Cruising the week before Christmas - what's it like?

I don't think that's the case at all.

Prices for many cruises that time of year are typically lower - except for Christmas - because it is a busy time of year and lots of people are too busy to vacation in December.

So the cruise lines use lower prices to entice bookings :)

That part in bold is kind of what I meant, though maybe not worded properly. I know they always sail full but I'd imagine that at that time of year, it's a tougher sell.

Here are some pictures from the Norwegian Dawn,

December 2010. Lot of Christmas Decorations.

From what I have heard most ships start

putting decorations up the 2nd week in Decenber.

This was really an unbelievable display.

We were on a five (12/12/10-12/17/10) cruise to the WC!!

NCL spent almost two full days setting up this display..

100_1273.jpg

100_1276.jpg

100_1271.jpg

100_1272.jpg

I have read that they usually decorate around Thanksgiving. Is there is anyone who has been on a sailing during this time that can confirm this?

This is our favorite time of year. The ships do sell out, mostly because of the great prices. We've both November and December cruises.

The ships have been beautifully decorated during both months. They ususally begin putting up the Christmas decorations the first week in November.

As far as kids, there were still quite a few kids on board, but as a previous poster indicated, the Camp Carnival staff do a great job with keeping them busy with activities, they even put on a Holiday show to include Santa and the kids are involved in the show. This is a must see...it's really a heart warming little show and has brought tears to our eyes on many occasions.

The sea days do tend to be a bit chilly but at least it's not 105 degrees in the shade. LOL

All of those decorations look beautiful! Unfortunately, as we were going over our plans yesterday I realized that I made a mistake. I'm a teacher and our school break doesn't start the week of the 19th, but the week after. So, no pre-Christmas cruise for us. The good news is that I'm still off the week of Jan. 2 so as long as DH is clear for that week, we'll be going :D

Anyone know how soon after Christmas the decorations come down? Would they already be gone by Jan. 2nd?

I don't think that's the case at all.

Prices for many cruises that time of year are typically lower - except for Christmas - because it is a busy time of year and lots of people are too busy to vacation in December.

So the cruise lines use lower prices to entice bookings :)

That is why we are cruising in the beginning of December. The kids are adults so we no longer have to worry about school. We're very happy to take advantage of the good prices.

Here are some pictures from the Norwegian Dawn,

December 2010. Lot of Christmas Decorations.

From what I have heard most ships start

putting decorations up the 2nd week in Decenber.

This was really an unbelievable display.

We were on a five (12/12/10-12/17/10) cruise to the WC!!

NCL spent almost two full days setting up this display..

100_1273.jpg

100_1276.jpg

100_1271.jpg

100_1272.jpg

Those pictures are fantastic. Thanks for posting them. :)

I have read that they usually decorate around Thanksgiving. Is there is anyone who has been on a sailing during this time that can confirm this?

We have cruised several times during the first and second week of December and the ships are fully decorated for Christmas. CCL doesn't go all out like HAL, but the decorations are nice. Ships have not had a great number of children onboard and the cruises were very relaxing while everyone at home is in a shopping frenzy. We always arrive back home relaxed and celebrate a calm "merry little Christmas."

Just wanted to share that we booked today :D Took a bit longer than I had hoped to get things sorted out but we are now booked and very excited for our first Carnival cruise!

We'll be on the Imagination the week of Jan. 2nd. It would be great if the holiday decorations were still up but we're just happy to be able to go. Can't wait!

Archived