City maps for the ports

bakery

When we're on the ship, will they make city maps (e.g. for Stockholm, Helsinki, Oslo) available free of charge? I'm thinking of the style of tear-off map that they often hand out in European hotels to help you find your way around.

Thanks!

In my experience, the ship maps tend to show the main streets and tourist sites (as well as "recommended" shops) only. Good for general orientation, but less good if you are walking around a city and get lost and observe that you are at the corner of X boulevard and Y street and need to find your way back to a main street.

The tourist booth maps are usually better, or you could print off some larger-scale Google maps. But the best option, for me, is a book called Hammond's City Atlas of Europe, which is chock full of very detailed maps of most places that one visits on European cruises. You can often get a used copy on Amazon for $5 or so and either tear relevant maps out or copy them with a color copier.

I don't know the date of your cruise, but if there's still time, another option is to request city maps in advance. For our May Baltic cruise, I accessed the Tourist Board websites for Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki and Tallinn and requested maps and brochures by email.

Couldn't believe it, but I received info. from all (except Tallinn, which took a couple of weeks), in THREE business days by mail.

We like to explore most ports on our own and having the maps in advance, really helped in our excursion planning.

Enjoy the Baltic!

I don't know the date of your cruise, but if there's still time, another option is to request city maps in advance. For our May Baltic cruise, I accessed the Tourist Board websites for Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki and Tallinn and requested maps and brochures by email.

Couldn't believe it, but I received info. from all (except Tallinn, which took a couple of weeks), in THREE business days by mail.

We like to explore most ports on our own and having the maps in advance, really helped in our excursion planning.

Enjoy the Baltic!

I should have mentioned maps/brochures will be mailed to you free of charge.

Archived