Left Behind in Paradise?....

Islandbear

Has anyone here ever been left behind and seen the boat sail away?

Everyone talks about it and why you should only book Carnival excursions, and always carry your passport with you. But, I have never read about anyone actually missing the boat in a foreign port.

If you have missed a ship, What happened?

I have not!! Thankfully!

A couple we cruise with did see a couple left in Calica, MX (the last port). They said it was a little Asian looking lady and that she assaulted the guard at the gate as the ship was pulling away. Quite a site to see as he described it!

No, but I know it does happen. The people that it has happened to just don't post on here.:)

I have read threads from time to time where people had to be left behind or left the cruise early due to a medical emergency or something, but have yet to see someone actually admit that they lost track of time or got drunk or something and missed the ship.

When we were leaving San Juan on our last cruise, the ship was held up because not everyone was back on. We're all standing out on our balconies about 45 minutes after we were supposed to leave and some uniformed people (couldn't tell if they were police or what) were helping a VERY drunk lady back to the boat. :) A few minutes longer and I'm sure she would've been left behind. I bet she was mortified when her fog finally cleared.

I originally was going to ask "How good a swimmer are you"? Lately, it seems like a lot of flamers having a bad day, so I won't ask that. Seriously, if on a cruise sponsored excursion, they will wait for you or find a way to get you to the next stop. Otherwise, they will wait a little, but since they pay for port time, you should watch You Tube running to cruise ship.

On the Valor back in January 2010 we were pulling out of Cozumel and the ship stopped. Then suddenly you see the "guide" boat heading towards the ship. There then 5 passengers that boarded the Valor from the guide boat. Everyone was on the decks looking at the spectacle. Not sure if they were on a Carnival excursion or not. It was quite the seen though.

I've seen it happen a couple of times. I remember there was a couple who got left in Nassau. The husband was running full speed waving his hands while the ship was pulling away. The wife was walking casually along the dock with all her shopping bags. The ship did not stop and we saw them being picked up I guess by the Port Authority(?) and taken back into town.....

Unless there is some kind of emergency there is absolutely no excuse for cutting it so close getting back to the ship.....

Saw this last October on NCL's The Pearl. We were in Key West standing on our balcony waiting for the ship to sail away. Saw numerous people running for the gang plank with people yelling at them. Finally the ship starts sailing off and sure enough there is a couple running and then just stopping as they see it is too late. I felt so bad for them but at least they were in Key West and could make it to Miami by the next day. Later on I was talking to one of the crew and he said that this happens all the time in Key West. People get to drinking and having fun and lose track of time.

It has never happened to us (knock on wood), but I remember when we booked our 1st cruise w/ our TA and she gave us advice about cruising and it has stayed with us since! She told us that some of the ports make all of their $$ off of cruise ship passengers. If you are at a Senior Frogs or Fat Tuesdays and they start to turn up the music really load and giving out free shots they are trying to make you late or miss the ship :eek:! Which means you have to pay for a room, new flight, food ect.

I was shocked, but sure enough we went to Senior Frogs in Puerta Vallarta and when we got there, there were a # of taxi out front and the music wasn't load. We ate had a drink and decided to head back. As we paid our bill we noticed the music got really load, a conga line formed, and the bartenders were giving out free shots! We walked outside and there were NO taxis!!

Let's just say on that trip there were some passengers running back to the ship!

Last year on the Conquest in Jamaica, our driver from a non-carnival excursion to Ocho Rios didn't gauge traffic time very well and we were 20 min late getting back. There were 8 of us and we were scared to death as he weaved in and out of rush hour traffic trying to get us there. We made a mad dash through the terminal and hundreds of people were out on the balcony cheering as we sprinted to the ship. Later we heard they had been making announcements over the ship intercom looking for us. Sooo embarrasing. When we boarded we were told 2 more minutes and they'd have left without us. The door closed behind us and before we could get to our room on the first deck the ship was moving out of port. If traveling very far from port I would recommend a ship excursion. Getting left behind would have been horrible, not to mention expensive!

I've seen it happen a couple of times. I remember there was a couple who got left in Nassau. The husband was running full speed waving his hands while the ship was pulling away. The wife was walking casually along the dock with all her shopping bags. The ship did not stop and we saw them being picked up I guess by the Port Authority(?) and taken back into town.....

Unless there is some kind of emergency there is absolutely no excuse for cutting it so close getting back to the ship.....

I was on the ship when this happened. The lady looked a bit over weight and I don't think she was just meandering along, it's a long walk to get through the terminal building, security and around to the far pier. My question was why didn't one of the shuttles bring them around.

We almost missed the ship in St. Kitts and in Napels due to mechanical problems. In St. Kitts we were on a Carnival excursion and were technically 5 minutes late, but we got on and they closed the door right behind us. In Napels we were on a private excursion at Pompeii and the Almafi Coast and we had a flat as we left Pompeii and then the traffic is horrific. We only made it my about 10 minutes.

I checked on-line and there are a lot of reports of people running to catch the boat or tenders bringing someone out to the ship. But I couldn't find any reports of people actually left in foreign ports.

You should go over to John Heald's FB page. It seems as though each week people have missed Magic sometimes a few times during 1 sailing.

John Heald

missing 3 guests - one family - from Mass

Monday at 12:46pm

John Heald

still missing 3

Monday at 12:51pm

John Heald

by the skin of their teeth the family made it.....all onboard. Web cam pointing to port

Monday at 1:00pm

John Heald

sailed - missing 4 - from..........................​....................Dallas Texas

July 26 at 3:28pm

John Heald

Sailing - missing 2 ladies from Orange County California. Bugger.........first port........bugger !

July 25 at 1:31pm

I had a close call one time in Cozumel. Like another poster said, inside Carlos and Charlies having a GREAT time sipping on Margaritas (OK, maybe not sipping) and dancing on the dance floor (OK, it was really a table but if it's in the corner does it count?) and lost track of time. By the time we realized we needed to get back there wasn't a taxi to be found. We did find a horse and buggy though. I remember hearing clip clop clip clop and being shoved onto the last tender. We were definitely the last ones on with the door closing behind us. That story continues on but that's for another thread. ;)

We were leaving Nassau on the Glory, the ship was about 15 feet away from the pier and moving in reverse when two people came running down the pier. The ship eased back to the pier, dropped the gangway, people got on and we were gone again; I don't think the ship ever actually stopped moving!

Me and my hubby have never been late back to the ship.I make sure to keep track of the time.

For instance last year on the Dream we were at Mahogany Bay drinking at Fat Tuesday got a little tipsie:D but still we were able to make it back to the boat on time.

Anyways.....

As me and hubby where settling in on our cove balcony getting ready to see us sail away.This couple came running around the corner of one of the shop's and they just stopped and started pointing.They could have made it because we hadn't pulled away from the dock yet.They didn't even try to run and make it,they just stood there.His wife was sooo pissed and her husband just dropped to the ground and sat down and starting talking to an official.

Me and my hubby are thinking why didn't they just run for it they could have made it.My hubby and i thought it was sooo funny,we alway's find humor in people missing the ship.They tell you to be back at a certain time so it's the people's own fault that they miss the ship.:rolleyes:

Last year on the Splendor we left people in all three ports. I believe it was 2 in Puerto Vallarta, 6 in Mazatlan and 4 in Cabo.....

In May I was on the Crown Princess and when we were in Belfast there were bombs placed around the city. At sailaway time there were approximately 1500 passengers still off the ship. Our friends had rented a car to go to the Giants Causeway and she was calling the in port agent the whole time. The ship waited for them. They were only about 20 minutes behind the last tour bus with Princess booked excursions. They told her that in any other circumstance they wouldn't have waited.

Lesson: Always take the daily paper with the in port agents phone number on it.

My favorite memory was in Montego Bay. Our balcony overlooked the terminal and we could see the various people running. We all cheered each one on! TONS of fun!!!

About 5 years ago in Ocho Rios we stopped at the Margaritaville. It's just about 100 yeards from the ship at most. We were to be back at 5:30. DD was 4 and wanted to go down the slide a few times. We let her and as we stepped foot on the gangplank and onto the ship ,they pulled it up! 5:30 on the dot!

Lesson: Always take the daily paper with the in port agents phone number on it.

That is very good advice. I guess I never even realized they posted that information. Fortunately, I have never needed to use it either.

2 years ago, I was on a cruise to Progreso and Cozumel on the Fantasy. (Exact same itinerary as the Ecstasy that week; Fantasy from NO and Ecstasy from Galveston, with Ecstasy docking and departing the ports an hour before Fantasy.) In Progreso, apparently 2 young ladies missed their ship (Ecstasy) and SOMEHOW they allowed them to board Fantasy and catch up with Ecstasy the next day in Cozumel. Perhaps a "paradise legend," but it was all the talk throughout the ship that night...

On the Valor back in January 2010 we were pulling out of Cozumel and the ship stopped. Then suddenly you see the "guide" boat heading towards the ship. There then 5 passengers that boarded the Valor from the guide boat. Everyone was on the decks looking at the spectacle. Not sure if they were on a Carnival excursion or not. It was quite the seen though.

We were in the same port on the Conquest in Sept '10 and saw the same thing. We all watched as the guide boat caught up to the other ship and the passengers being transferred to their cruise ship.:eek:

We were in the same port on the Conquest in Sept '10 and saw the same thing. We all watched as the guide boat caught up to the other ship and the passengers being transferred to their cruise ship.:eek:

I saw the same kind thing. Back 1992, we had just left port and the ship stopped everyone looked out to see what was going on and a boat had pulled up to ship and a passenger was brought aboard. I knew the girl and she had no real excuse.

I've heard stories about people left behind and problems they have faced, but no one I personally know. I was told of a couple left behind at the first stop in Mexico, no passports, and no way to catch up to the ship. Eventually they went to Miami and waited for the ship to return, get the luggage from the ship and fly home.

We've seen "runners" in every port we have been in!

In 2008 we were in Ocho Rios and a couple missed the ship. They were actually brought out to the ship by a smaller boat - must have been the port authority or Jamaican equivalent.

Archived