MS Fram: clothing supplied

digitl

We're on one of MS Fram's Antarctic sailings next year and are getting conflicting stories on the clothing they supply and that which we need to take with us.

So far, it seems 'definite' that they supply a windproof and waterproof jacket that we will keep.

Waterproof trousers appear to be something they don't provide, either on loan or to keep.

Appropriate footwear seems to be uncertain. I have read that footwear is collected from the 'boot room' for landings, but I've also read that we should take our own.

Is anyone who has been on an Antarctic trip on the Fram able to clear up the uncertainty for us?

TIA

I was on the Fram in Feb. 2009.

They do provide a windproof/waterproof jacket, which does that (wind and waterproofing) very well, however it is not warm at all so it should be worn on top of warm clothing (polar fleece jacket for instance).

You have to bring your own waterproof trousers (they are really necessary for landings since you get wet in the Polarcirkle boats).

They provide the boots for landings. You can bring your own if you want (if you have special requirement for instance) but they'd rather you used theirs, since it has to be thoroughly disinfected before and after landings. These boots are for landings only so you should bring appropriate footwear for the boat (inside, and outside).

I hope this clears it up. Don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions.

We're on one of MS Fram's Antarctic sailings next year and are getting conflicting stories on the clothing they supply and that which we need to take with us.

So far, it seems 'definite' that they supply a windproof and waterproof jacket that we will keep.

Waterproof trousers appear to be something they don't provide, either on loan or to keep.

Appropriate footwear seems to be uncertain. I have read that footwear is collected from the 'boot room' for landings, but I've also read that we should take our own.

Is anyone who has been on an Antarctic trip on the Fram able to clear up the uncertainty for us?

TIA

We were on the Fram for an Antarctic trip in 2010. They provide you with a good waterproof jacket with hood to keep, but that is it.

They do provide boots that are kept in the boot room, we had no problems finding the right size, but they are marked in Eur sizes, you could check before hand to know what you need. The boots belong to the ship, you cannot wear them to your cabin.

We took everything else, waterproof shell pants, waterproof gloves, thermals, a fleece beanie, (balaclava would be better), etc.

Some folks showed up with no shell pants thinking they could buy them onboard, big mistake as they do sell a few pants, but the store is so small the selection is extremely limited in sizes. Bring your own.

We went in February and while it was cold, it was not as cold as you may think. We ended up reducing our clothing after the first day. The worst cold is while in the Zodiacs from the wind.

We had thermals, then a jean, then a shell pant. For uppers we had a long sleeved nylon T shirt, then a long sleeved fleece shirt, then a fleece pullover or zip up, then the shell jacket.

For gloves we had a thin fleece glove and also a waterproof glacier glove with finger holes so we could operate our cameras.

Sunshades are important, the wraparound type is better as the wind is cutting on the face while out on decks and on the zodiacs.

You can see our report with pictures here, opatravels.blogspot.com it may help with some of your questions. You can email me at mrqcace@yahoo.com as well.

We loved our trip and have booked a return trip for November of 2012.

You can see our report with pictures here, opatravels.blogspot.com it may help with some of your questions.

I really enjoyed reading it and found it both helpful and interesting. However, I dare not show it to my wife!

We rounded Cape Horn last year in quite unexpectedly calm conditions but ran into a storm on the way to, and while passing, the Falkland Islands which meant we couldn't get in. The experience was 'interesting' but has left my wife a little nervous about crossing Drake Passage...

I really enjoyed reading it and found it both helpful and interesting. However, I dare not show it to my wife!

We rounded Cape Horn last year in quite unexpectedly calm conditions but ran into a storm on the way to, and while passing, the Falkland Islands which meant we couldn't get in. The experience was 'interesting' but has left my wife a little nervous about crossing Drake Passage...

Not to worry, my wife was a bit afraid also but did fine. We had the second roughest crossing of the Drake that season for the Fram. What sailing are you on?

Rc

Archived