Plus Size Formal Help Needed

jhofer

Drapers and Damon's can be expensive, but if you hit their sales, you can get nice quality for very reasonable prices. I wear black velvet pants and just alternate tops, usually kimono type tops. Packs easily and looks great!

Thank you for this post. I used to shop from Drapers and Damon's when they were even higher quality and then I stopped getting their catalogs. I thought they went out of business.

I also totally fogot about Brownstone. I gather from the Drapers site they are now connected.... or maybe they always were?

Anyway, thank you. :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have spent the last three months browsing all the local stores (Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, JCPenneys, Macy's, Dillards, Belks, Kohls and even the consignment shops) looking for something that seemed young enough looking for me but was also a great price and in my size.

I did just win this beauty on eBay for $22! I'm so excited. Just hope it fits properly. The listed measurements should work but you never know. I figured for $22, I could pay the extra for alterations if needed. I'm so excited. Got it from ebay seller ever-pretty. They have dresses up to a size 3XL.

HE09107BL-M.jpg

This is very pretty. In fact, it's a much prettier version of the dress Kyle Richards is wearing to the Emmys tonight.

I didn't read the whole thread but if it hasn't already been suggested I would check your local consignment and thrift shops for deals. I have problems finding clothes small enough in "regular" stores oftentimes as your average case of a style is packed with more of the mid sizes than the smallest and biggest sizes. I've recently had much more luck with consignment and thrift stores than the mall because it seems like people of all sizes tend to donate/ consign pretty equally.

If you're not into second hand duds, there was a time when I was plus sized and I always found Torrid to be a good bet for deals but (and I have no clue of your age) I find them to cater to the 20- early 30 something set. They are, after all, Hot Topic's sister store.

Hope that helps.

Edited by JulieRose

• 1 year later...
Celticgirl, What do you mean about spamming? I love the blue dress she found on ebay, I wonder if she did lose a few pounds and was able to wear it.

Unless she decides to come back here and answer, we'll never know. Looking at her post history, she's been on the cruise (in September of 2011) and has not been on the boards since October, 2011.

You neve know, though, some people only go on cruises every few years, she could come back here eventually.

I don't know anything about spamming. I do know that many people on CC will others to do a search for a question...instead of just giving them an answer. Hence, old threads pop up from time to time.

Edited by Happy ks

Our lady complaining about the dress company in China posted here also hence the spamming comment but her post has been removed by the moderators as the thread was so old it was't relevant.

She just pulled up a few old threads, some from 2009/2011 and posted the same thing about the dress company in China. All of her posts since joining were the same post content and that is a form of spam.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Our lady complaining about the dress company in China posted here also hence the spamming comment but her post has been removed by the moderators as the thread was so old it was't relevant.

She just pulled up a few old threads, some from 2009/2011 and posted the same thing about the dress company in China. All of her posts since joining were the same post content and that is a form of spam.

Oh, Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Well I'm back planning another cruise.... shocked to see that this old thread had some activity.

Yes, we only get to cruise every so many years. Also since the 2011 cruise, I have had a baby who is now 19 months old. So that put us out of commission for a while. ;)

To answer the question about the blue dress.... No. I never did lose enough weight to fit it. I actually just recently gifted it out as it has been sitting in my closet this whole time.