Anchorage to Denali Help??

ULCajunCruiser

Getting close to my trip :D Arrive in Seward Fri Aug 26th!!

Plan is to catch the Park Connection from Seward to Anchorage, then picking up a rental there and continuing on to Denali. Can you guys give me an idea of what I can expect in terms of driving times. What would you suggest for food. Do I have time to make stops along the way???

I have a milepost ordered, but its not in yet. Maybe it will answer all my questions, but if you can get me started it will ease my anxiety, I am a compulsive planner. I want to know where should I eat lunch? dinner?? I know to fill up (if needed) in Wasilla, right?

Taking the long 12 hour tour into Denali on Sat. Should I buy food for that in Anchorage?? What should I know that I don't???

Sunday is pretty much a "free" day. No plans, just driving back to Anchorage. Any suggestions on things I can do to fill it??

Thanks!!!

I would stock up on portable food either in Anchorage or in Wasilla. Much cheaper than further north. You have the word on buying fuel.

You can buy sandwiches and stuff prior to your ride through Denali NP in the Glitter Gulch area, but I prefer to have my own food. I use a small soft sided cooler to keep things nice.

And a Thermos for coffee

And some bottled water

And junk food.

There have been plenty of topics up about the drive. You will have plenty of time for stops along the way. You will love the MILEPOST.

Expect a long day. You get into Anchorage at 1.30pm on the bus, then probably not at your car rental company until 2pm. Then another 1/2 hour in line and getting the rental paperwork signed. Then not to a supermarket until 3pm to shop, if not stopping somewhere first for a bite to eat. Figure at least 1/2 hour shopping so between that and eat, it is already at least 4pm. Figure at least 5 hours to Denali, more if you hit construction slowdowns, slow RV's, wildlife or the Mountain being visible, etc. So you won't get to Denali until 9-10pm or later.

I agree that Anchorage and Wasilla are the best places to get snacks. If you don't mind a late dinner, Talkeetna would be a good choice. Otherwise, Wasilla. In the Denali area, you can get food to go at the Subway in Glitter Gulch.

Archived