Book Now or nearer time??

Me and hubby want to go on cruise Sept 2012 for our 25th Anniversary.

As never been on cruise before, i'm not sure whether should book now or would I get better deal by waiting??

Also any suggestions on what cruise would be best for first timers?

Can't decide between Med or Canada/New England. Seems you get more for your money with Thomson as Transatlantic you gotta pay extra for loads, but it is special occassion.

Been looking on here and you all seem like veterans of cruising and have a mind full of info that you can't get from the brouchure's or TA.

maybe near the time you would get a great discount ,but then your dates may not be available ?

this year we got on the Dream last minute for £530 each (no AI)

The year before we paid nearly 2k for a week !?(no AI) as it was our 25th and wanted to book specific dates , only difference on first cruise we had outside cabin this year same deck (6)but inside :eek:

not much difference in cabins but outside was larger, but we were not in cabin too long apart from sleeping etc :cool:

Loved the Dream and will go back again :) and again if i can afford !

Stevie

Thanks for that.

Yes dates are bit restricted, so might be best to book now.

And I agree about cabin, don't want to spend to much time in there would rather spend extra money on trips.!!

Thanks

we often wait, but we too are doing a special birthday 2 weeker in summer 2012 and we wanted to make sure of the date, and that there would be flights from our airport, choose the room etc, so we booked when the cruises went on sale, and got free AI and to select the cabin we want. A bit more than we have paid for other cruises BUT worth it to get the dates/flights/cabin we wanted.

I would book later as long as we were prepared to be flexible on dates/times and could get cheap or free AI

We have done both - there are clear advantages of booking early as already mentioned; dates, also departure airport, freebies/perks like AI, particular itinerary (don't want to settle for something else last minute if you can't get what you want) and cabin selection. But by the same token we've had some great last minute deals too and saved £100's.

I'd say, if it's for something special and you have your heart set on one ship/itinerary then perhaps it's best going for an early booking.

In the past, I would have said there are always better deals near to departure and if you have the nerve, hang on (especially if you aren't too bothered by AI - i.e. don't expect a huge bar bill) but just know prices are bucking the trend.

Have you seen Thomson prices for September? I nearly started a thread just about that!!! I've never seen such high prices - even more than when the brochures first came out for some - and no AI or any other sweetener! :eek: What's everyone's take on that??

We've previously been on 3 Thomson cruises and always booked as soon as the brochures came out so we got free AI and booked the cabin we wanted. We are thinking of trying the Dream september 2012 but I'm waiting until nearer the time as I agree the prices are so expensive at the minute.

We're on the Destiny for New Year, first time on there having already been on the Spirit and Celebration.

We love the friendliness though on Thomson ships

P.S. You asked about cruises for first timers - well, I think that all depends on the kind of places you like to visit.

I haven't done Canada/New England so can't comment on that, but there tends to be quite a few cities included in the Med itineraries; Barcelona, Rome, Florence, Naples etc. We absolutely love these famous, but very touristy places and had a brilliant b-2-b on the Dream this summer so would really recommend that - but only if you fancy these city-type destinations. (There are some more relaxed, restful ports of call too included as a contrast though.)

Perhaps it would be worth weighing up what kind of ports you would find most interesting; cultural (like Rome, Florence etc. or a Baltic cruise - St Petersburg is wonderful!) or scenery like Norway and what balance you prefer in respect of beach opportunities etc.

Also, as first timers you will have to think about excursions. You might prefer the ship excursions or wish to adopt a DiY approach. Some ports of call are easy to do your own thing - others not so convenient. You can find loads of advice on here about doing independent trips if that's what you'd like. But it's worth weighing all that up in terms of your choice of itinerary - if you have to take quite a number of ship's trips (through your own choice or because of difficulty of getting to attractions any other way) remember this can add quite a bit to your holiday expenses. Of course, you may like just taking advantage of the sun-deck in which case the weather's the most important thing!

Perhaps you'd like to give us an idea of what you think you'd like then we could point out some of the things it might be worth considering when making your decision. Good luck with your decision-making though - and I'm sure you will enjoy the cruise experience!

The next cruise we are on in September is now much more expensive than when we booked about 7 months ago! I was astonished at what they are now asking.

We have had cheap last minute deals in the past but have had to travel long distances witin the UK to fly & wonder if it was worth the hassle.

Thanks for all your advice.

So much to think about, So much choice !!!!

Think my head may explode :confused: lol

Was prob gonna do Med as you can see so much. Will prob book soon as well so we can get what we want. Special Occassion and don't want to mess it up and all that.

We always book early,in fact we booked for next year within two weeks of coming back in June.Benefits for us.We got AI,(important to me ;))flights/airport we wanted,deck and cabin we wanted,itinerary we wanted and it all came in way cheaper than this years cruise.

We generally book early simply to get what we want ie AI,dates, cabin etc. We find the cheapest price on line and then go round the TAs and haggle with them to beat it. Usually works. Having cruised a number of years with Thomson you get to know what would be a reasonable price and what is totally out of order. We went on a package holiday this year checking the price of Red Sea Cruise in November and when we came back found the price had jumped £150.00. Then it was cancelled and had to look for something else. Seen a cruise from Limmasol to Sharm on the Celebration changeover on cruise deals which I thought was a great price from Glasgow AI, Outside 3/4, booked cabin, etc, Mind you in saying that you will always get someone who has booked the same cruise, AI etc for less than you. Hate that I never talk about price when I'm on board.

We generally book early simply to get what we want ie AI,dates, cabin etc. We find the cheapest price on line and then go round the TAs and haggle with them to beat it. Usually works. Having cruised a number of years with Thomson you get to know what would be a reasonable price and what is totally out of order. We went on a package holiday this year checking the price of Red Sea Cruise in November and when we came back found the price had jumped £150.00. Then it was cancelled and had to look for something else. Seen a cruise from Limmasol to Sharm on the Celebration changeover on cruise deals which I thought was a great price from Glasgow AI, Outside 3/4, booked cabin, etc, Mind you in saying that you will always get someone who has booked the same cruise, AI etc for less than you. Hate that I never talk about price when I'm on board.

I agree with you Paco35 - least said about costs on board the better!

Either: I've had a much better deal then I don't want to mention it to someone who has paid a lot more as I don't want them to feel bad...

Or: I've paid a lot more and don't want to hear about someone who's paid a lot less 'cos then I feel bad..............

It takes a certain kind of passenger who wants to boast about their 'fantastic deal' - it's just gloating in my book - and very insensitive as the people they're speaking to have almost certainly not had such a good deal.

Obviously we all love to get a good price and we can share good offers and our experiences on here with fellow members - and in the spirit of this thread try to help each other. But as you say - once across the dinner table, least said the better! ;)

We always book early,in fact we booked for next year within two weeks of coming back in June.Benefits for us.We got AI,(important to me ;))flights/airport we wanted,deck and cabin we wanted,itinerary we wanted and it all came in way cheaper than this years cruise.

well i am surprised Jim, AI never would have guesed that :D

Stveie

Either: I've had a much better deal then I don't want to mention it to someone who has paid a lot more as I don't want them to feel bad...

Or: I've paid a lot more and don't want to hear about someone who's paid a lot less 'cos then I feel bad..............

It takes a certain kind of passenger who wants to boast about their 'fantastic deal' - it's just gloating in my book - and very insensitive as the people they're speaking to have almost certainly not had such a good deal.

Obviously we all love to get a good price and we can share good offers and our experiences on here with fellow members - and in the spirit of this thread try to help each other. But as you say - once across the dinner table, least said the better! ;)

totally agree! I find it rather rude when people talk about what they have paid for their crusie to other passengers - once there you paid what you paid and thats that!! you always get someone who wants to brag though ay :rolleyes:

AI is very important, I just worked out that just for me and OH

Work it out, over the course of the day I have say 12 drinks (beer,wine,cocktails) all avg £3.20 per drink x 14 days = £539 :eek:

The OH will probably have 10 drinks (wine, cocktails, spirits) £448

That's £987 :D Simples

And thats drinking in Moderation :p

No porthole or picture window Stevie?You must have slept wearing a snorkel and diving suit.

so that what it was?... beyond the curtain a picture window,thought I was still inside cabin ? :D

and... NO Jim i did not sleep with above , only with my life jacket and ....beloved in diving suit ;)

think i need another trip .. (on the Dream i mean !) again to sort all this out

however today is Sunday and work tomos :eek:

Stevie

well I always try and crack the ice with " We paid nothing for this cruise..

in fact because I am part of the Stowaway family", that clears the wofflers promptly :D nice big table for two all ours ;)

Stevie

I never bragged on the last cruise I promise. I agree once on holiday you should say nothing however before you go and on this forum we can discuss without offending each other hopefully so yes I have paid a fair old price for our special trip in february but have just been on thomson to look at prices for next august on the dream and its looking at £1000 each for a week so think i will be holding back again and just paying the bar bill instead of getting free all inclusive. But of course will not let on once on board but in the meanwhile i may be watching price trends and phoning cruise deals again like last time.Am a bit gobsmacked at the prices at the moment looks like i could need to get a third job!!!

I never bragged on the last cruise I promise. I agree once on holiday you should say nothing however before you go and on this forum we can discuss without offending each other hopefully so yes I have paid a fair old price for our special trip in february but have just been on thomson to look at prices for next august on the dream and its looking at £1000 each for a week so think i will be holding back again and just paying the bar bill instead of getting free all inclusive. But of course will not let on once on board but in the meanwhile i may be watching price trends and phoning cruise deals again like last time.Am a bit gobsmacked at the prices at the moment looks like i could need to get a third job!!!

Yes - I'm staggered by the current prices too infoqueen! :eek: I've always thought we've paid a fair price for our cruises with Thomson (even when we've paid at the higher end of the pricing range) when I take into account such things as on-board prices, convenience, local departures, organisation for transfers to airport abroad etc., and been conscious that other cruise-lines with their tipping policies, drinks and excursions costs, poorer entertainment, fewer ports of call perhaps don't represent the bargains that they might first appear to be (given our priorities for a cruise).

However at the moment Thomson's prices are really in a league I've never seen before and really don't compare too well with what else is out there! We'll have to see how it goes, and like you I'm watching the trends.

Don't worry about telling US what a bargain you've got though if you see one - that's what the forum is for - we WANT TO KNOW! :D:D:D Especially if it's a good price - I might see you on board!!!!!! ;)

We book early (year before) for AI, choice of cabin etc.

Also it gives us a chance to pay it off monthly, which Thomson allows. That way we don't have that big amount 8 weeks before.

Currently looking at the Dream for October 2012. Trying to persuade my wife to let me book it.

well I always try and crack the ice with " We paid nothing for this cruise..

in fact because I am part of the Stowaway family", that clears the wofflers promptly :D nice big table for two all ours ;)

Stevie

I like that idea !!

Archived