Any Possible Cabin Upgrade after Being Assigned a Cabin?

sharonbear

It happened to me once on Celebrity's sister line, RCI, but it is a rare occurrence. I would not hold my breath. Your best bet is to watch for price drops and then upgrade yourself if the price of a higher category stateroom that you are interested in becomes affordable.

Does Celebrity ever give you a complimentary cabin upgrade once you have already been assigned a cabin?

My sister and brother-in-law were upgraded from Concierge to Suite.

We've been darn lucky with the Upgrade Fairy, once when we didn't even want her around. First X cruise, we were bumped from a 2D to a 2B on Solstice. Second cruise, we had an aft C1 cabin on Summit (greatly desired, huuuge balcony) and had our booking marked "no upgrades." I checked a few weeks before the cruise and found that our cabin was now a Sky Suite. Fortunately, we were able to catch it in time before they gave "our" cabin to someone else. People on our roll call thought we were nuts for turning down a suite until they saw the aft cabin.

So it does happen, maybe more often than you'd think, but more often not.

Second cruise, we had an aft C1 cabin on Summit (greatly desired, huuuge balcony) and had our booking marked "no upgrades." I checked a few weeks before the cruise and found that our cabin was now a Sky Suite.

I've been a bit paranoid about this. Did they say anything if/when you mentioned that the booking was marked no upgrade?

My reservation is also marked no upgrade, but I still check every day to be sure. I chose this itinerary specifically because of the room and will be pretty upset if someone "upgrades" me to a less desirable cabin.

I've been a bit paranoid about this. Did they say anything if/when you mentioned that the booking was marked no upgrade?

My reservation is also marked no upgrade, but I still check every day to be sure. I chose this itinerary specifically because of the room and will be pretty upset if someone "upgrades" me to a less desirable cabin.

No, they goofed and did not notice the booking was flagged or noted for no upgrades. They did not contact me, and they normally do not do so when they do an upgrade.

I only happened to catch it because someone on our roll call had trouble accessing their reservation, and I checked mine to see if it was working. In looking back at our roll call, the change was made three days before sailing, not three weeks. They had just made the change and I was able to get my TA to call and ask what the heck was going on before they had a chance to upgrade someone out of a C2 to "our" C1. If it had happened that I was not able to get them to change it back, I was prepared to offer to switch the Sky Suite with two other couples in our roll call that also had C1 cabins-- neither was interested. I was also prepared to offer to X to have whoever got upgraded to our cabin switched to the suite, but turns out I didn't have to.

This was my only experience with this, and I would assume it's atypical, but I've learned my lesson-- if it's important to you to have a specific cabin, check daily, probably early in the morning, Miami time. I figure in the future, if it happens, it happens. I would like to try a suite someday, so I'm not likely to check daily, if I ever find myself in the same situation. But I would not be a happy camper, and would expect a little something besides a nicer (?) cabin.

The prices changed after we made our final payment and I asked my TA about it. She came back with an offer of on board credit and an upgrade to an S1 corner sky suite. We are very happy.

The OBC offer is unusual, unless the final payment deadline date had not yet actually occurred. Possibly the OBC offer was from the TA, not X, though I don't know what her reason for doing so would be-- she's not gaining anything in commission.

BTW, this is a bit separate from the original topic, which is complimentary and unsolicited upgrades, otherwise known as a visit from the Upgrade Fairy. I look at switching to a higher category cabin as a result of a price drop, as you were able to do, as a self-service visit from Farius Upgradus.

The OBC offer is unusual, unless the final payment deadline date had not yet actually occurred. Possibly the OBC offer was from the TA, not X, though I don't know what her reason for doing so would be-- she's not gaining anything in commission.

BTW, this is a bit separate from the original topic, which is complimentary and unsolicited upgrades, otherwise known as a visit from the Upgrade Fairy. I look at switching to a higher category cabin as a result of a price drop, as you were able to do, as a self-service visit from Farius Upgradus.

No, it was well after the final payment was due and no, the OBC was not from the TA as they had been squeezed dry already LOL.

I fully believe that your "Farius Upgradus" came for a visit, regardless of the timing. They did not have to do a thing but they did. Good on them, I say.

Archived