probably dumb questions

mrchirpy

This is our very first cruise and my wife and I have several questions. Leaving from NYC but not fling in to port. Are there any restriictions on the number of carry on pices of luggage?

Next, we love to ballroom dance, tango, fox trot, etc. Are there lounges for this or just a disco?

Next how formal are the formal nmights. Mens Jacket and good shirt OK or do I need a tie?

Weather in Halifax & 'St Johns, wife is always cold?

Like I said really dumb questions

Thanks

This is our very first cruise and my wife and I have several questions. Leaving from NYC but not fling in to port. Are there any restriictions on the number of carry on pices of luggage? Only to what you can carry yourselves without any help.

Next, we love to ballroom dance, tango, fox trot, etc. Are there lounges for this or just a disco? The Wheelhouse and Explorer's Lounge usually have dance music.

Next how formal are the formal nmights. Mens Jacket and good shirt OK or do I need a tie? Tie

Weather in Halifax & 'St Johns, wife is always cold? Bring a sweatshirt just to be on the safe side.

Thanks

:) xxx

This is our very first cruise and my wife and I have several questions. Leaving from NYC but not fling in to port. Are there any restriictions on the number of carry on pices of luggage?

Sorry I don't know the answer to this

Next, we love to ballroom dance, tango, fox trot, etc. Are there lounges for this or just a disco?

They have a lovely bar named The Wheelhouse Bar. It has the most wonderful dancing band and ballroom dancing is alive and well here. It is a quiet lovely bar. If you want to see what it looks like (or any other public room on Caribbean Princess you can go to my blog and view the interactive Deck Plan I made. It contains both photos and Panoramas of all the Public rooms on Caribbean Princess. Blog Link to Deck Plan: Click Here. BTW: Wheelhouse Bar is located on the Promenade Deck

Next how formal are the formal nmights. Mens Jacket and good shirt OK or do I need a tie? Personally I would put on the tie for dinner and drinks before dinner, after that you would be comfortable dumping it.

Weather in Halifax & 'St Johns, wife is always cold? Being Canadian, I might have a different idea of what cold is, but it mostly depends on the time of year... Late August or Late November? Remember you are "up North" and beside the ocean both at the same time. This means that even on hot days it can feel cool because of the breezes of the sea.

Thanks

First and formost no such thing as dumb questions. Any concern you have will be addressed by the nice people here on CC.

We sailed Caribbean Princess 2 years ago and you will love it and cruising.

I hope this helps. Enjoy the cruise... I am certain you will.

We did the cruise from Quebec to N.Y.C. in mid October most of the trip I was in shirt sleeves. In St.John they had a cold snap that night and it was in the low 20's with a 15 mph wind with gusts to 30mph. Guess whose wife booked an open horse drawn carriage tour for that day.

By the way the only dumb question is the one you want to ask but don't, asking is how we learn.

Wow, first cruise, bet you want to leave right now.

If you are taking a camera, be sure to take lots of memory sticks if digital. I take a stick for each day. That way if something happens to the camera I will not lose all of my photos.

Another hint, never leave your cabin without the camera. You can never tell when you will see something you want a photo of for your trip memory book.

Have fun

Bob

This is our very first cruise and my wife and I have several questions. Leaving from NYC but not fling in to port. Are there any restriictions on the number of carry on pices of luggage? Nope. But you will probably end up need way less than you pack.

Next how formal are the formal nmights. Mens Jacket and good shirt OK or do I need a tie? You will be fine with that, but pack a tie just in case. Heck, they are small...

Weather in Halifax & 'St Johns, wife is always cold? We were there in the first week of October last year, and we were pretty warm, though they say about NE weather--"If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes." We are from NE so we have a pretty good idea of what variant means! It was really windy in Halifax, but not cold.

Good luck and have a wonderful 1st cruise. This will be the only "first cruise" you ever get to have so have the best time EVER! :)

There aren't any restrictions but remember you will have limited space to keep your things and you probably won't wear a lot of the things you take. I take out all the clothes I want to wear on a cruise and then put back about a third!:p

Wheelhouse Bar

Next how formal are the formal nmights. Mens Jacket and good shirt OK or do I need a tie?

My hubby actually wears a tux on formal nights but a dark suit with a tie is great too.

Weather in Halifax & 'St Johns, wife is always cold?

We did this itinerary in the summer and we were fine in short sleeves all the time. Your wife may want to take a sweater instead of or as well as a sweatshirt if she needs to warm up in a bit dressier venue.

No dumb questions! Have a fantastic first cruise!

Tip--take some dramamine or bonine just in case( the 24 hour kind)...and if you need it, take it before bed so if it makes you tired, you'll sleep it off.

We were in St Thomas at Christmas time, and the weather was beautiful.

Didn't need a wrap day or night.

The OP is not going to the Caribbean but St. John, NB. :) Very different weather.

You can bring as much luggage as you want, and as many carry-on's. However, the largest carry-on must fit through an airport-type scanner. You will drop off your suitcases at the entrance to the terminal and they will be delivered to your cabin. A suggestion is to pack your valuables (jewelry, money, cameras, prescriptions, etc.) in your carry-on as well as anything you might want or need for the afternoon. Usually, bags are delivered within a few hours but sometimes they are delayed.

You'll find that you will have over-packed for your first cruise. :) You'll get much more efficient with your second. Bring a tie for formal night; the vast majority of the men will be in suits with a few tuxes, some in sport coats, jackets and ties.

There will be a Princess Patter in your cabin when you board and one will be delivered nightly during your cruise. This is a daily activities newssheet that will list the times and places for every activity. You'll see the times that the dance band(s) are playing, and which lounge, in the Patter.

Keep the questions coming. There's no such thing as a dumb one. As a matter of fact, you're smart to ask the questions; the dumb one's don't. :)

and your are doing the east coast, i might mention that the seas can get pretty rough there. do you get car sick or sick on rides? then i might suggest something for seasickness to take with you or start before you go. nothing makes a bad cruise like being seasick:(

dont forget that you can order as much as you want in the dining room and even 2 main courses or desserts!!;)

When you pack get rid of coat hangers. Leave clothes in the plastic laundry bags fresh out of the laundry. We used to take 2 trunk steamers and one carry on for luggage. This 10 day cruise we are taking one trunk steamer and one carryon. We will be using the ships laundry service with only 6 changes of clothes plus my Tux.

Archived