Cruising the week before Christmas - what's it like?

Hi all! DH and I are considering the Imagination 4-night Western itinerary for the week of Dec. 19th. It's really well priced, it fits perfectly into our vacation schedules, and airfare is quite good right now so it would be a fantastic opportunity for a quick getaway. I'm just wondering what we can expect for the week before Christmas?

The low price suggests to me that they're not expecting it to be a big seller, at least not so far, but it seems like that would be a good time for families to go. I don't mind kids but I don't want to fight crowds either. We're looking for a fun, relaxing getaway.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Thanks!

I did Triumph last year and got off 3 days before xmas. We had a holiday party with Santa, which for us was on a sunday afternoon. Some missed it, as I dont think they expected a big xmas party midafternoon. I think dressed up staff at the end passed out candy canes, though I didnt get one, but could have been where I was sitting out of the way. Nice party.

The ship was decorated thru out.

We've done it twice. Very festive atmosphere, although not that many kids onboard the week before Christmas. It does feel a little strange walking around the islands, which are all decked out for Christmas, with the hot sun and humidity and everyone in swim suits! It does, however, feel hectic getting home and "doing" Christmas so soon.

We've cruised over Christmas before, and last year we did a 6 day that ended on Christmas eve. There were lots of families with children on board, the cruise was full and people were in the holiday spirit. It was nice and relaxing except for the flying part. Be aware that a snow storm in Chicago can throw off every airport in the country. :) We should have arrived home on the afternoon of the 24th, but didn't actually get here until the wee hours of the 26th.

The cruise was wondeful and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Just pack some patience for the airports if you have to fly.

We did a Princess five-day last December. Left on the 18th and returned on the 23rd. It fit with our schedules as the last day of school before the break was the day before and we were able to get back in time for Christmas Eve. Also celebrated two birthdays during the five days. The ship was sold out for the mere fact that the cruise also fit into everyone else's schedules. The ship was decorated for the holidays. Some passengers brought little Santa hats for their pictures on the beaches etc.

We went on the Ecstacy MId Dec 2009 and it was great the kids had not gotten out of school yet so the numbers were low. The Christmas decos were great. They had Christmas show the kids got to get on stage and preform. Then Santa and his elves come on stage and all the kids got to take pics with Santa. My son who was then 14 chose to sit with the very pretty girl elves for pics rather than with

Santa...imagine that (haha)

Went on the Norwegian Dawn,

12/12/10, had a great time.

Had my 10 yo niece on her 1st cruise.

Not a lot of kids, but we got a great

price, Jr. Suite for $481 p/p.

Price was to good to pass up.

Booked this trip three weeks

before we cruised.

You can always get some great

last minute prices for the 1st two

weeks in Decmber.

Then the prices seem in some cases

to triple what the 1st two weeks were..

I wonder if my wife will let me set with the "Elves";) probably not:(.

We went on the Ecstacy MId Dec 2009 and it was great the kids had not gotten out of school yet so the numbers were low. The Christmas decos were great. They had Christmas show the kids got to get on stage and preform. Then Santa and his elves come on stage and all the kids got to take pics with Santa. My son who was then 14 chose to sit with the very pretty girl elves for pics rather than with

Santa...imagine that (haha)

We're on the Spirit for the Dec. 2nd to Hawaii cruise. I am looking forward to seeing the ship decorated for Christmas! I've already contemplated the logistics of me putting up the tree this year. Before we leave seems a little early and I don't know if I'll have the time after we get home.

Hi all! DH and I are considering the Imagination 4-night Western itinerary for the week of Dec. 19th. It's really well priced, it fits perfectly into our vacation schedules, and airfare is quite good right now so it would be a fantastic opportunity for a quick getaway. I'm just wondering what we can expect for the week before Christmas?

The low price suggests to me that they're not expecting it to be a big seller, at least not so far, but it seems like that would be a good time for families to go. I don't mind kids but I don't want to fight crowds either. We're looking for a fun, relaxing getaway.

Thanks!

You will find a full sailing as is usual for just about all the ships, you will have alot of kids and wonderful xmas decorations!

we LOVE cruising at this time.....my 1st cruise was the week after Thanksgiving on The Imagination....we've done every December last 4 years now...weather has always been great...day at sea back always seems choppy & windy.....prices are great,s ome of the lowest of the year....and the closer the end of the cruise is to Christmas makes us feel like we're on vaca all month....extends the holidays.....

We did the Imagination the week before Christmas and it was great. There were quite a few people on board with us. The price was awesome and the ship was decorated for the holidays. It was great. I think you should do it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! It sounds like a great time, we'd love to go. We just have to wait until Tuesday morning to be 100% sure that DH can take the time off. Fingers crossed the airfare doesn't change between now and then...I already have visions of Warm Chocolate Melting Cake and Nachi Cocom dancing in my head :D

Edit: just realized Nachi might not work out with the time we have in port. Well...I can still dream, right? ;)

Not to hijack this thread but instead of starting a new one.....When do they usually decorate the ships for Christmas? We leave on the Triumph on Dec 10....will it be decorated by then? Thanks to anyone who has insight!!

Not to hijack this thread but instead of starting a new one.....When do they usually decorate the ships for Christmas? We leave on the Triumph on Dec 10....will it be decorated by then? Thanks to anyone who has insight!!

I have read that they usually decorate around Thanksgiving. Is there is anyone who has been on a sailing during this time that can confirm this?

Just be prepared that your sea days may not be as warm as you would like!! We had that problem in March..

That is definitely a concern, I'm hoping it is about the same as going up to Canada in early June. We did that last month and lets just say that no one got a tan on that trip.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! It sounds like a great time, we'd love to go. We just have to wait until Tuesday morning to be 100% sure that DH can take the time off. Fingers crossed the airfare doesn't change between now and then...I already have visions of Warm Chocolate Melting Cake and Nachi Cocom dancing in my head :D

Edit: just realized Nachi might not work out with the time we have in port. Well...I can still dream, right? ;)

Mom and I took some snorkeling equipment with us and we spent the day with our butts to the sky over at Chankanaab. Admission is $19 online if you prepay ( bring your receipt with you), plus your cab fare. Margaritas are $5 each and the beach waitstaff take good care of you. You can get snorkel vests there free of charge. We had the absolute BEST time!

Mom and I took some snorkeling equipment with us and we spent the day with our butts to the sky over at Chankanaab. Admission is $19 online if you prepay ( bring your receipt with you), plus your cab fare. Margaritas are $5 each and the beach waitstaff take good care of you. You can get snorkel vests there free of charge. We had the absolute BEST time!

That sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion. I bought a snorkel kit and an underwater camera for our March cruise, but I was sick and the water was cold so I never got to use them.

Thanks so much for posting those pictures, littleguy! Looks beautiful!

I think is the first time that I've ever wished for a long weekend to be over already! I just want Tuesday morning to come so I know for sure that I can book it. Too bad there's no "impatient" smiley!

Thanks!

I don't think that's the case at all.

Prices for many cruises that time of year are typically lower - except for Christmas - because it is a busy time of year and lots of people are too busy to vacation in December.

So the cruise lines use lower prices to entice bookings :)

Archived