Stingray Sandbar (Moby Dick / Dr. Marvin NOT WORKING OUT)

oherbol

I am going to be in Cayman on 9/8/2011. I wanted to go to the stingray city. I arrive at 7:30am and I have to be at dolphin discovery at 1pm (check in at 12:30).

Dr. Marvin’s early tour starts at 8:30 but I was told by email that by past experience, carnival has not been getting there early enough for cruisers to make the early tour since check in is at 8am.

Moby dick's tour starts at 9:30 and ends at 12:30. I can make the dolphin swim!

Can anyone recommend another great tour? I don’t want to have a lousy one and be disappointed since this is our first cruise.

Thanks,

I also highly recommend Mark and Moby Dick's tour; our family has used their tour on both of our cruises to Grand Cayman, and we'd definitely book them again. Depending on the number of ships in port on a given day, they sometimes run two trips to accommodate their guests in the small groups that allow the Moby Dick team to provide plenty of personal attention to each of their guests. We were with them Friday, and had a great time. Hopefully, we'll have some pics to post of the waterspout that formed off Grand Cayman while we were visiting.

I have use CAPT Marvins (I assume this is who you meant when you said Dr) and they have always been great BUT I dont think you will find a tour that leaves earlier then theirs does. People seem to be late risers in Cayman. Nothing is open early out there.

I I have to be at dolphin discovery at 1pm (check in at 12:30).

Moby dick's tour starts at 9:30 and ends at 12:30. I can make the dolphin swim!

Can anyone recommend another great tour? I don’t want to have a lousy one and be disappointed since this is our first cruise.

Thanks,

How does a tour end at 12:30 and you gotta check in early at that time-- how does this work?

will they take you if you are late?

(personally- i think you are doing way too much in one port- that sun will take the energy out of you.

then to rush one experience for another--

Just not worth the stress. take one or the other- not both

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on the time zone your ship is on, determines the island arrival time. Grand Cayman stays on EST all year, so they are an hour earlier than your likely ship's time of EDT if you depart from an eastern port. I toured with Capt. Marvin my last time there on a Carnival ship on EDT that listed its arrival time as 8:00AM. That is really 7:00AM island time. We had time to kill waiting at Capt. Marvin's office for check-in and their bus.

I highly recommend Capt. Marvin. We have toured with them twice in the past. He invented the stingray city tour many years ago. He is over 90-years old now, and he drove the boat on both trips we took with them.

Jim M.

We've used Capt. Marvin every time we've been there. And yes, he is over 90 now. He told me last year that he had his annual physical and the Doctor told him he should slow down. I laughed harder than he did. If anyone has any questions about his tours, or anyone else's, you can e-mail their website and they will answer all your questions. I'm heading there in November and it can't get here soon enough.

• 1 month later...

Ruth of Captain Marvin's suggested I take the early tour because they haven't had problems with people from my ship being late. Here's hoping she'll be right because I decided to book with them instead of other tours!

I'll just have to run to their office or something -- Morning jog I haven't planned for, :P

Archived