Tango in B.A.

travelfreelasvegas

The tango supper clubs are all oriented towards tourists who are willing to pay over $120-200 and more for a show and a steak. Some of these shows are better than others and at some you may pass on the dinner and just buy the show. Getting good reviews are Tango Roja in the Faena hotel, Esquina de Carlos Gardel, Madero Tango, MichaelAngelo's, El Viejo Almacen and some others. However the Luis Borges Cultural Center located in Gallery Pacifico has good tango shows most nights and the prices are geared more for the local consumption - $25 top ticket price. There is also a lower priced scaled down show at Cafe Tortoni.

If you do decide you want to attend one of these glitzier shows , I suggest passing on the dinner and opting just for the show with maybe a drink option. The fixed price meals, usually steaks with an alternative selection, are not bad at some venues, but you can do a lot better at a local restaurant and then make the 10:30 opening curtain at the shows.

• 1 month later...

What do you want to see? Do you want to learn how to dance it? I was disappointed in the "tango show" I went to (sort of a Vegas variety show with tango dancers as well as singers, etc.) , but it was my own fault, letting a hotel clerk steer me there. I think there are some tango schools that you can visit, though their hours are more limited than for the glitzy clubs. Some guide books, such as the Lonely Planet and Rough Guide, should have details, with traveler's reviews.

• 3 weeks later...
What do you want to see? Do you want to learn how to dance it? I was disappointed in the "tango show" I went to (sort of a Vegas variety show with tango dancers as well as singers, etc.) , but it was my own fault, letting a hotel clerk steer me there. I think there are some tango schools that you can visit, though their hours are more limited than for the glitzy clubs. Some guide books, such as the Lonely Planet and Rough Guide, should have details, with traveler's reviews.

Just wanted to some local tango dancers...

Archived