Tropical Storm Emily

TonyinFla

It is rare for them to close a port due to the weather, especially since this doesn't seem to be developing into a majoy hurricane. Of course the next day or so everything could chage.

Nita

In our case, the storm was downgraded to a Tropical Storm and the Port of Miami closed.

This is all the more reason to take flights the day before. If you ship was to leave early and you were flying in right before leaving, you would miss the ship.

Also, now I'm wondering when you say that NCL calls passengers the day before to alert them about any changes...most people do fly in before their cruise to extend their vacation. How would those people know about the changes then? We also fly in ahead of time and there would be no way for us to know if this was to happen. We always cruise in the hurricane season (September). :confused:

We flew in the day before. While in the air, NCL was leaving messages at our homes which my DH received. By the time we landed, NCL had left a message on my cell phone. Between my friend and I, we received three calls from NCL. We felt they did a great job getting ahold of us. The ship (Sky) ended up leaving 2 plus hours early because the Port of Miami was closing and requiring all ships to leave. Also, because of the large storm and the national coverage, we knew in advance to keep checking with NCL's website for updates.

Also, when we were boarding the plane, we had no idea whether we'd be cruising or not. We just decided to get to Miami and if the cruise was cancelled, we were going to rent a car and head north to get out of harms way, find someplace to stay for a few days and make the most of it.

We flew in the day before. While in the air, NCL was leaving messages at our homes which my DH received. By the time we landed, NCL had left a message on my cell phone. Between my friend and I, we received three calls from NCL. We felt they did a great job getting ahold of us. The ship (Sky) ended up leaving 2 plus hours early because the Port of Miami was closing and requiring all ships to leave. Also, because of the large storm and the national coverage, we knew in advance to keep checking with NCL's website for updates.

Also, when we were boarding the plane, we had no idea whether we'd be cruising or not. We just decided to get to Miami and if the cruise was cancelled, we were going to rent a car and head north to get out of harms way, find someplace to stay for a few days and make the most of it.

How was the whole cruising experience? I remember when Katrina we were locked inside the ship almost like prisoners and thats what I personally hate... My boyfriend is reluctant to get on a ship this friday with a storm nearby, this is our first cruise together and my third and his second cruise... we dont have that much experience in how this is handled

How was the whole cruising experience? I remember when Katrina we were locked inside the ship almost like prisoners and thats what I personally hate... My boyfriend is reluctant to get on a ship this friday with a storm nearby, this is our first cruise together and my third and his second cruise... we dont have that much experience in how this is handled

It was a blast of a cruise. One that I will always remember. Our itinerary was altered slightly with switching days between two of the ports. In the Bahamas, we had some flooding. We always felt safe even though the weather was bad. The wind was very strong and the ship listed a couple of times. But again, I never felt in danger. Our first day out was cloudy and rainy but we used that time for much needed rest. That night is when we hit the winds. Next day, all of it was over.

Really, the only other option. Problem is, the ship will have to head south, into the storm, then west to get out of it.

Not a real great alternative, especially for my 14 yr old son's first cruise.

Oh well. We will make it a great time, regardless. ;)

I have no idea what they will do. FWIW, the latest updastes have shifted the path to the east.

Off of NCLs main page:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We are closely monitoring the path of Tropical Storm Emily. At this time, we do not have any changes to our itineraries. We will continue to monitor the storm’s path and if necessary, we will alter our itinerary to sail out of any affected areas. Please check back here for any updates.

Not much but it's a start.

My daughter is ON the Jewel right now! They were in Nassau today. Do you think they got there into the port and had their normal scheduled stop? Thursday and Friday are days at Sea for them before pulling back into NY on Sat. morning. I am not good at the whole weather thing, so I'd appreciate any thoughts! This MOm just wants her 20 year old to have a good time and be safe! Thanks!

My daughter is ON the Jewel right now! They were in Nassau today. Do you think they got there into the port and had their normal scheduled stop? Thursday and Friday are days at Sea for them before pulling back into NY on Sat. morning. I am not good at the whole weather thing, so I'd appreciate any thoughts! This MOm just wants her 20 year old to have a good time and be safe! Thanks!

My husband saw the Jewel in port on her web cam yesterday. They are out to sea right now and it looks like smooth seas. I hope she had a great trip.

Jo Anne

This is all the more reason to take flights the day before. If you ship was to leave early and you were flying in right before leaving, you would miss the ship.

Also, now I'm wondering when you say that NCL calls passengers the day before to alert them about any changes...most people do fly in before their cruise to extend their vacation. How would those people know about the changes then? We also fly in ahead of time and there would be no way for us to know if this was to happen. We always cruise in the hurricane season (September). :confused:

When we had a port cancellation NCL phoned and left a message on my home phone the day before our cruise. LOL that wasn't doing me much good since I was sitting in LA. I don't think I gave them a cell phone number which was probably pretty silly on my part. However our cancellation of port was noted in their alert section of their web site. I'm a seasoned traveller and therefore I always check in with airports / airlines for changes within 24 hours of my flight. So when I cruised I just automatically confirmed my cruise and discovered the changes.

So if you are travelling the day before to your port of embarkation city, I would suggest you take a quick peak at NCL's website within 24 hours of your cruise. Most hotels and motels now a days have some form of internet available or can direct you where to have access. Probably a good habit anyway to get in to, even if not in hurricane season. For example if there is a maintenance issue on your ship and your sailaway has now been postponed for 3 hours, it would just be a drag to have to sit at the port while waiting an extra 3 hours instead of enjoying something in your port city, or relaxing with a nice drink somewhere.

Emily is south of Dominica/Haiti and is having no affect on her. Her ride back to NYC will be normal since the storm is so slow moving. The next cruise may have more issues.

Which ship?

The Sky will get out of port with no issues [as things appear now] but where they cruise is more of an issue. They will avoid wind and seas, so enjoy the ship.

Last year at this time we sailed Spirit from Boston to Bermuda. A hurricane was bearing down on Bermuda and most of us were sure we would be going to Canada. The hurricane went east of Bermuda and all was fine, but coming back there was another hurricane heading up the coast towards Boston, so we left two hours early from Bermuda and it chased us all the way home. It just added to our adventure and we were in no danger.

Which ship?

The Sky will get out of port with no issues [as things appear now] but where they cruise is more of an issue. They will avoid wind and seas, so enjoy the ship.

To me it is better than our scheduled itinerary. My wife and i are going out on the sky tomorrow and cant; wait. I actually prefer Fun Days At Sea and hope that we go to Key West and nowhere. I am bringing some draminmine for Friday night and then plan on the 2 for 1 martinis to take me through the rest of the cruise. ;)

Over the last two hours, Emily has dramatically weakened and is now only a minimal tropical storm with sustained winds of 40 mph

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/atlantic/basin.asp

Billet, you probably get this a lot, but I read these boards on my iPad and every time I see your avatar, I have to stop myself from trying to squish the bug! Very cool...:D

5p update: it is now called 'Remnants of Emily'!!!! Giddyup!!

All watches/warnings have been lifted. If it continues on the current path Cuba will kill whatever is left.

We sail in 24 hrs!!

Bring on the Bahama's!!!!! :D

I hope it stays killed too and does not re-generate. We leave for Bermuda on Sunday.

Thank you Aimee! I did not get the upsell fairly call but we are in a nice SC so all is good:D

Review when I come home!

Jim: we look forward to your review! Please ask Sinan If he will still be on the Gem for the 10/30 Sailing! After reading so many nice things about him I will feel "cheated" if he's on Vacation and someone else is in his place!:(

Thx..

Bill(DrFootball)

("I love it when a Plan Comes together" Col. John "Hannibal" Smith -U.S. Army 75th Ranger Regiment)

Jim: we look forward to your review! Please ask Sinan If he will still be on the Gem for the 10/30 Sailing! After reading so many nice things about him I will feel "cheated" if he's on Vacation and someone else is in his place!:(

Thx..

Bill(DrFootball)

("I love it when a Plan Comes together" Col. John "Hannibal" Smith -U.S. Army 75th Ranger Regiment)

I will be sure to ask him. We have not been on a cruise with him yet.

Archived