San Francisco in January?

rosiebee

We're two very excited, but slightly nervous, Brits who'll be stopping off at San Francisco for three nights in mid January. This will be on the way to doing a stay-cruise-stay around Hawaiian Islands and Honolulu.

Any advice on what to expect weather wise in San F would be gratefully appreciated. We're not expecting to wear shorts and tee shirt, but how wrapped up will we need to be? We want to be prepared so that the weather doesn't stop us enjoying any bits of our trip.

This is probably the first of many questions. First time in the States and so looking forward to it.

Rosie:)

San Francisco weather in January will be cool and rainy. It seldom gets really cold, so you don't need to pack anything really heavy - just some warm layers will do. Also bring an umbrella or something waterproof that will keep you dry.

p.s. Here's an article that may be helpful: http://www.sftravel.com/sanfranciscoweather.html

it might rain, but it might not. We have had some fairly sunny Januarys. so bring layers & expect anything :) I do recommend a rain coat, but as Brit, I'm sure you have one already ;)

The weather at that time of the year is likely to be warmer than the summer months, when we get fog. Enjoy my adopted hometown :)

it could be 10 c. (50 F. ) and cold and rainy and blowing a big storm in off the pacific. or it could be 75 degrees and sunny. average--60 degrees. always cool and breezy in evenings.

so layers and good raincoat, waterproof shoes, a layer of fleece or sweater, and you should be good. never freezing.

forget shorts.. no one wears them here (ha ha).

As others have said the weather could be warm or cool.

It also could be fairly cold.

It all depends.

I would take a sweater, sweatshirt and or a fleece and a waterproof type of jacket.

You'll have shorts for Hawaii but keep them in the suitcase for San Francisco.

It's a wonderful city. We used to live outside the city, have visited there often and will actually be there for a few days in the next two weeks.

Enjoy!

Keith

Thanks all for your suggestions. We're going over to Las Vegas after Hawaii and from what I've been reading, I think we'll be needing the fleeces and sweaters there as well.

Counting down the weeks.

Rosie:)

Archived