Any newbie snorkelers here?

cruisegirl73

Hi, I am cruising on Aug 18th and my hubby wants to go snorkeling with my two sons ages 8 and 10 and I don't want to go. I have never been snorkeling and feel insecure about going on an excursion with people who are probably experienced. I will be the uncomfortable one not knowing if I will enjoy it. I wanted to know if there is anyone here who just recently tried it. Last year my family went on the excursion without me and i stayed on the beach alone. I don't want that again this year but also don't want to be forced to try something I don't know if I will like. If I go out on a boat that takes us to a reef, do I have to jump off of the boat into the ocean? Or do you step down off of steps? I am trying to picture it all in my head so I don't feel uncomfortable not knowing what will happen. Sorry to sound like a crazy lady but I have just recently come out of my shell about water and swimming.

First of all, definitely don't worry about being with a bunch of experienced snorkelers. The majority of people who snorkel on a cruise are beginners or only do it only occasionally. Not everyone likes it and some just end up swimming around. The ones that are experienced will go off and do their own thing anyway. The last trip I went on where we snorkeled, we wore buoyancy vests so you just kind of floated in the water without any effort and stuck your mask in if you wanted to check out what was underwater. And most likely you'll go down steps or make some other type of simple entry while you're in some type of bay or cove where the water is calm and possibly even close enough to shore to do some sunbathing if you're tired or decide snorkeling's not for you.

Try to relax so you can enjoy the scenery. If you get to go where there's lots of fish, it can be so amazing you'll forget everything else!

thank you for such great information. I feel a lot better about it. I have always had issues with needed to touch the floor of the pool or ocean and not be in places that are deep. It's a childhood thing. Ha! I have come a long way in pools but not with the ocean. I think if I knew that I was close to the beach so I can "get out" if I need to feels better than going on a boat somewhere that is not close to the shore. I will investigate farther into it. We will be in Grand Turk and St. Thomas. I won't do it in both places but maybe one. Thanks again!

A "walk in" snorkeling excursion is just made for you. Check the excursions carefully and pick the one that does not involve a boat. I remember one in USVI and I believe St. Marten's (French side) but that was a long time ago. Hawaii you can snorkel off so many beaches. Wonderful and so many fish.

I find that a snorkel vest smoothes out the wave action and I love to snorkel with the vest. A bright green security blanket that floats your body!:D For your boys you might want to check out a youth sized snorkel mask -- some excursions only have adult masks. If you wear glasses having a RX mask is well worth the cost since you can really see the fish. In fact with a little help from your friends here on CC I bet someone could advise you where you can taxi to a beach, rent snorkel masks (or bring your own) and have a wonderful (and cheap!) day.

Most excursions will make everyone wear a snorkel vest. Some will give a pool noodle too just to make you feel more comfortable. ;)

You can snorkel from shore in St. Thomas at Coki and Secret Harbor. I've never been to Coki, but from what I've read, you can be in shallow water 4-5 ft. and see fish. In Secret Harbor, the water was mostly deeper, but very calm.

I snorkeled for the first time last Jan. I was really nervous, the thought of swimming in the ocean (ok a bay...) freaked me out. Our boat had a ladder you could use to get in or you could slide off the side (think butt scoot here, the ladder was hard for me to navigate with fins). I was happy to see that there were other nervous nellies on board and the crew was super helpful getting them in the water. I am pretty proud that I did it and now we are looking forward to snorkeling on our trip to Hawaii this fall.

I would vote that you give it a shot, if your excursion was like ours you will be visiting several reefs, so if you dont like it you can just hang out in the boat at the next stop.

Have a great cruise!

hey cGirl, I used to be a nervous snorkeler too. I just hold husband's hand as he drags me around. After doing that for a while I would grow comfortable and be able to swim on my own. Believe me,as someone with a nervous stomach, the more you do it the easier it becomes. And as someone else mentioned, using a noodle is comforting too. I would bring one in my luggage ($1 from the dollar store). Mold it around the perimeter, it takes no room, and then leave it at the last beach stop or just throw it away.

buy yourself a comfortable mask and snorkel and practice before you go in a pool or even the tub!!. dicks,target,walmart all have them,probably on sale now. SO mcuh easier if you get the hang of the mask before you go. if there are no steps you can lower yourself on the ladder bit by bit. coki beach in stt is a great idea. you can get used to it in the shallow-most island beaches drop off quickly so look before you step. easier for your boys,too. we snorkeled right up to the aquarium area beyond. coki has rental equipment,other vendors. just get a taxi and tell them-you will save a fortune and see just as much as most do on an excursion in stt.you'll save enough to see the coral world and get a drink on the beach for sure...have fun. your kids won't forget that brave mom!:D

Wow! All of your comments are making me feel so much better. Thank you for giving me the "layout" of how the process goes so I can see it in my mind first. I practiced in my pool yesterday and felt so stupid because when I had the mouth peice in I felt like gagging. I'm one of those who can gag brushing my teeth, how pathetic is that. :(

Does Magen's Bay have snorkeling? I know in Grand Turk I will be snorkeling by Jack's Shack for any of you familiar with Grand Turk.

But in St. Thomas, we might be doing a Jeep excursion that drops you off at Saphire beach but I don't want to go there. I might crab a taxi to go to one of the other beaches you mentioned. Not sure about time though.

Another good spot for first time snorkelers is Tabayana beach on Roatan, Honduras. You can snorkel right off the beach here; the reef is only a short distance and an easy swim. There are usually at least two "lifeguards" in kayaks paddling out over the reef, both to give assistance if needed and to give directions.

There's almost no wave swell or ocean current to deal with, which is excellent for newbies.

We took our 9 year old grand daughter there last month, and she snorkeled for the first time and loved it! Couldn't stop talking about it for weeks.

If you really have a problem with the snorkel, try and find a tour operator or rental place where you can rent a snorkel board (aka "looky board" or "chicken board"). It's basically a kickboard or boogie board with a viewing mask embedded in it. They look like this: CLICK

Or you can buy an inflatable one for between $20-50 like these:

LESS or MORE. And several in between.

Whichever way you go, I hope you choose to give it a try. There's nothing quite like it.

just keep practicing....sapphire also has some decent snorkeling and is a beautiful beach. magens does not. you might also try a smaller snorkel...i have a small mouth and can be uncomfortable with a full-sized one. they make them so fancy now-the ones with a lot of flexibility sort of "pull" at my mouth. i prefer the less fancy straight up and down-try your 10 yo's! might fit you better.....:cool:

• 1 month later...

I have a fear of water over my head. (meaning I must be able to touch ground) Plus I have a bum shoulder n really cant tread water. But I booked a snorkel excursion for my Dec cruise in Grand Turk. Wanted to know is snorkeling something I can still do. I hear you have a vest so will that help? I bought a US Diver snorkel set. Is this premature? Thanks for any advice.

As others said there will be experienced, there will be inexperienced, there likely will be those that barely can swim. Every excursion I've been on offer life vests and sometimes kick boards with windows. When I've done them of larger boats and catamarans they've had step down ladders, YMMV.

I really encourage you to give it a go. If it isn't for you you can always hang on the boat and enjoy the festivities, but like you mentioned to not go you are alone... make it a "family" thing.

On our recent trip my wife chose not to get in the water but she still had a great time. You should hopefully have a mature, understanding and supportive husband who you talk to before hand not to pressure you and than have the kids pile on!

Hi, I am cruising on Aug 18th and my hubby wants to go snorkeling with my two sons ages 8 and 10 and I don't want to go. I have never been snorkeling and feel insecure about going on an excursion with people who are probably experienced. I will be the uncomfortable one not knowing if I will enjoy it. I wanted to know if there is anyone here who just recently tried it. Last year my family went on the excursion without me and i stayed on the beach alone. I don't want that again this year but also don't want to be forced to try something I don't know if I will like. If I go out on a boat that takes us to a reef, do I have to jump off of the boat into the ocean? Or do you step down off of steps? I am trying to picture it all in my head so I don't feel uncomfortable not knowing what will happen. Sorry to sound like a crazy lady but I have just recently come out of my shell about water and swimming.

Archived