Icy Strait Point Whale Watching

jesteinf

We'll be in Icy Strait Point next week and are planning on going out on a whale watching tour. I'm trying to decide between Tecck Outfitters and Game Creek Guides. Any thoughts on either (or both) of these companies would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to follow up and report that Teckk did a great job. Both our Captain and naturalist were fantastic. I'd highly recommend them.

You were lucky to find availability with Teckk at the last minute. I tried months in advance and he was booked. I ended up going with F.I.S.H.E.S and had a wonderful trip earlier this month. We happened to be out when the whales were bubblenet feeding and it was so awesome. I wasn't sure I would enjoy whale watching, but nothing else appealed to me in Icy Strait. After that trip, I know I would be totally bored if all I saw were tails, fins and backs. I truly got spoiled.

Just disembarked the MS Amsterdam's fantastic 14 day itinerary yesterday (major Alaska withdrawal symptoms going on here:o). Would highly recommend Capt. Dan of Misty Bay Lodge in ISP for whale watching. We had a fantastic almost-too-good-to-be true 3 hours with him! Saw 8 breaches, countless humps, tails and flukes, and 6 instances of bubblenet feeding. We sure got lucky! The boat is large and comfortable for the six of us aboard. The aft is covered so didn't matter that it was rainy and misty - we still were able to be outside and get some amazing photos and videos. I then went on a 3 hour bear search with Misty Bay Lodge afterwards, and it was a thrill. Found two bears - quite up close and personal. Watched one for 45 minutes fishing in a stream just 12 feet below the bridge we were standing on, then found our second, a "berry bear" with his head in a thicket of blueberry bushes - he was quite close as well. Wonderful experience! Would highly recommend Misty Bay Lodge for both whale watching and bear watching. Enjoy your trip!

Archived