Soy ice cream?

pseudoswede

Miss Swede is allergic to dairy products.

We know it's going to be nearly impossible to ask CCL to stock rice milk (her preferred milk) for us for our cruise (and dairy-free butter), but has anyone gotten them to stock soy ice cream?

My 6yo daughter is also allergic to dairy. We've never found soy ice cream or rice milk on board, but they do have soy milk available in the dining room. The servers were happy to put some chocolate syrup in to make a nice "chocolate milk" when her brother was getting hot chocolate.

Depending on the degree of your daughter's allergy, you might want to contact Guest Services ahead of time to make special arrangements. My daughter's allergy is mild enough that possible cross-contamination is not an issue, so we are able to get by with just speaking to the Asst. Maitre'd on the first night at dinner. We explain the allergy and the extent, and they point out what would be safe for her to eat. From then on, every night they bring the next night's menu to the table for us to choose her meal, which allows them to make special arrangements if there is nothing suitable for her to eat. It's never been a problem, and they are very gracious about it.

Sorry if this is more info than you were looking for! ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Her dairy allergy is a fickle thing. If you (accidentally) give her a glass of milk or yogurt, she'll react pretty severely. However, she has no problems eating things like buttermilk bread (i.e., milk in baked items).

Her allergies to eggs and nuts are much more severe. We have sailed with RCCL before, and provided them with our information well prior to sailing, and I'd give them a B- for effort (although an A+ for the fruit sorbets the MDR made her).

We'll certainly contact Special Needs before we sail. We'll also probably bring a few cartons of rice milk with us (along with a doctor's note) because she loves cereal for breakfast.

Thanks for the reply.

Her dairy allergy is a fickle thing. If you (accidentally) give her a glass of milk or yogurt, she'll react pretty severely. However, she has no problems eating things like buttermilk bread (i.e., milk in baked items).

Her allergies to eggs and nuts are much more severe. We have sailed with RCCL before, and provided them with our information well prior to sailing, and I'd give them a B- for effort (although an A+ for the fruit sorbets the MDR made her).

We'll certainly contact Special Needs before we sail. We'll also probably bring a few cartons of rice milk with us (along with a doctor's note) because she loves cereal for breakfast.

I'm pretty sure that they don't have soy ice cream but they do have soy milk for her cereal. The Carnival website says to speak to your head waiter the 1st night about dietary restrictions. I don't think they will "stock" anything special based on one passengers dietary restrictions.

As long as you take a product that does not need to be refrigerated you should be fine. They will not be able to keep it in the galley refrigerator and the Mini Bar Fridge in the cabins will not be cool enough to keep items from spoiling. You may be able to request a smaller medical size fridge like they keep insulin in for use in your cabin that would have a lower temp capability

Good Luck and have a Terrific Cruise.:)

My granddaughter can only drink lactose free milk....not soy. We contacted special needs before we went and then as soon as we got on board we went and visited with the matre'd and he checked to make sure they had it for her. They did and she had a wonderful time.

My granddaughter can only drink lactose free milk

This is one popular misconception: dairy allergy does not mean lactose-intolerant. Miss Swede will develop hives and severe vomiting if she ingests milk--which can also lead to anaphylatic shock.

I'm actually surprised soy ice cream has not become a little more standard. I imagine there are a decent number of people who cruise that are vegetarians.

Archived