity. :)

Fingers crossed for you- in SMX it was 10, but in WDW it was 16:( Im hoping for your sake, Hollywood has a liability policy somewhere between the two ;)

Fingers crossed for you- in SMX it was 10, but in WDW it was 16:( Im hoping for your sake, Hollywood has a liability policy somewhere between the two ;)

We have the excursion booked and I also reserved a Segway tour. The age limit worked out for our younger son. It should be a blast!

Now if I could just find out if there are showers anywhere to clean up before our flight if we go to the beach.

We have the excursion booked and I also reserved a Segway tour. The age limit worked out for our younger son. It should be a blast!

Now if I could just find out if there are showers anywhere to clean up before our flight if we go to the beach.

Oh, that's great! Segways are fun!

I'm pretty certain if you check the bath house at the official entrance of the beach, which is maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the community center where you will be based. If you are standing facing the beach with the community center at your back, go left down the Broadwalk, past the Marriott and you will eventually come to a parking lot and bath house right off the Broadwalk- I didn't check out the whole place, but I'm betting there are showers there! Do report back and let us know!

Have a great cruise and a great excursion!:D

• 3 weeks later...
Oh, that's great! Segways are fun!

I'm pretty certain if you check the bath house at the official entrance of the beach, which is maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the community center where you will be based. If you are standing facing the beach with the community center at your back, go left down the Broadwalk, past the Marriott and you will eventually come to a parking lot and bath house right off the Broadwalk- I didn't check out the whole place, but I'm betting there are showers there! Do report back and let us know!

Have a great cruise and a great excursion!:D

We are back from our cruise and just wanted to report that we really enjoyed our day on Hollywood Beach after the cruise. We did the Segway tour and had a great time. I would recommend Segway Hollywood to anyone who wants to give it a try.

We are back from our cruise and just wanted to report that we really enjoyed our day on Hollywood Beach after the cruise. We did the Segway tour and had a great time. I would recommend Segway Hollywood to anyone who wants to give it a try.

I'm so glad it worked out! Is Segway Hollywood located right on the Broadwalk? We rented bikes just about one block from the community center base, is it the same location? If you don't mind us asking, how much was it for a tour? Did you get time on your own or stay with the guide the whole time!

Glad you had a good visit and hopefully your cruise was also great!:D

I'm so glad it worked out! Is Segway Hollywood located right on the Broadwalk? We rented bikes just about one block from the community center base, is it the same location? If you don't mind us asking, how much was it for a tour? Did you get time on your own or stay with the guide the whole time!

Glad you had a good visit and hopefully your cruise was also great!:D

It is located right on the Broadwalk. It is a private guide but he runs his operation from where the Marriott is located. The total tour was about an hour and a half. The cost is $95 per person. It is a little expensive but it was a whole lot of fun. He takes you on a 9 mile tour.

It is located right on the Broadwalk. It is a private guide but he runs his operation from where the Marriott is located. The total tour was about an hour and a half. The cost is $95 per person. It is a little expensive but it was a whole lot of fun. He takes you on a 9 mile tour.

Sounds excellent! Thanks for the review!

• 2 weeks later...

I am very disappointed! I got an email from RC today, saying that our Hollywood City Pass excursion has been cancelled. Now I don't know what to do between the time we leave the ship and our 8:30 pm flight out of FLL.

The mall excursion doesn't interest me. The airboat one seems pretty short. The one with the air conditioned bus tour of Ft. Lauderdale plus a 90-min paddleboat ride sounds more comfortable, but I would MUCH rather spend the day on the beach in Hollywood. I wonder if we could still store our bags at the center (forgot what it is called) if we take a cab to Hollywood City, and another cab to the airport. Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide any information about the possibility of doing a Hollywood City visit on our own.

Joanna

I am very disappointed! I got an email from RC today, saying that our Hollywood City Pass excursion has been cancelled. Now I don't know what to do between the time we leave the ship and our 8:30 pm flight out of FLL.

The mall excursion doesn't interest me. The airboat one seems pretty short. The one with the air conditioned bus tour of Ft. Lauderdale plus a 90-min paddleboat ride sounds more comfortable, but I would MUCH rather spend the day on the beach in Hollywood. I wonder if we could still store our bags at the center (forgot what it is called) if we take a cab to Hollywood City, and another cab to the airport. Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide any information about the possibility of doing a Hollywood City visit on our own.

Joanna

Oh, Joanna, that's disappointing! I wonder if its just your dates (another event at the center that particular day?) or if they aren't offering it at all anymore?:(

With a flight that late, it might be worth your while to rent a car and just drive down there, and enjoy the day. There was public parking, and then your luggage could stay in the car and you could use the bath house for clean up etc. You could arrange a rental at the airport; we did this after our Allure cruise and we were off the ship, in the cab, at the airport rental car pick up and off on our way within 1 hour. If you use your phone or rent the GPS you could easily get to Hollywood and spend the day. We went to Miami and enjoyed several activities and lunch and were back to check into a FLL hotel by 3 PM, so you could make it no problem and have a nice day out there.

I wouldn't take the chance of just going hoping they could store luggage because it may not be staffed, or there may be a major event going on. Look into the rental car thing- out of FLL, OT wasn't as much of a hassle as I would have thought! Good luck and let us know what you do!

Oh, Joanna, that's disappointing! I wonder if its just your dates (another event at the center that particular day?) or if they aren't offering it at all anymore?:(

With a flight that late, it might be worth your while to rent a car and just drive down there, and enjoy the day. There was public parking, and then your luggage could stay in the car and you could use the bath house for clean up etc. You could arrange a rental at the airport; we did this after our Allure cruise and we were off the ship, in the cab, at the airport rental car pick up and off on our way within 1 hour. If you use your phone or rent the GPS you could easily get to Hollywood and spend the day. We went to Miami and enjoyed several activities and lunch and were back to check into a FLL hotel by 3 PM, so you could make it no problem and have a nice day out there.

I wouldn't take the chance of just going hoping they could store luggage because it may not be staffed, or there may be a major event going on. Look into the rental car thing- out of FLL, OT wasn't as much of a hassle as I would have thought! Good luck and let us know what you do!

Thanks for the tips. Actually, it might work out better this way anyway. If the weather is bad, we could plan something else, rather than being stuck at the beach on a rainy day. I can probably pay for the taxi to FLL and rent the car for about the same as the excursion would have cost. And we can stay later than 2:30 (when the bus was supposed to leave Hollywood Beach). Thanks for your encouragement. I'll be sure to let you know how everything turned out - after I get back late Nov. 9th, of course.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK, I'm back from a fabulous cruise on the Allure. OMG UNBELIEVABLE!

Anyhow, this post excursion is great for those who have late flights. I can't recommend it enough.

No they do not have showers in the restrooms. There are shower rinsing stations on the beach. We walked along the beach and rinsed our feet afterwards.

We walked the Broadwalk for a little while and then rode the trolley for a little while which is free w/ your little VIP card you receive. There are numerous options with the trolley that can take you all over the Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale beach and mall areas. They will assist you once you tell them what you would like to do. I would suggest at least have a couple of things in mind - beach, shopping, movie, lunch, nature walk so they can help you plan a nice day. They are very helpful. Do not show up expecting them to tell you what to do. Have a plan and they can assist you accomplish your goal.

We had lunch and ice cream on the Broadwalk after our trolley ride. Great way to spend a lazy day. Next time I'll rent a chair and blue cabana cover thingie and hang out on the beach. To me it was a perfect extra beach day. If you packed your bathing suit you could change in the restrooms. Bring your beach towel and you could rinse off pretty good w/ the outdoor shower things and dry off w/ your beach towel. Head back to the restrooms in the reception area and hop back in your clothes. There are public restrooms downstairs for the beach and kids waterpark patrons but use the ones in the reception area they are much nicer.

There is also a flat screen TV in the reception area. They turned it on so we could watch the football game. This is a nice cool and clean spot to relax before your late flight with plenty of options for you to have a nice afternoon instead of being couped up at FLL or MIA. They have a 2PM bus and a 4PM bus to take you back to the airport. We left our luggage secured under the bus. If you bring bags inside the reception area they will store them in a secured room. You have a slip that you complete and attach to your items in the secured storage.

Here's a picture of the inside of the reception area.

ry%3D400

Picture of Hollywood Beach. I took these standing on the Broadwalk.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Thanks CYNT! This is becoming the little thread with lots of info;) Whenever I search the port boards I am always frustrated with how many one hit wonders there are ...someone asks a questions, and none or one person answers! :( Thanks for adding info and pictures:D to make this helpful to future cruisers!!

One question of clarification: We know there are no showers in the reception center, but are there showers in that bath house on the beach? Sounds like that is also a no. Like you, we noticed the foot showers on the beach and figured you could get mostly clean between those and the reception bathroom before flying.

I think the trolley would be even more useful for days when the weather isn't great; you could still do this excursion and go to see a movie or to the mall.

Glad you had a great cruise, CYNT...isnt Allure AMAZING!?! Welcome back and thanks for the report!

Archived