No cruises out of NYC anymore?

Dardreamer

It does look like a higher price point on those ships than I recall seeing for Princess however..
Indeed high, I just paid for it....it was a 7 day sailing to Bermuda. I think if Princess began 7 day sailings from NY to Bermuda that too will probably have even higher premium fares vs. the 9 day Caribbean itineraries. I hope this becomes a reality with the new Royal Princess.;):)

I just got off the CB Princess yesterday, the last out of NYC. Trust me, not going out of NY in the summer is a good thing and the crew are probably thrilled!! Not one of my better cruise decisions.

Surpised you said that.

I have sailed out of NY five times.

Would jump on the opportunity again....That's if Princess continued sailing out of NY.

The flip side is that the extra inventory could reduce the price point for both Princess AND Celebrity..

Indeed high, I just paid for it....it was a 7 day sailing to Bermuda. I think if Princess began 7 day sailings from NY to Bermuda that too will probably have even higher premium fares vs. the 9 day Caribbean itineraries. I hope this becomes a reality with the new Royal Princess.;):)

To a degree is the key point. It's not only Princess makes money but how much. If they think they can make $100 per berth per sailing in the med, lets say versus $80 per berth out of NY, to the med they go...There's also repositioning factors, demographics, number of total available ships. Of the major cruise lines, I am pretty sure Princess operates one of the lowest ship counts. This means the other lines can cover wider nets, in fact they have to make sure they don't overload one market and hurt themselves (right now I think Princess has 13 ships, RC has 22 or 23..) Celebrity is the smallest with 10, which is why the Silhouette isn't staying up there too long.

Disney charges a much higher price point and is still trying to break into new markets, so they have different goals.

Other lines will note and respond to the lower inventory and possible move into the market as noted

FYI... Princess has 16 ships vs. RCI's 22 ships.

Yeah the site I used appears not to be so accurate, on review they are missing the Emerald and Golden from their list at least... That said, I also would consider the Oasis and Allure as 2 each based on capacity (overall capacity wise, RCL seems to kick most everyone's tail)...

Carnival Corporation is the largest cruise vacation group in the world, with a portfolio of cruise brands in North America, Europe, Australia and Asia, comprised of Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Seabourn, AIDA Cruises, Costa Cruises, Cunard, Ibero Cruises, P&O Cruises (UK) and P&O Cruises (Australia).

Together, these brands operate 101 ships

Royal Caribbean operates under 5 different fully owned brands. The Royal Caribbean International's sister lines are: Celebrity, Pullmantur, Azamara, and CDF (Croisieres de France), plus a 50% stake in TUI Cruises

Together, these brands operate 42 ships

Is it true Princess will no longer sail out of NYC or Bayonne - I cannot believe this!!

So many self believing "experts" on here....In any event, with the usual 9 day intinerary from NY (uh oh, better say "Brooklyn" to be precise) we have booked the similar 9 day on RCI Explorer of the Seas for summer 2012(out of Bayonne of course). We loved the 9 day CB during summer of 2009 and were looking forward to repeating in in 2012. In our opinion, food quality is slightly lower on RCI but otherwise, the Explorer of the Seas will be the next best substitute for us. I did call Princess to voice a complaint for all its worth and I was told to wait and see what happens for 2013. We've been on the 8 day Carnival Legend NY itinerary twice, now essentially taken over by the Miracle. The Legend at least, paled in comparison to the CB and the RCI Voyager of the Seas 9 day which we took in 2004, now taken over by the Explorer of the Seas. Bottom line, we too wish to protest Princess pulling out of NY for the most part in summer, 2012.

FYI, cruise history:

Home Lines Oceanic, 1985

RCI Enchantment, 2001

Carnival Legend, 2003

RCI Voyager, 2004

Carnival Legend, 2005

Princess CB 2009

As for now' date=' Cunard and Princess have preferential rights to berth at the BCT in New York, as stated in the lease agreement till 2017.

Caribbean Princess was built exclusively to sail her namesake - the Caribbean.

It should remain doing so.

[/quote']

Maybe so, but by that logic, the Pacific Princess should never leave the Pacific Ocean... :p

As others have stated, Princess can and will deploy their ships where they think they'll make the most money. As some financial sources have revealed, European cruises are soft this season, so Princess will be rethinking their strategy. But I do believe you'll see Princess back in New York with voyages to the Caribbean in 2013.

Maybe so, but by that logic, the Pacific Princess should never leave the Pacific Ocean... :p

As others have stated, Princess can and will deploy their ships where they think they'll make the most money. As some financial sources have revealed, European cruises are soft this season, so Princess will be rethinking their strategy. But

I do believe you'll see Princess back in New York with voyages to the Caribbean in 2013.

I, as well as several friends, sure hope so.

What they can do is change up the itinerary a bit.

Instead of sailing to the same old ports - San Juan, Grand Turk, Bermuda, and St Thomas.

They can cruise to St Martin, Princess Cays. St Kitts, St Croix, just to name a few.

Then they can leave the Royal Princess in Europe. ;)

I' date=' as well as several friends, sure hope so.

What they can do is change up the itinerary a bit.

Instead of sailing to the same old ports - San Juan, Grand Turk, Bermuda, and St Thomas.

They can cruise to St Martin, Princess Cays. St Kitts, St Croix, just to name a few.

Then they can leave the Royal Princess in Europe. ;)[/quote']

Absolutely! If they changed up the itinerary a bit, I would think they'd have much more interest in the voyages from NYC.

Absolutely! If they changed up the itinerary a bit, I would think they'd have much more interest in the voyages from NYC.

Could not agree more. I love St. Thomas and Bermuda and they are my favorite two islands, been to both many, many times. But I have not sailed out of NY (BCT) since 2006 because Princess has not changed the NY Caribbean itinerary. I did sail into NY in May this year on the CB repo cruise, but again...because I liked the itinerary and it was different than the 9 day NY sailings.

Hopefully Princess will be back in NY in 2013, with a new itinerary as well for the Caribbean. Being in New England, it's so nice to be able to drive to port rather than flying. I'd rather spend $$ while on the cruise than on the flight getting there.

I have to think that the cruises from NY and the Northeast (Boston) are profitable to some degree.

RCCL continues to offer 5 and 9 day cruises from NJ to Bermuda and the Caribbean for next summer.

NCL offers 7 day Bermuda trips from both Boston and NY on a weekly basis AND has added one more ship to do a Bahama/Florida itinerary for next summer as well from NY.

Carnival has announced that it will offer sailings year round from NY.

And the latest was Disney announcing that one of their ships will be offering sailings from NY next summer as well.

Just saying.....

Just watched your videos - beautiful cruise, beautiful family. I really enjoyed seeing the CD Andre Schlemmer. We had him in May up to NE/CAN - him and his sidekick johnny were hysterical. Thanks for the great videos.

Could not agree more. I love St. Thomas and Bermuda and they are my favorite two islands, been to both many, many times. But I have not sailed out of NY (BCT) since 2006 because Princess has not changed the NY Caribbean itinerary. I did sail into NY in May this year on the CB repo cruise, but again...because I liked the itinerary and it was different than the 9 day NY sailings.

Hopefully Princess will be back in NY in 2013, with a new itinerary as well for the Caribbean. Being in New England, it's so nice to be able to drive to port rather than flying. I'd rather spend $$ while on the cruise than on the flight getting there.

I agree about the driving vs flying.

You have to factor in at least one day extra from your vacation when flying is involved. Plus hotel expenses.

Driving you can board ASAP. :D

Plus you don't have to worry about luggage fees. ;)

Since I live in the northeast, it's very convenient for me to drive to the New England states.

I rather spend my money on a cruise sailing out of NY to the Caribbean.

But I think it's come that time that we have to fly to FLA or SJ. :(

No way getting around it. :cool: And on a different cruise line no less. :(

Unless Princess is listen ;) and reading these posts and will increase the number of sailings of of NY for 2013.

Otherwise I might have to return my future cruise credit and apply it towards a different cruise line.

Just watched your videos - beautiful cruise, beautiful family. I really enjoyed seeing the CD Andre Schlemmer. We had him in May up to NE/CAN - him and his sidekick johnny were hysterical. Thanks for the great videos.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

And I really hope that Princess reconsiders their decision and returns to the northeast...Boston would be even better for us! ;)

Princess has made the choice to abandon Brooklyn so we must now make the choice to abandon Princess for another cruise line. They will eventually get the message.

Sailing out of New York is a great option for the millions of cruisers living in the east coast area.

Can sail to Canada, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

Most American cruisers are looking for the best bang for their buck when it comes to booking a vacation.

They are not booking expensive international or long-haul domestic flights to get to a cruise, but are looking into nearby homeports instead.

You would think Princess would remain in the Northeast area to keep up with the competition amongst the other cruise lines.

Carnival, RC, NCL, Cunrad, Celebrity

There are still lots of better options out of NYC, just change cruise lines. The best thing about this is that you don't have to go to brooklyn any more, it is a pit!

Really?, I'm from central coastal NJ, about 1 1/2 hrs by car from the Brooklyn Pier and having it available for a qulaity cruiseline like princess has been a wonderful convenience. Gonna miss it, it may be a dump, but it's our dump.

And btw, what US northeast port isn't a dump?

Sailing out of New York is a great option for the millions of cruisers living in the east coast area.

Can sail to Canada' date=' the Caribbean and Bermuda.

Most American cruisers are looking for the best bang for their buck when it comes to booking a vacation.

They are not booking expensive international or long-haul domestic flights to get to a cruise, but are looking into nearby homeports instead. [left']

[/left]

You would think Princess would remain in the Northeast area to keep up with the competition amongst the other cruise lines.

Carnival, RC, NCL, Cunrad, Celebrity

I totally agree! We are looking into our options for a cruise next summer. The one thing that is not an option is having to fly to any port. We are considering a 7 day cruise to Bermuda. Just trying to decide if we want to leave from NY, NJ or Boston.

I totally agree! We are looking into our options for a cruise next summer. The one thing that is not an option is having to fly to any port. We are considering a 7 day cruise to Bermuda. Just trying to decide if we want to leave from NY, NJ or Boston.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing too.

Explorer of the Seas is nice since it's a 9 dayer, the rest are 7.

However, it comes with a price. :cool:

That's why we always liked sailing on Princess, a little bit cheaper. ;)

And you get better service as well. :)

NCL has a two cruises sailing to Bermuda and Bahamas.

Think I might try that line for a change. :rolleyes:

I live in NJ and the drive there was almost easier than to Brooklyn. You can throw a stone from Rt 95 to the ship and from the terminal to the parking. It took us 20 minutes total to walk off, go through customs, get our luggage and were on Rt 95 North.

Archived