A cheap cruise is it worth it?

Invincible

MSC is a less known line than the RCI/Carnaval brands so it does offer specials a bit more frequently than other lines. Generally though, MSC's pricing tends to lie between NCL and Carnival - which tend to be a bit lower or budget (deals aside) than Princess/X/HAL/RCL - all of which are mainstream mass market. From what I've seen in recent years Princess and RCL seem to have the most firm (least deal vascillating) pricing.

MSC is just 'different' - a bit distinctive. Some go for it, many don't. Individual culture and personality has the most to do with that. Generally, the mainstream big ship lines are all more similar than dissimilar IMHO.

You'll never know whether the line fits your style unless you try them. But if you tend to 'wig out' over (minor) differences and distinctions, you're better off sticking with what you know and like.

Personally, Princess/X/HAL are my lines of choice - but next up is Carnival... Of my three 'lines of choice' X is most similar to MSC (service style ambiance) but in my limited experience food prep is superior on X.

I would only add that in view of the dead last place finish of MSC in the Cruiser Choice Polls, both in the UK and USA, it is my opinion that persons who maintain that the food, service and entertainment are better on MSC than on other cruise lines are not credible.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I do wonder what your real agenda is though! Your choice of language to iterate your prejudices has become utterly tiresome!!

I've no problem in being described as an anomaly...I'm happy to be a few standard deviations from the "norm"!

I judge service by a different rule set than some...for me the American style that is viewed as best in customer service, is deeply irritating, intrusive and fake friendly...it drives me mad So what many would rate as a 5, I wouldn't simply because they were annoying me! I like the Southern European style and travel frequently to Spain and also Italy. I also like the laid back relaxed Australian style too.

As for food, well that is all subjective regardless of who you are ...but it s coloured by what you normally eat. I can't make comparisons with other lines but I do compare it to restaurants around the globe that I've eaten in - ranging from fine dining to basic eateries. MSC's main dining room offering certainly does not compare to any of the fine dining restaurants I've eaten in, but then again I don't expect them to, I'm not paying £100+ for the meal. I did eat in the a la carte restaurant in the Musica and found that favourable to some of the better restaurants but not all.

.... And as you all know me, I LOVE MSC too, and I have cruised 20 times in the last 10 years. I have only cruised MSC USA and they are more than a cruise, they are a complete experience for me. I bring new people with me each time to experience this too and our "group" has grown to more and more loving MSC too. WE all enjoy the lower pricing and the beautiful ships. We all enjoy the rare forms of TALENT as per every show using talent unlike other cruise lines. Most of the talent are seasoned professionals as opposed to high school grads or college grads looking to do something fun for awhile.

The shows are slick and very different from anything we have seen. We love the singers, most trained in London Conservatory of Music. Most talented staff of entertainers ever seen is what you can expect on MSC USA cruising.

The level of interaction with the cruise directors staff( the animation team) is so much different than any other ship also. This makes for a fabulous vacation experience.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I do wonder what your real agenda is though! Your choice of language to iterate your prejudices has become utterly tiresome!!

Hmm. I made no personal attack on you or anyone so I find your hostility towards me kind of odd. Odder yet is your question of what my "real" agenda is as if I had a secret one. I made no secret of my "agenda." It is to respond constructively to the question posed by the OP of this thread - "A cheap cruise is it worth it?" That is the title of this thread, isn't it?

Moreover, perhaps you can clarify your assertion that I have iterated my personal prejudices. The whole point of my post(s) was to answer the OP's question on whether a cheap cruise is worth it not with my personal prejudices or opinions, but with a link to the US and UK Cruiser Choice Polls. These polls reflect the personal opinions of many thousands of people. Maybe you should ask the 70,000 cruisecritics who wrote reviews what their ulterior motive is in rating MSC the worst cruise line overall.

If, as you say, you find it "utterly tiresome" or it otherwise upsets you to read posts about MSC's last place finish in the Cruiser Choice Polls, then perhaps you ought to take advantage of the ignor function available on this site. It will allow you to ignor my posts and the posts of other people who upset you although judging from your post that might require you to ignor almost all the CCers who contributed MSC reviews.

I've no problem in being described as an anomaly...I'm happy to be a few standard deviations from the "norm"!

Hooray for you, AmoMondo. You sound like a positively fascinating person. I notice you have tried a couple of transatlantic cruises. The Oceania Insignia does a TA from Barcelona to Rio around Nov and returns in March. The fare is a real bargain. I recommend that you give this cruise a try. I think you would like it very much and it might expand your POV about non-MSC cruising.

MSC is about as mainstream and mass market as you can get, it's low budget and marketed heavily towards the masses with kids sail free etc,

yes Zambezi I do not dispute that fact but its not US mass market - all the LOUD moaners and complainers are a small minority on this cruise line - I have read other reviews besides MSC the complainers are on every cruise line :p aggresive sometimes and rude somtimes - now dont take me wrong that is not everyone - its just that this type of forum gives them a voice and there just seems to be less of them within earshot on MSC ;)

HMaybe you should ask the 70,000 cruisecritics who wrote reviews what their ulterior motive is in rating MSC the worst cruise line overall.

perhaps but how many of them had cruised MSC -= as a relatively new line in the US market one would think that it would take time for them to get market share and with that the amount of votes needed to compete with mainstream lines. you cant dispute these facts either

MSC Cruises Receives ‘Best Big-Ship Luxury Enclave,’

‘Best Kept Secret’ Honors in 2009 Cruise Critic

Editors’ Pick Awards

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (October 21, 2009)– MSC Cruises received “Best Big-Ship Luxury Enclave for MSC Yacht Club” and “Best Kept Secret,” honors in the 2009 Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards. The awards honor the world’s top cruise lines and highlight the best of the best in cruising.

MSC Yacht Club is like a “ship within a ship,” with dedicated VIP areas available onboard the MSC Fantasiaand MSC Splendida. The MSC Yacht Club allows guests to experience the best of both worlds –personalized service and a private, intimate space while also enjoying the full benefits of all the magnificent vessel has to offer.

"Cruise lines continue to maintain exceptional standards and provide a fantastic vacation experience for travelers," said editor-in-chief Carolyn Spencer Brown. "Cruise lines should be justifiably proud of their staff, crew, partners and agencies that have made such achievement possible.”

:eek:

yes Zambezi I do not dispute that fact but its not US mass market - all the LOUD moaners and complainers are a small minority on this cruise line - I have read other reviews besides MSC the complainers are on every cruise line :p aggresive sometimes and rude somtimes - now dont take me wrong that is not everyone - its just that this type of forum gives them a voice and there just seems to be less of them within earshot on MSC ;)

Perhaps you can enlighten us on what differences you have found on Italian mass market and US mass market?:confused:

I'm sorry. I don't comprehend your point. Can you clarify?:confused:.

perhaps but how many of them had cruised MSC -= as a relatively new line in the US market one would think that it would take time for them to get market share and with that the amount of votes needed to compete with mainstream lines. you cant dispute these facts either

MSC Cruises Receives ‘Best Big-Ship Luxury Enclave,’

‘Best Kept Secret’ Honors in 2009 Cruise Critic

Editors’ Pick Awards

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (October 21, 2009)– MSC Cruises received “Best Big-Ship Luxury Enclave for MSC Yacht Club” and “Best Kept Secret,” honors in the 2009 Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards. The awards honor the world’s top cruise lines and highlight the best of the best in cruising.

MSC Yacht Club is like a “ship within a ship,” with dedicated VIP areas available onboard the MSC Fantasiaand MSC Splendida. The MSC Yacht Club allows guests to experience the best of both worlds –personalized service and a private, intimate space while also enjoying the full benefits of all the magnificent vessel has to offer.

"Cruise lines continue to maintain exceptional standards and provide a fantastic vacation experience for travelers," said editor-in-chief Carolyn Spencer Brown. "Cruise lines should be justifiably proud of their staff, crew, partners and agencies that have made such achievement possible.”

:eek:

I don't comprehend the point you seek to make about the number of cruisers voting in the Cruisers' Choice Polls. To be included in the US poll I believe a ship had to be rated at least 10 ten times and MSC has been in business with a lot of ships for suffcient time so that a significant number of reviews were of MSC. There's nothing about the number of voters in the Cruisers Choice Poll to skew the results for or against a cruise line.

Am I misunderstanding you?

I could not access the article on the MSC luxury enclave, the Yacht Club, via the link in your post. But is it relevant? I don't dispute that service and accomodations in the Yacht Club aboard those MSC ships that offer it is significantly better than the standard MSC experience, but it is much more expensive. I think it's interesting that MSC offers accomodations and service equal to that found on much higher rated cruise lines, but my understanding of the Yacht Club is that it costs as much as a Crystal or Regent cruise per diem. If I'm paying that kind of money I expect a heck of a lot more than the common MSC experience. Does anyone know for sure about the cost and relative merit of the Yacht Club?

Perhaps you can enlighten us on what differences you have found on Italian mass market and US mass market?:confused:

On my previous MSC cruises there were some American citizens and not lots - I enjoyed cruising with the Italian Families - they were sometimes brash but not loud - in Yacht club there was one "very" loud american - totally acted like a spoilt brat and he was older than me - everyone else was very civilised even the children and there were a few of them - another American couple that I ran into had a similar selfish behaviour and were complaining "very" loudly at reception. Multiply those experiences by the amount of americans on my next cruise and I can imagine a ship load of "very loud" whingers (moaners). I am aware that it may change the atmosphere onboard. I suppose if you live with those kind of experiences you don't find them extraordinary like I do. Which is why I have chosen not to cruise US mass market before - all I can say is thank you MSC for being in this region as I can now experience the Canadian fall, the Carribean, a touch of Mexico and Jamaica and other wonderful places in the style of cruising that I like.

I don't dispute that service and accomodations in the Yacht Club aboard those MSC ships that offer it is significantly better than the standard MSC experience, but it is much more expensive. I think it's interesting that MSC offers accomodations and service equal to that found on much higher rated cruise lines, but my understanding of the Yacht Club is that it costs as much as a Crystal or Regent cruise per diem. If I'm paying that kind of money I expect a heck of a lot more than the common MSC experience. Does anyone know for sure about the cost and relative merit of the Yacht Club?

mmmm not so - I paid only $250 more for me and my husband than what we would have paid for the deluxe verandah - the 2 children cruised free -it worked out cheaper for us to have an executive cabin in Yacht Club as we got all our drinks and luxuries included - a bargain in my opinon - I still have the bill so I will outline the costs. We did two back to back cruises both 7 nights duration - 1st one Eastern Med, 2nd one Western Med.

1st Cruise MSC Magnifica - $2809 x 2 $5,618.00 plus $400 port charges for the kids - deluxe family cabin - no drinks included - dining and everything else same as everyone else, no specialty restaurants

2nd Cruise MSC Splendida - $2929 x 2 $5,858.00 plus $400 port charges for the kids - Yacht Club suite with all the fancy stuff included (butler, specialty restuarant dining, Top Sail lounge, exclusive deck, hot tub, pool, bar, all drinks, spa treatment etc etc.....)

All in all we spent less in total on the Yacht Club cruise and had superb luxury. So I dont think the prices do compare with the lines you mentioned but the service certainly does. And I can highly recommend it so what more do you need ;)

How long had been your cruises on Magnifica and Splendida? Was there your airfare included? The prices are extremely high for just 1 week cruise.

No this was cruise only, they were both in Sept 2010 and they were both 7 nights, we paid an extra $8500 for our airfares. This is the price we Aussies pay for our cruises, you can of course go cheaper in inside cabins, ov cabins etc. For most lines we are not allowed to book with an American TA - so yes we do pay a lot more.

On my previous MSC cruises there were some American citizens and not lots - I enjoyed cruising with the Italian Families - they were sometimes brash but not loud - in Yacht club there was one "very" loud american - totally acted like a spoilt brat and he was older than me - everyone else was very civilised even the children and there were a few of them - another American couple that I ran into had a similar selfish behaviour and were complaining "very" loudly at reception. Multiply those experiences by the amount of americans on my next cruise and I can imagine a ship load of "very loud" whingers (moaners). I am aware that it may change the atmosphere onboard. I suppose if you live with those kind of experiences you don't find them extraordinary like I do. Which is why I have chosen not to cruise US mass market before - all I can say is thank you MSC for being in this region as I can now experience the Canadian fall, the Carribean, a touch of Mexico and Jamaica and other wonderful places in the style of cruising that I like.

That has to one of the funniest explanations I've ever heard: Americans are less well behaved that Italians!:p:p

Perhaps they came across as complaining because mass market American lines offer a better cruise experience?

So, your point is you don't like Americans, got it.:rolleyes:

For the amount you spend, I would step up to HAL or X or similar, those prices you have quoted are extraordinary, I feel very blessed that I can cruise HAL or RCCL, regularly, balcony for less than $100/day and inside cabin, 7 day CCL R/T San Juan, holiday week for $459!

mmmm not so - I paid only $250 more for me and my husband than what we would have paid for the deluxe verandah - the 2 children cruised free -it worked out cheaper for us to have an executive cabin in Yacht Club as we got all our drinks and luxuries included - a bargain in my opinon - I still have the bill so I will outline the costs. We did two back to back cruises both 7 nights duration - 1st one Eastern Med, 2nd one Western Med.

1st Cruise MSC Magnifica - $2809 x 2 $5,618.00 plus $400 port charges for the kids - deluxe family cabin - no drinks included - dining and everything else same as everyone else, no specialty restaurants

2nd Cruise MSC Splendida - $2929 x 2 $5,858.00 plus $400 port charges for the kids - Yacht Club suite with all the fancy stuff included (butler, specialty restuarant dining, Top Sail lounge, exclusive deck, hot tub, pool, bar, all drinks, spa treatment etc etc.....)

All in all we spent less in total on the Yacht Club cruise and had superb luxury. So I dont think the prices do compare with the lines you mentioned but the service certainly does. And I can highly recommend it so what more do you need ;)

I find it curious that the difference in cost between the Yacht Club and the non-Yacht Club cruise is so small. I checked the MSC web site http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Cruise-Departures/Cruise-Details-MSC-Splendida-Rates.aspx?cruise_id=SP111106GG&ship_code=SP and the cost of a Yacht Club balcony suite ( 206 sq ft w 42 sq ft balc) on the Splendida for a 7 night RT out of Genoa on Nov 6 is US 4000 pp dbl occ. That includes economy class airfare from several US gateways and a post cruise hotel night.

I could not enter the site to ascertain how much credit MSC gives if you book your own air, but it is stated to vary from season to season. I would estimate it to be about $850 pp. Knock off another 150 pp for the hotel and you are paying about $3000 pp for a 7 night cruise. Govt fees and taxes are extra. The cost of a non-Yacht Club balcony suite on the same cruise is 2200 pp. which unlike the cost differential on your b2b is a significant differential. I'm not sure what conclusion to draw, i.e., was the non-Yacht Club leg on your cruise priced high or was the Yacht Club leg specially priced low. I'm pretty sure you will find that typically the Yacht Club accomodation price differential is more like that on the 7 night Genoa cruise. Substantial.

Be that as it may US 3000 pp for 7 nights is about what you paid for your Yacht Club accomodations so it's not far off the actual price of the the 7 night Yacht Club Genoa RT cruise. For that price 2 adults can sail on Crystal in a larger balcony cabin (269 sq ft total) during the same month in the same waters. See the Crystal Serenity sailing out of Venice on Nov 6 where a balcony cabin can be had on various sites for about US2600 pp - not a minor difference.

The point of this comparison is to address the original OP question - a cheap cruise is it worth it. The MSC Yacht Club may, in fact, truly be a good luxury enclave and it may offer good accomodations, service, and free specialty restaurant dining privileges, but it is not cheap. Generally speaking Yacht Club pricing is similar to the luxury lines so while it may be a good value, it is not a cheap cruise. Accordingly, it is of little relevance in a conversation about whether a cheap cruise, on MSC or any other cruise line, is worth it.

When I first made the entry the question was about MSC cruises in comparison to others I have sailed on, for it to be a cheap cruise for my wife and I we will be in an inside cabin on Deck 11 so though we may not be physically very far from the "Yacht Club" our accomodation will be considerably different. As with an earlier posting we are paying less than £400 for this 7 day cruise including flights from the UK though not including transfers. I'm comfortable and happy with the decision we made to book and we are both looking forward to our next cruise.

Well Invincible, I think you made a good move (IMHO) - we both got good prices and are willing to give it a go. Theres been a few good reviews on here lately, especially Mummye's so that fills me with hope :)

Like I said before, me and my hubby are going on a budget cruise with low expectations so everything else will be a bonus - Happy Cruising to you both XX

The whole point of my post(s) was to answer the OP's question on whether a cheap cruise is worth it not with my personal prejudices or opinions, but with a link to the US and UK Cruiser Choice Polls. These polls reflect the personal opinions of many thousands of people. Maybe you should ask the 70,000 cruisecritics who wrote reviews what their ulterior motive is in rating MSC the worst cruise line overall.

If, as you say, you find it "utterly tiresome" or it otherwise upsets you to read posts about MSC's last place finish in the Cruiser Choice Polls, then perhaps you ought to take advantage of the ignor function available on this site. It will allow you to ignor my posts and the posts of other people who upset you although judging from your post that might require you to ignor almost all the CCers who contributed MSC reviews.

Believe me, no one upsets me, but following your continually tiresome responses to what others write I think we all know now what your true agenda is....

We have not yet sailed MSC, but 10 different cruiselines including the high end mass market i.e. Celebrity, HAL, and Cunard as well as the middle ranges i.e. RCI, NCL and the like, also Costa and a couple of others. Thoroughly looking forward to experiencing MSC.

Our cruising experience with passengers is that there is "one" on every cruise, just like there is "one" on every CC thread!!

Go into it with low expectations and you'll be less likely to be disappointed. I don't say this in a snarky way - its just a learned lesson. Many years ago I'd cruised on Princess and Carnival - I was really fired up to cruise Celebrity. This was the 'cut above' line of Michel Roux dining, yada yada... Disappointed. Not bad - I cruised the same X ship again a few years later and had a better - really excellent cruise. But it tought me something about expectations. Keep'em low - regardless what your plans are.

Archived