Just off Spirit to Alaska- Great Trip! Long, Detailed Review with Pics!!

amdmsk

[quote name='valley406']Loved your review & pics. Is the boat tour in Tracy Arm necessary? I read somewhere that the Spirit was not far behind. Only difference was that you are closer to the water. What is your opinion? Is is worth the extra money? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Thanks! I would say that no, the boat tour is not absolutely necessary. The ship does cruise down the entire fjord and as close as it is able to get to the one glacier. On our cruise, the ship was able to get pretty close, I would say within 500 feet of the glacier and it did a complete turn around so that everyone could see the glacier before exiting through the fjord, though how close the ship gets varies each week with the ice conditions from what I hear and I think we were lucky to have gotten that close. It is also true that the ship is not far behind and sometimes, we could catch glimpses of it (made for great photo opportunities :D)...but, the Spirit always stayed right in the middle of the waterway as it traveled the fjord.

On the smaller boat, we were able to go to either side of the fjord and personally, we thought it was well worth the money for such an experience. We got so close to some of the waterfalls and land that I felt like I could at times reach out and touch it or feel the mist from the waterfalls. The boat tour also travels much faster through the fjord and makes many stops for pictures and wildlife sightings. You also get to see the floating icebergs much closer as well.
But, this is probably the biggest thing that made us think it was worth it: the boat goes to visit a second glacier that the cruise ship does not even get close to and that I don't think is even able to be seen from the ship. The boat got within 200 feet of the glacier I would say and spent a good 45 minutes just making slow circles around so that everyone got amazing views. From the boat, you could also see and hear the ice falling off the glacier. It made for an incredible experience and we all loved it and thought it was worth it. Hope that helps!! :)

We sailed Spirit out of Vancouver round trip, but I am sure you could have a similar plan sailing out of Seattle.

I researched on CC here and found out that the port has a secure place to leave your luggage when you depart your cruise. It was very reasonably priced, that was in 2009, so off the top of my head I do not remember the cost. We had a red eye flight out of Vancouver back to the east coast.

We did a city tour on our own, via the hop on hop off trolley and it was well worth the $40 fare, narrated all day tour of Vancouver. You can see the photos in the link in my signature.

When we were ready we got off the trolley back at the port, picked up our luggage and got a cab to the airport in plenty of time to catch our flight and the airport in Vancouver is across town from the cruise terminal.

If you have any doubts about missing your flight, then definitely go for the cruise excursion, but it is very doable on your own. You will have plenty of time to sleep on the flight back home, make the most of your time while you are on vacation! You won't regret it.

[quote name='Darlipoo'][quote name='amdmsk']

Thank you for your review. You mentioned that you were off the ship at 9:30 and ready for the bus to the airport. They have booked us on a 5:30 p.m. flight!!!! How long did it take to get to the airport from the ship? Sounds like we'll be spending many, many hours at the airport.
We leve 8/2[/quote]

I second the advice to do a ships excursion post cruise, that delivers you to the airport.
If you are disembarking on a Tuesday, the airport should not be quite as much a mess as it would be Saturday. But it can still take time to get through the security lines, etc.
If you do end up at SeaTac with way too much time to kill, there are lots of shops & restaurants. There are even places to get a shoulder massage or mani & pedi.

AMD and Can We Go YET?

Thanks for both your replies. We have paid Carnival for the airport transfer. Afterwards I saw about the combo city tour for late departures and transfer. I'm hoping that once we get on board we can see if adding the city tour will be possible. We both do love airports though and as long as there are restaurants and bathrooms, we'll be fine. 24 hours from now and we'll be at San Diego airport (in long lines no doubt! LOL ).

[quote name='Darlipoo']AMD and Can We Go YET?

Thanks for both your replies. We have paid Carnival for the airport transfer. Afterwards I saw about the combo city tour for late departures and transfer. I'm hoping that once we get on board we can see if adding the city tour will be possible. We both do love airports though and as long as there are restaurants and bathrooms, we'll be fine. 24 hours from now and we'll be at San Diego airport (in long lines no doubt! LOL ).[/quote]

You shouldn't have a problem trying to change it if that's what you decide. Have a great time!! Wish I was going back again! :D

Same thing happened on our June cruise with not being able to dock in Victoria due to high winds. I guess that is one port where ships miss many times even when sunny. Don't think we missed too much there though and it was enjoyable to be on the ship for our last night anyway just enjoying the Spirit!

Great Review! I took plenty of pics as well especially in Tracy Arm.

[quote name='chaser84']Same thing happened on our June cruise with not being able to dock in Victoria due to high winds. I guess that is one port where ships miss many times even when sunny. Don't think we missed too much there though and it was enjoyable to be on the ship for our last night anyway just enjoying the Spirit![/quote]

I'm glad to hear you say this. My wife and I kind of have the same idea.

We are going on this same cruise next July, and the last night of the cruise, the Victoria night, is our anniversary. Looking at the itinerary, we felt it would be better spent enjoying the ship, like you said, than trying to run around Victoria for only a couple of hours.

We're actually going to visit the ship steakhouse that night to celebrate our anniversary and the last night of our cruise, haha!

[quote name='Jsaxm']I'm glad to hear you say this. My wife and I kind of have the same idea.

We are going on this same cruise next July, and the last night of the cruise, the Victoria night, is our anniversary. Looking at the itinerary, we felt it would be better spent enjoying the ship, like you said, than trying to run around Victoria for only a couple of hours.

We're actually going to visit the ship steakhouse that night to celebrate our anniversary and the last night of our cruise, haha![/QUOTE]

We enjoyed the last night on board the ship as well, even though we were looking forward to seeing Victoria. When we first booked the cruise, I thought it was strange that the ship stopped in port the night before returning to Seattle, but we were going to get off anyway and see the city. With that being said, though it was disappointing, it was nice to spend the final night on board, and I would have MUCH rather missed this port than one of the Alaskan ports!

[quote name='macruisema']Thanks for the great review. We'll be sailing in September. Do they offer martini tasting on the Spirit? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they did have the martini tasting the one night. Almost every night, there was some sort of drink special or tasting type thing in the Spirit lobby.

Thanks for taking the time to do your review. We are going in June 2012 and are doing a lot of research beforehand. How much was the excursion at Tracy Arms?

BTW-when I booked the cruise yesterday, I was told that the Spirit's last crusie to Alaska would be Sept 2012.

[quote name='txboat71']Thanks for taking the time to do your review. We are going in June 2012 and are doing a lot of research beforehand. How much was the excursion at Tracy Arms?

BTW-when I booked the cruise yesterday, I was told that the Spirit's last crusie to Alaska would be Sept 2012.[/QUOTE]

The Tracy Arm excursion was around $160 per person. Expensive, but it was an incredible, once in a lifetime, experience!

Yeah, the Spirit is leaving Alaska after next summer...it's going to Australia!! I saw the cruise listed on Carnival's website and they mentioned it on board. Not sure what ship will take over the Alaska itinerary.

[quote name='l2f']OP, we plan to cruise Alaska soon. Your excursions sound like ones we aree interested in. May O ask if you booked thru Carnival or private?[/QUOTE]

We booked everything through Carnival, also pre-booked all of them a few months prior to the cruise. We really enjoyed all of them!

[quote name='elginkatie']Terrific review. We will be on Spirit in September, just a few more weeks. Can you tell me if Frontier Airlines participated in Carnival's Luggage Express in Seattle?[/QUOTE]

I just looked back at the Fun Times and no, Frontier Airlines does not participate in the luggage express.
You'll love the Spirit. It was a wonderful time!

We are very excited about sailing Spirit. Thank you for letting me know about Frontier. I just found out that they cancelled our return flight and have rescheduled us on a 10:39a flight. This is the second time that they have cancelled our return flight and scheduled us for 10:30a. This time there are no later flights. When did they start letting passengers off Spirit when you returned to Seattle? I'm nervous about keeping this new flight time; Frontier may have to provide us some other alternative.

[quote name='elginkatie']We are very excited about sailing Spirit. Thank you for letting me know about Frontier. I just found out that they cancelled our return flight and have rescheduled us on a 10:39a flight. This is the second time that they have cancelled our return flight and scheduled us for 10:30a. This time there are no later flights. When did they start letting passengers off Spirit when you returned to Seattle? I'm nervous about keeping this new flight time; Frontier may have to provide us some other alternative.[/quote]

Is it possible to reschedule to the next day and stay overnight in Seattle?
I'm not sure what time you can expect to be off the ship, & I'm not saying you'll miss the flight but my hunch is timing could be tight.

You might want to post this on the west coast board & see what people think. I live in Seattle but there are many who are better versed than me on how long it takes to get to the airport using the various shuttle services.

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen]Thank you for your tips, treats, and treasures of your cruise and whole vacation!! I'll be there next May for the first cruise out of Seattle, May 8th. The only time I've been to Washington is way back when they had the World's Fair in Spokane... :o ... So, I'm anxious to spend time there and on the cruise!!!

I like the idea of buying the pass with the discounted admissions... TY!!! And the Space Needle info... and EVERYTHING!!!

I was also curious about the sunset... and sunrise... I loved your photos and info! I wondered when it actually happened and if one would see it. TY!!!

We have booked the Tracy Arms excursion. My roomie insisted! After hearing about it and seeing your photos, too... I know it will be well worth it!

Darn about the Naturalist -- Naturist -- It might have proved an interesting Platinum Perk... :eek: ... ;)

Again... Thank you kindly!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived