Bending the Rules - Not Fair to Others

BORDER REIVER

Black tie

All ships

For a typical two week cruise there are normally four black tie evenings on board. However, when it is very hot, the number may be reduced.

Black tie nights on board are an opportunity for ladies to wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ballgown or even a smart trouser suit. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress. Attire for Black tie nights can be purchased on board.

Appropriate attire is essential for entry to the ship's bars and restaurants.

All I am trying to say, which I think is quite fair, that if someone chooses to wear a permitted alternative, then they should not be judged for doing so. It is also their holiday, and people do have a right to be comfortable!

I think its slightly naive to expect the brochure description to run though, throughout the whole trip as reading the reviews and comments on here, its obviously not the case.

Thanks,

Ben

Ben, you make some good points. Cruise companies usually give a variety of choices for every evening and some helpful suggestions too. There's a few choices for formal dress and I know that I was happy in a dark lounge suit at first, but as I was very much in the minority on formal evenings, I decided to buy a tux. To be honest, both are uncomfortable for me in a warm dining room. The tuxes in the room definitely looked better, but all are acceptable and no-one should feel awkward about their choice.

The other "Black Tie" do I was at gave no alternatives and so I went with the most popular form I could find from searching the internet. Those that chose to dress in brown suits on that occasion, I believe showed a lack of respect to other diners and to the event organisers.

There will always be a small minority of people who, after reading the information sent to them by a cruise company, will decide that dressing formally is not for them and they will happily dine at the buffet and enjoy their evenings wherever they can. There are also people who will say they the dress code is wrong or doesn't/shouldn't apply to them and they will do everything they can to prove their point, from turning up at the MDR inappropriately dressed, arguing with staff and trying to find discrepancies in the text of the dress code info.

Some cruise lines are quite flexible and allow a fair bit of interpretation of dres codes, but others enforce things strictly and will discreetly turn away anyone not dressed appropriately.

On our cruise on Aurora, we made friends with a nice couple who told us when we first met, that they never dressed up for dinner, they didn't like the formality. That's all it needs, a bit of honesty. At other times they were always dressed smart-casual, usually tidier than us during the day.

It's always an emotive subject, but all it needs is for people to thoroughly read the information given by the cruise lines, decide what they want out of their holiday and choose the correct ship for them.

You will enjoy your cruise, we certainly did, even though we we were novices and no-one looked oddly at us - but we had tried our very best.

Catherine

Black and white night is usually the last, and most formal night of the cruise. There may be a black and white ball held too. I am trying to rack my brains but I think they are only held on 2 week cruises. So a 7n fjord cruise for example may not have one. (There are 2 formal nights per week) I will stand corrected if I'm wrong:o

Catherine

Black and white night is usually the last, and most formal night of the cruise. There may be a black and white ball held too. I am trying to rack my brains but I think they are only held on 2 week cruises. So a 7n fjord cruise for example may not have one. (There are 2 formal nights per week) I will stand corrected if I'm wrong:o

Thanks, we are on the TA cruise so we'll have one, I'm sure I'll find something suitable. :)

Information for a particular cruise can be found here.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code_all?keepNLPQuery=true&oldid=ISARLH2THT2H8FH50CMEB8P900

Yes you do have one

Brian

Thanks Brian - I think!

Yes we have a B & W night plus a 60's and 70's as well as a tropical night. :eek:

I need a bigger suitcase!

Hi Border,

Thanks for your response. I totally agree that its awful if people don't want to take the time to read over what's required and then act & dress appropriately. There certainly is ample information.

My only worry was that people were going to be a bit off with us, but its seems from your post, that this won't be the case.

Thanks again,

Ben

If passengers do not conform the dress code, when it is clearly written on the website or brochure, then why book the cruise in the first place if they do not want to adhere to it?

Yes they can eat in the buffet or just drink in certain bars, but why should they be allowed in areas that have a dress code?

I say throw them overboard!

Then there will not be a mad rush for sunbeds.....

Hi,

I think everyone, including myself, are getting wires crossed.

I am only saying that people should be able to wear what they want, within the permitted regulations. i.e. a lounge suit, instead of a tux. If people thwart the rules then, yes they should be thrown overboard.

People that smoke in non smoking areas, especially when I am eating/drinking get first place in the que for the plank!!

I'm not sure that is what people are saying.

The point is that the formal/semi formal nights are very much part of a cruise and being aware of these nights people should pack the appropriate clothes and confirm to the standards required.

If not they should dine in the buffets and not use the bars on those nights.

There are some people who take the cruises and decide to argue about the dress code rather than conform, it amazes me why people who don't like dressing up go on a cruise where this is expected. :rolleyes:

I do think that some people believe that as they pay 'good money' for a cruise they should be able to wear what they like having no consideration at all to others who like the formality of this type of cruise and expect the same from other guests.

If you don't like it I'm sure there are plenty of other cruises that offer a far more informal cruising style.

This is the real reason why the Brits abroad are loathed .... tsch tsch ...

WHY is it expected to dress up on a 3 star company like P&O yet not for a 5 star company like Crystal ???

The reason is that the bourgeois class of Britain try and lord it over one and other by pretending to be affluent by dressing up and moaning when others fail to conform - news flash the empire is dead ..... Vive la revolution I say.

WHY is it expected to dress up on a 3 star company like P&O yet not for a 5 star company like Crystal ???

The reason is that the bourgeois class of Britain try and lord it over one and other by pretending to be affluent by dressing up and moaning when others fail to conform - news flash the empire is dead ..... Vive la revolution I say.

Is this post for real?

I'm a working class Welsh vally girl who's father worked in the mines and who's mother worked in a shop!

The fact that you point out the star differences indicates a snobbery that I most certainly do not have.

As for Brits abroad being loathed - I have never really come across this, infact, while I love America, the most rude and obnoxious people I have met on my travels have been the Americans.

It has nothing to do with pretending to be affluent, it's about enjoying an 'occassion' and I am looking forward to that opportunity.

If people don't want to dress up then don't go on a cruise where there is a dress code, there are plenty of cruise ships out there.

I have to believe that your post is a wind up! :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with the star rating. Its about some ships trying to appeal to one market and others to other markets. Cunard is american owned and the QM2 goes back and forth across the Atlantic half full of yanks who fully immerse themselves in formality. In fact RCI and Princess are American owned and have dress codes too which their multinational passengers seem to enjoy.

And as for the Brits being loathed abroad. Not sure where you go on your holidays but generally Brits tend to be liked and appreciated in a huge number of countries except perhaps the more loutish resorts where the Brits are behaving the opposite of bourgeois.

A company will only continue to offer a product while there are sufficient customers who want to buy that product. When passengers no longer wish to dress up, they will sail with alternative cruise lines. Judging by the popularity of the more formal ships, that's not anywhere near happening yet.

Someone who has booked a cruise with P&O, Cunard (& others) and then complains about the dress codes is like someone who travels to the Arctic and complains about the cold.

I think that attacking dressing up in the evening is inverted snobbery. It is no longer the exclusive domain of the wealthy and is enjoyed by all classes and ages. Have a look around any university town and you will see thousands of students dresses in tuxes and ballgowns for dinners and balls - they love it as well. Dressing for dinner is more fashionable than many think.

A company will only continue to offer a product while there are sufficient customers who want to buy that product. When passengers no longer wish to dress up, they will sail with alternative cruise lines. Judging by the popularity of the more formal ships, that's not anywhere near happening yet.

Someone who has booked a cruise with P&O, Cunard (& others) and then complains about the dress codes is like someone who travels to the Arctic and complains about the cold.

I think that attacking dressing up in the evening is inverted snobbery. It is no longer the exclusive domain of the wealthy and is enjoyed by all classes and ages. Have a look around any university town and you will see thousands of students dresses in tuxes and ballgowns for dinners and balls - they love it as well. Dressing for dinner is more fashionable than many think.

An excellent point, in fact prom night is becoming the 'norm' at the end of 6th form.

I have posted previously I am usually a jeans and t shirt person but am looking forward to the formal nights on the cruise, even if it is costing me a fortune! :D

An excellent point, in fact prom night is becoming the 'norm' at the end of 6th form.

I have posted previously I am usually a jeans and t shirt person but am looking forward to the formal nights on the cruise, even if it is costing me a fortune! :D

You girls probably spend what we blokes save on our outfits :D

£100 for a tux jacket/trousers, pleated dress shirt, bow tie & cummerbund.:) Much, much more than that for my fiancee's ballgown - well worth it though, she looks a million dollars - and that's why we dress up in the evening, to see all (well most of) the passengers looking amazing in all their finery. It's not about snobbery, it's about a feelgood factor and creating a special effect throughout the ship.

I have not read all the 3 pages of comments.

From my point of view I am quite young for a cruiser. I went on my first cruise with my partner when we were both 23 and we have been cruising ever since. 10 years later and we still feel quite young on board ship. Neither of us have to dress up for our jobs, so when we go on holiday we enjoy the formal nights.

We cruised on RCI last year and the dress code was not observed or enforced at all. I am not even talking about things like jackets, I am talking about people turning up in sandles and vests. I also had a problem with someone smoking in the non smoking area, I said something and though there was going to be a scene, the staff did nothing. We will be avoiding RCI in the future.

To be fair to P&O they are always very good. I don't mind the odd person who forgets their jacket etc.. or some minor slip. Our favourite ship is Ventura and we found the dress code was very well adhered to.

I don't particularly enjoy dressing up. I'm the wrong shape for a start and find it very difficult to get a decent fitting suit. Shirts are even worse if you're fat like me. You have to buy one with such a large chest/waist measurement that the collar would fit a buffalo. Imagine how bad a bow-tie looks on a collar that is about three inches bigger than your neck size, not a great look. Even with all this to contend with I have always made the effort to comply with the dress codes on board ship. I think it is the respectful thing to do. I may not look great but I will be wearing the required clothes. Then what really grinds my gears is people who just can't be bothered. On my first ever cruise on Ventura in her maiden Season I was dressed up in DJ etc as required and some ***** (insert your own expletive here) came and stood next to me at the bar wearing a football shirt. I could have thrown him overboard myself. So all you sveldt gentlemen out there, who can just go and pick a suit off the peg for peanuts, please do so. You'll probably look and feel great. Lucky buggers.

You have no excuse for not complying other than arrogance, ignorance and lack of respect or manners.

Pete.

I don't particularly enjoy dressing up. I'm the wrong shape for a start and find it very difficult to get a decent fitting suit. Shirts are even worse if you're fat like me. You have to buy one with such a large chest/waist measurement that the collar would fit a buffalo. Imagine how bad a bow-tie looks on a collar that is about three inches bigger than your neck size, not a great look. Even with all this to contend with I have always made the effort to comply with the dress codes on board ship. I think it is the respectful thing to do. I may not look great but I will be wearing the required clothes. Then what really grinds my gears is people who just can't be bothered. On my first ever cruise on Ventura in her maiden Season I was dressed up in DJ etc as required and some ***** (insert your own expletive here) came and stood next to me at the bar wearing a football shirt. I could have thrown him overboard myself. So all you sveldt gentlemen out there, who can just go and pick a suit off the peg for peanuts, please do so. You'll probably look and feel great. Lucky buggers.

You have no excuse for not complying other than arrogance, ignorance and lack of respect or manners.

Pete.

Well said Pete!

Who said P&O was a '3* company?' I thought it was 4* ?

Archived