Currency Exchange

Mailgirl

You will NOT get good exchange rates on any ship!

In fact you shouldn't use the ATM on the ship either if you can help it! It will charge extra fees!!

ATM fee is $6 per withdrawal. They may not have any cash near the end of the cruise.

They are talking about the ATM in Europe not the ship

I would say if you are going to europe get some from your bank and keep most of what you want on hand and avoid using your credit card at little shops who will charge you in dollars and then on the back hand give you a horrible dollar to euro rate. If that makes sense.

$1.50 = 1 E'...the rate on ForEx this A.M. was $1.42 per E....,,..When I have bought them it is usually .06 to .08 cents on the USD overall, incld fee. My profile sayes it will start to get better by mid Aug, and get lower by Sept, and early OCT..when I want to buy some more for "street money," when I get to Spain. Have saved some from last year, but will need a taxi to hotel. I stopped by AAA... they have a VISA CARD that is a "travel" only card..used as a Debit...you can feed it w/your own $ as needed..I have the print out, but will look at it later...only a 3% charge to use it..no other fees.

I would say if you are going to europe get some from your bank and keep most of what you want on hand and avoid using your credit card at little shops who will charge you in dollars and then on the back hand give you a horrible dollar to euro rate. If that makes sense.

You have to agree, and sign at the shop that wants to charge you in dollars..DONT DO IT, and tell them to make it in the local currency..or..NO DEAL !!!!! they can just back out of the sale, and cancel it!! THEY want to sell to you..so be careful and watch what they key in for price

Ditto, use the ATMs ashore. Usually the best rates and with certain cards no fees. The rates are changing all the time so don't bother to exchange large amounts or do it before you leave home. I go to Europe several times a year for business and pleasure and have learned a thing or two about how to save a few bucks when the business is not paying the bills.

I buy our Euros online from a major TRavel EXchange. I have always gotten better rates than I can get from any of the banks we use.

Doc

Really?

I just compared Wells Fargo to your recommendation for Pesos.

WF wins. :eek:

Thank You all for your advice, Thanks for the credit card information. I didn't know stores could do that. I was going to use my charge card as often as possible because my Credit Card company doesn't charge any fees. I thought I would get a better bang for my buck. Thank You all again great advice.

You may want to let your credit card company the dates that you will be out of the country, as well as what countries you will be visiting. This will definitely cut down and/or eliminate any purchases being "denied".

Hope this helps!

Dittos to above recommendations for NOT using the ship's exchange desk.

But, if for any reason you want to change unused foreign curency back to USD before disemarking, be aware that the exchange desk would only do this before 5:00 pm on the last night.

There were a fair number of people with early flights who did not want to gamble on having enough time to sell their euros at the airport and were willing to take the hit onboard. Many were planning on doing it in the evening and were sorely disappointed.

May not work that way on all ships so if that's an option for you, be sure to check early on in the cruise.

Enjoy!

The CD (John in my case) will make an announcement that the currency exchange is available but will strongly suggest that you don't use it. The cruise line is not in the banking business and will charge high fees for convenience. We use our credit card every place we can and we use the local ATM when we need to have some cash. ATMs are plentiful and easy to find in Europe.

You may want to let your credit card company the dates that you will be out of the country, as well as what countries you will be visiting. This will definitely cut down and/or eliminate any purchases being "denied".

Hope this helps!

Good advise!

Nothing worse than purchasing a nice jewelry piece for your spouse only to have your cc denied because your not in the US.

Ouch! :eek:

Archived