Misc. Tipping Question: Camp Carnival, Baggage Handling

AnnYM

Getting excited about our Legend cruise in a few weeks!

1. For those who have used Camp Carnival & other youth programs, how are tips handled? do you tip one person and they all pool the total? or do you have to tip individual counselors separately?

2. How does luggage drop-off/check-in work?

When you drop off your luggage to the curbside porters, are you also checking them in? Are they part of the same team that bring them to your room, or do they just bring them up to the cruise check-in desk for you?

Thanks!

Getting excited about our Legend cruise in a few weeks!

1. For those who have used Camp Carnival & other youth programs, how are tips handled? do you tip one person and they all pool the total? or do you have to tip individual counselors separately? Haven't used, so not sure.[/color]

2. How does luggage drop-off/check-in work?

When you drop off your luggage to the curbside porters, are you also checking them in? Are they part of the same team that bring them to your room, or do they just bring them up to the cruise check-in desk for you? Once you drop them off with the porters, you will not see them again until they arrive to your cabin. The porters do not work for the cruise line and do not deliver them to your room. The cruise crew will actually deliver them to your cabin.[/color]

Thanks!

Have a wonderful cruise!

I generally only sail out of Port Canaveral, but what I usually do is pull up to the cruise terminal.. Meet with a porter who is willing to take our bags and hand him $10 for our 3 bags (you can tip as you see fit) and then head inside the cruise terminal. The porters will place your bags in carts that will be loaded into the ship, sorted through, and then delivered to the staterooms.

I haven't personally used Camp Carnival myself, but it seems that most parents tip the counselors at the end of the week or cruise.

The porters work for the port that you are tipping. They bring your checked luggage to a central point where crew brings them to your cabin.

Even though the porters dont bring the luggage far, they still expect to be tipped!!! lol

Yes, when you give your checked luggage to a porter, you are checking in those pieces of luggage that you dont want to carry on, or that are too big to carry on.

I think a lot of people forget or dont know about tipping the porter.

July 3 at POM, 10:00 AM, a family come out of a van with maybe 12-15 pieces of luggage... the porter take all the luggage and do what he has to do... everyone in the party leaves without tipping... the porter runs after one of the men and a argument begins.

Don't know the rest of the story but there was a big an angry porter !

Personnaly, i alaways give 5$ for our 3 pieces.

Porters...we usually tip about $10...it is not necessary to tip them but not sure if you will make it on the ship with dry bags:eek:

If we are in the room we try to tip the guy that brings out bags $5 or so...last cruise we were walking by and saw our bags in the luggage area on our floor...hubby asked one of the guys if he could grab our bags, he said no, we couldn't go in there but he asked which ones were ours...hubby showed him and handed him $10 and we had our bags within the next 2 minutes at our room...not something we normally do but a small price to pay to be able to unpack that much sooner...I can't really relax until I am unpacked and put away:(

As for Camp Carnival, there are different councelors for each age group. There are usually a few councelors in that group. Not sure if they pool the tips or what but according to daughter, she pretty much attaches herself to one of them and they seem to be the one that work mostly with her and we usually tip that one...I don't know what they do with it from that point on but I know I have taken care of the one(s) that has taken care of my daughter...

If my child has been a regular attendee at camp carnival then I will tip the counselor(s) that seems to be there the most with my child's group. I would tip them like I would the waiters at our table or our room steward.

I also tip the porter at the terminal because while he's not doing a whole lot, I like to make sure my bags make it to where they need to be.

The porter does very little work but gets all of the tip.

To me it is a racket but we pay to make sure our suitcase does not get wet.

The last time I sailed out of the Fort Lauderdale port (2007) they had a sign up saying the "porters do not work for tips", or "no need to tip the porters"...something like that. Is that sign still there?

First time I had ever seen that and I am a reliable porter tipper.

Dropped the bags off at the cage and got yelled at for not leaving a tip. Our bags arrived sage and sound but Why have the sign if the porters still expect a tip?

The last time I sailed out of the Fort Lauderdale port (2007) they had a sign up saying the "porters do not work for tips", or "no need to tip the porters"...something like that. Is that sign still there?

quote]

Vancouver also doesn't do tips. Won't even accept them if offered.:)

LOl I remember my first cruise leaving on RCCL and the porter told me " you tip me now as you will not see me anymore". I was a cruise virgin, so I did as told...but thinking about it, I was and will be offended if "asked" for a tip. I generally do tip but I like it to be my choice:rolleyes:

Archived