What To Wear

flcruiser4

My husband and I went on a Carnival cruise last year. We booked it last minute and didn't have time to read much on the dress code, but I glanced at it and I also asked some co-workers what to wear. So every night in the MDR, my husband wore dress pants and a dress shirt, on elegant night he added a tie. I wore a dress every night. My husband and I actually HATE dressing up. We both dress up to work every day so when we go on vacation we like to relax. My husband is already stressing out over it and last time he was quite frustrated.

I'm thinking this time I'm just going to do the bare minimum that is required. It seems like every day except for elegant night we can get away with wearing jeans, a polo shirt or other nice shirt, and sneakers or casual shoes. On cruise elegant night my husband can wear khakis or dress pants, a polo shirt, and nice shoes. I can wear one of my summer dresses.

If we do this are we in compliance? Will we feel out of place? Last year I know for sure I saw people in jeans in the MDR, but the people at our table all dressed well.

Sounds to me like you will be fine. We also do not dress up. My dh wears good jeans most nights, and dockers on formal. Just a simple button up shirt, never a tie. I usually wear capri's and nice shirt. Dress it up with a nicer shirt on formal night.

You will see all types of dress. I have never felt out of place dressing simple.

claudia

My husband and I went on a Carnival cruise last year. We booked it last minute and didn't have time to read much on the dress code, but I glanced at it and I also asked some co-workers what to wear. So every night in the MDR, my husband wore dress pants and a dress shirt, on elegant night he added a tie. I wore a dress every night. My husband and I actually HATE dressing up. We both dress up to work every day so when we go on vacation we like to relax. My husband is already stressing out over it and last time he was quite frustrated.

I'm thinking this time I'm just going to do the bare minimum that is required. It seems like every day except for elegant night we can get away with wearing jeans, a polo shirt or other nice shirt, and sneakers or casual shoes. On cruise elegant night my husband can wear khakis or dress pants, a polo shirt, and nice shoes. I can wear one of my summer dresses.

If we do this are we in compliance? Will we feel out of place? Last year I know for sure I saw people in jeans in the MDR, but the people at our table all dressed well.

What you are describing is towards the lower spectrum of what is acceptable, but still WELL within it's limits. Wear what you are comfortable and happy wearing, and have a great time!:)

How long is the cruise for??? makes a big deal

Here is the official dress code, from Carnival's site; if you follow this, you will be in compliance:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Here is the official dress code, from Carnival's site; if you follow this, you will be in compliance:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Sport coat is just a suggestion. Fewer and fewer as well as ties as the years go by.

Yeah, you are absolutely fine. I wore jeans and a blouse every night except elegant night (I wore a dress for elegant night) and I felt comfortable. DH wore jeans and a polo every night and on elegant night he wore dress pants, a dress shirt and tie but I think polo and dress pants would be fine for elegant night too.

I'm a stay-at-home mom and while many might think I would enjoy the opportunity to dress up...nope! I'm just not comfortable in a dress or skirt. Maybe on my up-coming solo cruise I will be more comfortable dressing up. It's much easier when you don't have to chase kids around in a dress :)

Don't stress too much over it...usually I will wear kackis and a bowling type shirt or polo the first few nights and my wife will wear a nice sun dress or dress that she has bought in a port from the cruise we are on or previous cruise. On the first "formal" night we usually dress up where I wear a shirt and tie and my wife a nice dressy dress and heels. By the time we get to the next "formal" night I am usually ready for my shorts and maybe still a button down or polo. My Wife a sundress. Sometimes we do the dress up thing on the 2nd formal night but not always. I agree with you as we both Dress Up for our Jobs and vacation is time to relax and get away! It really depends on what we are in the mood for as well. I really could care less what people wear to dinner as it has no affect on the taste of my food. I am sure others will just slam that opinion but I am by no means saying that we go to the dining room in our beach attire or anything either.

Archived