Tours or Rental Car in Hawaii

Kruz Guys

We're on the Pride of America Dec 10, 2011 sailing out of Honolulu.

We have been tossing around the idea of renting a care in each port and doing "our own thing" but am not sure about that. It would be more enjoyable if we could team up with another couple of like interests. Anyone considering driving instead of taking tours?

We're reading the information about the NCL tours and also investigating independing tour companies in each port.

So far we are looking at the following independing tour companies. Have any of you ever used any of these?

Kauai Eden Tours - www.KauaiEdenTours.com

Marylou's Big Island Guided Tours- www.marylousbigislandguidedtours.com

Kauai Photo Tours - http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/kauai_tour_info.htm

Shore Excursions-Roberts Hawaii - www.gorabbitgo.com

What are you finding for independent tours companies?

We would like to get a small group together for independent tours, so if you are interested in getting a group together, let's exchange emails and what we're interested in doing.

There is definately not a lack of things to do and see on each island! What a great trip this will be.

Happy Cruising!

Kruz Guys

Stephen and Tom

Home Email: stephenandtom@att.net

Although we won't be on the same cruise with you, my husband and I did the very same thing on a Hawaiian cruise in 2008. We made reservations for a car at each port. Then, the night before, we went to Priceline and made a much lower offer for a car the next day. Every time we did it we got a rate that was at least half what our reservation was.

It was great having the freedom to go where we wanted, when we wanted, especially on the Big Island.

• 5 weeks later...

We have done the Hawaii cruise on POA twice. Both times we rented cars in order to do our own thing. The second time NCL offered the ability to rent cars through them. We though that was great and the rate was comparable to what we'd paid in the past. When we arrived in our first port (Hilo), we found that we had to be bussed to the airport to pick up the cars. There were literally hundreds of other passengers waiting for the buses to the airport and NCL would only allow one person per group to ride the bus to get the car. So, you had to get the car and drive back to the pier to get the rest of your group. Upon arrival at the airport there was a huge line, because we were all booked with the same agency. It took over two hours standing in line to finally get a car. By the time I got a car and returned to the pier to pick up my partner, we had only three hours before we had to return the car in order to guarantee making it back onboard. We cancelled our NCL reservations for the remaining ports and rebooked on our own.

I would still say that a car is the way to go in Hawaii. None of the islands are difficult to navigagte. Plus doing a car gives you the ability to see what you want and spend as much time as you would like. We have had great luck with Thrifty. They will pick you up from the ship and deliver you back at the end of the day.

Have a great time!

I agree with Northwestbear. We're booked on an 18 night cruise from Sydney to Hawaii, & have not only rented cars in both Maui & Oahu, but on Moorea as well. (Might rent more on other French Polynesian islands.) A couple are within short walking distance from the dock and the other has agreed to meet us at the dock. We made sure we got 4-door vehicles with enough room to be able to invite another couple to join us if we really hit it off on the ship. I've printed out road maps of the islands, so we should be good to go!

• 2 weeks later...

We are heading to Hawaii November 1st on Celebrity Century and after much research have decided to rent a car at each port. My partner loves photography and just got a new camera in May for our Grand Canyon visit. We like the option of being able to stop where we want for as long as we want. You never kow when a great photo op will appear and this gives us the option to do what we want. I've found a couple online sites through cruise critic for discount car rentals throughout Hawaii. I was able to use these sites and cut the price of my already reserved reservations by about $10 per rental. The sites also advised what code to use for which rental company at each port.

We rented cars from Thrifty for most ports. We had a hotel/rental car deal for arriving in Honolulu and then rented cars in Maui (overnight), Hilo and Kauai (overnight) and again for the day when we disembarked in Honolulu (evening flight).

Shuttle buses were plentiful and never packed (though I have heard that if it is very buys they may limit it to only the driver and not their whole group). We also did some excursions through NCL and combined that with heading out on our own. For example, in Hilo we booked an early helicopter flight through NCL and then picked up our rental car at the airport (just told them we would not be on the excursion shuttle back to the ship).

• 4 weeks later...

This is what we did:

Big Island

Hilo - rented a car and drove to Volcanoes National Park

Kona - took the Zodiak Snorkeling Tour (I strongly

recommend this tour if you love snorkeling. This was

probably the best snorkeling that we have ever done,

even in the Caribbean).

Maui - Day 1 - rented a car and drove to the Maui Swap

Meet, state park (Needle) not far from the pier, and

to Kaanapali Beach. Spent that evening at the theater

seeing a producation.

Maui - Day 2 - rented a car and drove to Haleaka for a zip

line and then to the top of the crater.

Kaui - Day 1 - rented a car and drove to Waimea Canyon

and then took a snorkeling excursion to the Napali

Coast.

Kaui - Day 2 - rented a car and went to Popui (spelling)

Beach and area.

We only rented a car on Oahu to drive to the North Shore. I booked all of our excursion, except the Zodiak snorkeling tour on the Big Island myself.

Gary

Thanks, Gary for posting your info! Can you tell me a little about the zip line you took in Haleaka? Was it a good one & would you do it again? Right now, we're just renting a car & doing the road to Hana bit, but was wondering if the park & crater might be more interesting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!! Ken

In Honolulu (if arriving early) and on Maui - definitely rent a car. On Maui, the less traveled east side of the island (the more undeveloped side if I am off on direction) is just gorgeous and a trip up to the top of the big peak is also very cool (literally, bring a jacket, there can be snow).

On Kauai, we did a helicopter and rented a car because a helicopter is the only way to see the amazing vistas and mountains on the north coast - which is inaccessible by car. It was amazing. On the Big Island we also took a helicopter tour to make sure we could be more up close and personal with the volcano. I didn't feel like there was as much there to rent a car for, since so much is off the beaten path there.

Have fun!

We rented a car at three stops, Kauai, Maui and at Hilo. You get to go at your own pace and you don't have others slowing you down. Drove to Waimea Canyon in Kauai and it was spectacular. Those on the directed tours didn't see as much as we did. We were on Maui for two days so we did the road to Hana one day and a north coast trip the next day. At Hilo, we went to Volcanoes Park and walked right up to the lava flows. Something you must see if you're going. Only issue would be to keep track of time, it can drift by quickly and you know the drill about getting back on time.:eek:

We rented a car on Oahu for our pre-cruise days. One of our travel mates is a former resident, so had an idea where to navigate us to (with some license as things had changed in 20-25 years). But we didn't want to mess with a car at the port stops, getting lost, getting gas, wasting time getting to the car pick-up point and back, and of course loosing track of time and missing the ship.

So we booked tours with Roberts Hawaii, which were all fine, much better priced than the NCL tours and the sandwiches and snacks were better, from what we heard. We could just enjoy the scenery and not have to navigate. With a car, the driver has to focus on the road and misses most of the view.

That said, if I had a family, I think the car would be far cheaper on a per person basis than tours, so you just have to weigh it out for your own case.

I will check on the company for the zip line. Yes, I would do that again even though I am afraid of heights. There is now a zip line near Kaanapali Beach, but that is more out in the open. I liked going on the zip line on Haleakala as it was in the trees. Take the zip line first thing in the morning and then drive up to the top of the crater. It is a different world up there! There is a little store before you get to the zip line that sells tasty baked goods. From Haleakala we drove to the arts town and then on to a fun little hippy town. I will have to get my map out. Our ears got clogged from going up all of the mountains and snorkeling.

I must tell you that Norwegian gave us a anniversary reception even though it wasn't our anniversary. We a cake reception and then every night were presented with treats in our room. We gave most of our food to a (straight) couple who was celebrating their wedding.

I can't emphasize enough to fly into Honolulu a couple days ahead of time. We had a great hotel across the street from the beach with views of Diamond Head and the ocean. You can either splurge and spend a lot of money on food on the islands or eat well and not spend a lot.

Let me know if you have further questions. Feel free to email me. I kept all of our pamphlets. We took over 1,000 pictures on this trip.

Gary

It's been interesting reading all of the posts here and good information.

We've decided that since this is our first trip to Hawaii, we will leave the driving to the tour guides we've booked or local transporation in each port. Don't want to miss anything, and if we rent a car, one has to navigate and the other has to drive.

Maybe next trip we can do the car thing. It does sound like a good way to go.

52 days until we fly to Oahu. But who's counting? :rolleyes: :p :D

Kruz Guys

We've decided that since this is our first trip to Hawaii, we will leave the driving to the tour guides we've booked or local transporation in each port. Don't want to miss anything, and if we rent a car, one has to navigate and the other has to drive.

Maybe next trip we can do the car thing. It does sound like a good way to go.

Rental cars and GPS... we were good to go. :) I programmed most locations we wanted to visit to into the GPS before we left which made it very easy.

Archived