What is St. Martin known for?

Can anyone tell me what is a must see or do in St. Martin? I have heard of Orient beach, but we are thinking we may want to look into other options besides spending the day at the beach. We like to shop a little, but mostly for local items. Not really intersted in shopping for stuff I can buy at home.

Thanks!!!! :)

Hire a cab driver to give you a complete tour of the island, we did this three years ago there with our family, hired a shuttle and there were 10 of us it was nice. She showed us both the french and dutch side, told us stories and history about St. Maarten, took us to some beaches (we could stay if we wanted she wait but chose to just look) showed us places to have a drink (if we wanted) and to use the rest room facilities, she also stopped at a couple of places for us to pick up souveniers and if we didn't want to do that or wanted to shop more she was our guide for the hours we hired for, it was very nice.

Hire a cab driver to give you a complete tour of the island, we did this three years ago there with our family, hired a shuttle and there were 10 of us it was nice. She showed us both the french and dutch side, told us stories and history about St. Maarten, took us to some beaches (we could stay if we wanted she wait but chose to just look) showed us places to have a drink (if we wanted) and to use the rest room facilities, she also stopped at a couple of places for us to pick up souveniers and if we didn't want to do that or wanted to shop more she was our guide for the hours we hired for, it was very nice.

Are the cabs available for hire as you get off the ship? Was it a flat rate for the day or were you charged by the amount of time/distance?

Thanks!

It is known for being the smallest island in the world to be partitioned into two countries.

To us it is the complete package for a sun vacation destination. A few of the things that keep us coming back are the diverse choices of beaches, restaurants and day trips to nearby islands.

Here's a few:

Two capital cities to visit (Marigot and Phillipsburg) each with a different flair

Great shopping in Phillipsburg (especially Gold/jewelry)

Excellent beaches scattered around the island (Orient is definitely the most famous but there are other very nice ones)

Guavaberry Liqueuer!! Try a Guavaberry Colada on Front St in Phillipsburg.

Caribe beer (similar to Corona, really hits the spot while strolling on Front Street)

Enjoy!!!

Can anyone tell me what is a must see or do in St. Martin? I have heard of Orient beach, but we are thinking we may want to look into other options besides spending the day at the beach. We like to shop a little, but mostly for local items. Not really intersted in shopping for stuff I can buy at home.

Thanks!!!! :)

You certainly can see St Maarten without spending the day at the beach.

A seat on a group tour with Bernard could give you a great feel for the island with limited beach time, but enough for you to think about returning, including a view of the planes landing at Maho Beach.

That said, hopefully you'll have a bit of shopping time back in Philipsburg for booze, high-end jewelery, booze, table cloths and linens (GO MEASURE YOUR TABLE RIGHT NOW!), booze, Delft Blue Porcelain (if they're still open), cigars?

gary

It is known for being the smallest island in the world to be partitioned into two countries.

<snip>

Sorry Karysa, and I'm certainly not trying to pick on you, but this is really an Urban Legend. And you're correct, it is known as:

Even though almost every tourist-related organization on the island (either side) uses this reference as truth, as does probably every Caribbean oriented tourist publication or website, it's just not factual.

There are many smaller country-divided islands on this planet, including many small islands between the US and Canada. (North Dakota?)

There are others between Sweden and Finland or Sweden and Norway.

And if they want to shift to 'inhabited', there's an occupied lighthouse on Marketin.

Sorry that I had to 'vent' here. Mentioned it in conversation over dinner with the Island Governor and it didn't get much of a response, certainly don't expect much here.

gary

Sorry Karysa, and I'm certainly not trying to pick on you, but this is really an Urban Legend. And you're correct, it is known as:

Even though almost every tourist-related organization on the island (either side) uses this reference as truth, as does probably every Caribbean oriented tourist publication or website, it's just not factual.

There are many smaller country-divided islands on this planet, including many small islands between the US and Canada. (North Dakota?)

There are others between Sweden and Finland or Sweden and Norway.

And if they want to shift to 'inhabited', there's an occupied lighthouse on Marketin.

Sorry that I had to 'vent' here. Mentioned it in conversation over dinner with the Island Governor and it didn't get much of a response, certainly don't expect much here.

gary

I knew about the uninhabited islands and yes I did see one small house on a very small island while on the Thousand Island boat trip in Gananoque Ontario, Canada. This tiny island is actually part in the US and part in Canada and the skipper joked that when the husband got mad he said "I' m leaving the Country" and walked the 20 metres or 21 yards (depending on what side he was on at the time) to the otherside of their property.

As you stated, the information about St. Maarten/St. Martin being the smallest island shared by two sovereign nations is all over the travel books magazines and the internet. US and Canada have the world's longest shared border so them having an island somewhere out in the middle is pretty much taken for granted. Maybe they embellish it a little in St. Maarten/St. Martin but these two countries are not bordering nations and the whole idea that they share this small island so far away from either of their mainlands is really the story here. Two distinct governments, monetary systems, official languages, it is all pretty cool even if it is a teensy, little white lie.;)

I just keep thinking about that boat trip as a kid and hearing the tale of the small island in the St. Lawrence River that is in two countries and trying to compare that to St. Martin. Just no comparison. One is a cute tale and the other is quite fascinating if you really think about it.

ps. Nope, don't feel picked on ( I enjoyed the lesson):)

pss. Dinner with the Island Governor (nice), we would have loved that!:)

Isn't the difference there that you are only talking about geography?

Whereas, in St Martin, there are two distinct countries/cultures/governments, etc?

You and I are on the same page on this one. I think that the word "partitioned" is the key.

It's known for the airport. duh! This airport is by the beach and is known for the closeness of the airplanes that come into the airport.

I would like to go to see this when I am in St. Marten. How far is the airport from the port?

Are the cabs available for hire as you get off the ship? Was it a flat rate for the day or were you charged by the amount of time/distance?

Thanks!

As you come off the pier, there will be a taxi stand to your far right. Before you get into the cab, the dispatcher asks you where you would like to go, and they let you know the cost for the day.

My husband and I went by ourselves in 2009, and it cost $70 for the two of us, for the entire day's tour.

We were a group of 6 last year while sailing the Serenade of the Seas, and we stopped in Marigot for shopping, then Orient Beach for a few hours, and then back to the ship. That cost us $18 each ($6 for each leg of the trip).

I knew about the uninhabited islands and yes I did see one small house on a very small island while on the Thousand Island boat trip in Gananoque Ontario, Canada. This tiny island is actually part in the US and part in Canada and the skipper joked that when the husband got mad he said "I' m leaving the Country" and walked the 20 metres or 21 yards (depending on what side he was on at the time) to the otherside of their property.

As you stated, the information about St. Maarten/St. Martin being the smallest island shared by two sovereign nations is all over the travel books magazines and the internet. US and Canada have the world's longest shared border so them having an island somewhere out in the middle is pretty much taken for granted. Maybe they embellish it a little in St. Maarten/St. Martin but these two countries are not bordering nations and the whole idea that they share this small island so far away from either of their mainlands is really the story here. Two distinct governments, monetary systems, official languages, it is all pretty cool even if it is a teensy, little white lie.;)

I just keep thinking about that boat trip as a kid and hearing the tale of the small island in the St. Lawrence River that is in two countries and trying to compare that to St. Martin. Just no comparison. One is a cute tale and the other is quite fascinating if you really think about it.

ps. Nope, don't feel picked on ( I enjoyed the lesson):)

pss. Dinner with the Island Governor (nice), we would have loved that!:)

TO KARYSA,

Although your story about the wee “International Island” in the 1000 Islands is a good one…

I hate to tell you this... BUT it too is just another “fable”… dreamed up by Tour Guides to entertain Tourists.

Mr Sloop and I spend much time in the 1000 Islands area… and I can tell you that there are over 1000 Islands, divided equally between the USA and Canada… and NONE of them are in two countries… they are all either American or Canadian Islands.

The history of this region is pretty well maintained... with families that have spent generations living in the area, or summering on the islands (a few brave souls even do so year-round... myself I cannot imagine living ala the 1800s with only a fireplace / wood or pellet stove when we see -20 Weather in January!!)

Anyways... Although there is what appears to be a free-flow of locals back and forth across the Border between the US & Canada... it really is quite distinct as it was drawn up after the War of 1812 which saw this area highly fought over (for control of shipping on the Great Lakes and the St Lawrence River… the largest River on the East Coast of North America).

The big & little island that Tour Guides have been telling Travellers for years that is in two countries is Zavikon Island… and it sits in Canadian Waters.

It is thought that the story got started because

(a) as is the custom in much of the 1000 Islands the owners fly both a Canadian and US Flag… but in their case they chose to put one on each island

(b) they built the tiny foot-bridge between the islands (which is also common in the 1000 islands… lots of folks have built such bridges so as to utilize several islands that are close together… or if an island is close to shore give them year-round access) and

© there is also some confusion because the smaller island does have a visible marker on it… but this marker is strictly a surveying marker that is used in conjunction (triangulation) with other markers to be able to delineate exactly WHERE the International Boundary lies in the waterway (lol, as one cannot draw a line down the middle of the River). IF you look at a Map you'll see that the International Boundary isn't straight at all... but rather jigs-and-jags around several of the islands... so as to make the division of islands fair & equal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zavikon_Island

Cheers!

TO KARYSA,

Although your story about the wee “International Island” in the 1000 Islands is a good one…

I hate to tell you this... BUT it too is just another “fable”… dreamed up by Tour Guides to entertain Tourists.

Mr Sloop and I spend much time in the 1000 Islands area… and I can tell you that there are over 1000 Islands, divided equally between the USA and Canada… and NONE of them are in two countries… they are all either American or Canadian Islands.

The history of this region is pretty well maintained... with families that have spent generations living in the area, or summering on the islands (a few brave souls even do so year-round... myself I cannot imagine living ala the 1800s with only a fireplace / wood or pellet stove when we see -20 Weather in January!!)

Anyways... Although there is what appears to be a free-flow of locals back and forth across the Border between the US & Canada... it really is quite distinct as it was drawn up after the War of 1812 which saw this area highly fought over (for control of shipping on the Great Lakes and the St Lawrence River… the largest River on the East Coast of North America).

The big & little island that Tour Guides have been telling Travellers for years that is in two countries is Zavikon Island… and it sits in Canadian Waters.

It is thought that the story got started because

(a) as is the custom in much of the 1000 Islands the owners fly both a Canadian and US Flag… but in their case they chose to put one on each island

(b) they built the tiny foot-bridge between the islands (which is also common in the 1000 islands… lots of folks have built such bridges so as to utilize several islands that are close together… or if an island is close to shore give them year-round access) and

© there is also some confusion because the smaller island does have a visible marker on it… but this marker is strictly a surveying marker that is used in conjunction (triangulation) with other markers to be able to delineate exactly WHERE the International Boundary lies in the waterway (lol, as one cannot draw a line down the middle of the River). IF you look at a Map you'll see that the International Boundary isn't straight at all... but rather jigs-and-jags around several of the islands... so as to make the division of islands fair & equal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zavikon_Island

Cheers!

And I suppose next you're going to tell me that Santa Claus is not from:

The North Pole

CANADA

HOHOHO

You just can't trust a tour guide with a flask anymore! :)

He sure was entertaining though! ;)

And I suppose next you're going to tell me that Santa Claus is not from:

The North Pole

CANADA

HOHOHO

You just can't trust a tour guide with a flask anymore! :)

He sure was entertaining though! ;)

Hi Karysa,

Lol... glad to see you are taking it so well.

GOOD NEWS !!

Santa is alive and well (and enjoying his summer vacation)... and yes you can most certainly reach him at the address you have given... with the correct Canadian Postal Code I might add... HOH OHO

Infact I know one of his elves, and they are happy to seethat you are keeping in touch annually (not enought Adults give this Jolly Gent the respect he deserves... too many us get so absorbed in our daily lives, that we forget to stay in touch with old friends)

;):)

BTW, you'll be happy to know that the Tooth Fairy, Easter Rabbit and The Great Pumpking... due to Santa's success... are all considering setting up contact info too.

So all is right in the world, after all.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to go to see this when I am in St. Marten. How far is the airport from the port?

I would also like to see this, and have seen lots of youtube videos of the planes. How far, about how long of a trip to get there?

I would also like to see this, and have seen lots of youtube videos of the planes. How far, about how long of a trip to get there?

Give yourself about 30 minutes to get there and perhaps a bit more on the way back (to allow for traffic). The big planes land in the afternoon (around 12:30 -2:30) and are well worth the visit. The beach is pretty small, but it's lots of fun in my book. We hung out next to the airport landing strip at Sunset Bar, but you can also rent chairs right on the beach.

Enjoy.

What is St Martin known for?

An incredible selection of Jewelry! :D ..... just do your homework first!!

You are so right!!! Normally I bypass the jewelry counters because the only advantage is duty free (no price breaks) but I found some great deals in St. Maarten.

Here's a few:

Two capital cities to visit (Marigot and Phillipsburg) each with a different flair

Great shopping in Phillipsburg (especially Gold/jewelry)

Excellent beaches scattered around the island (Orient is definitely the most famous but there are other very nice ones)

Guavaberry Liqueuer!! Try a Guavaberry Colada on Front St in Phillipsburg.

Caribe beer (similar to Corona, really hits the spot while strolling on Front Street)

Enjoy!!!

I LOVE cruising but this is one island I wouldhave no reservations about spending more time on a land vacation.

Archived