Western Caribbean. Which Cruise?

My wife won a 4 or 5 night cruise at bingo on our last cruise. We are planning for Jan or Feb 2012. From RCIs book it looks like I have basicly two choices. Mexco (Different combinations; Cozumel, Costa Maya or Belize) or Hati and Jamaica.

Anyone been on these cuises? I would be interested what you have to say about the ports of call. If lucky enough, maybe some one has been on both.

Mexico ships: Liberty of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas

Jamaca: Liberty of the Seas

Mexico concerns: I don't speak a lick of Spanish. Would this be a problem?

Hati/Jamaica: Concerned about the troubles in Hati. Should I be?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also coments on the different ships Thank you.

Jamaica stay away not safe I won't get off ship there

Cozumel- they all speak english what are your interests maybe I can give you better answer knowing your interests

Labadee/Haiti- private out island, just beach and sun not the entire island of haiti just island off of it

Belitz do not leave the ship on your own stay with tour/ship

LOS great ship love her going on her sister ship in three weeks

Jamaica stay away not safe I won't get off ship there

Cozumel- they all speak english what are your interests maybe I can give you better answer knowing your interests

Labadee/Haiti- private out island, just beach and sun not the entire island of haiti just island off of it

Belitz do not leave the ship on your own stay with tour/ship

LOS great ship love her going on her sister ship in three weeks

Thanks. Intrests are mainly sightseeing shopping and history.

It is cold here in Jan. and Feb. Last year it was brutal. Looking at an escape from the cold. We are older and not much into the beach scene. Shopping for my wife and history for me.

You can't go wrong on any of those ships. Jewel and Radiance are "sisters" - they are smaller ships (relatively speaking, as they are still large, just not quite as large as some others) and are very elegantly appointed with lots of glass giving lovely sea views. Liberty is huge, with all the activities and amenities you can think of.

You don't need to speak Spanish - everyone speaks English.

Labadee is RCI's private beach on a secluded peninsula totally isolated from the rest of Haiti. It is very scenic and one of my favorite ports in the Caribbean.

In Jamaica, take a ship's excursion.

You can't go wrong on any of those ships. Jewel and Radiance are "sisters" - they are smaller ships (relatively speaking, as they are still large, just not quite as large as some others) and are very elegantly appointed with lots of glass giving lovely sea views. Liberty is huge, with all the activities and amenities you can think of.

You don't need to speak Spanish - everyone speaks English.

Labadee is RCI's private beach on a secluded peninsula totally isolated from the rest of Haiti. It is very scenic and one of my favorite ports in the Caribbean.

In Jamaica, take a ship's excursion.

Thanks, We have taken 2 cruises, both on the Majesty. I didn't see Majesty on your listing, but maybe someone else can chime in on the Majesty versus the ships you mentioned.

With what you said, I will be leaning towards Liberty to experience a larger ship.

We have done jamaica on occasion and doing it again in a few weeks. This time, Falmouth. We have a private tour guide (can find many on these boards which come recommended) who will take us where we want for the day. Splitting the cost with others from our sailing, so small group and reputable guide.

labadee is a great beach day with water excursions and lots of other fun activities (small down the mountain roller coaster, great zip line) you will enjoy this if you like the beach.

Belize = snorkel, scuba, excursions

Cozumel - beaches, shopping, national parks

I recommend you look at the PORTS boards for specifics on what you can do in each. For a shorter cruise, I would love to try the Radiance class ships.

Thanks. Intrests are mainly sightseeing shopping and history.

It is cold here in Jan. and Feb. Last year it was brutal. Looking at an escape from the cold.

We are older and not much into the beach scene. Shopping for my wife and history for me.

Ditto: Not beach people anymore. We book at the chance of exploring Mayan ruins.

Mayan history is interesting.

In Belize, I sign up for Xunantunich ruins tour with RCI. It is awesome.

Some great fun climbing. I wouldn't walk around town; just take the ship's bus

tour. Great way to see the country side. Full day with tasty lunch.

Coz, you can do Tulum, ship's tour, scenic. Nice at least once.

Shopping on your own around the 'main square' is also only

a $7, or so, cab ride from ship. English prevalent there.

Costa Maya for history... Chocchoben ruins nice, not too much climbing.

These Mayan trips are all far from ship. Advise booking with cruise line.

They will wait for you if flat tire or something.

Not much history stuff in Jamaica or Labadee.

....just some non-beach thoughts.

:cool::cool:

Labadee also has the great Haitian Market where you can find many different types

of treasures to take home. Be sure to take lots of small bills for exact change for any

of your purchases. They also have the great BBQ lunch on the island, all included at

no extra charge.

I would not suggest going to Tulum from Cozumel. It is a 45 minute ferry ride over

to the mainland, than another hour bus ride down to Tulum. This makes for a very

very long day. There is lots of great shopping in Cozumel, or rent a car and drive

around the island. A very easy drive, and only one road, so you cannot get lost. Go

at your own pace, and see the sights. Driving is on the right side of the road.

Costa Maya has some excursions that go to the Mayan Ruins for history. They also

have lots of shopping right at the port.

Falmouth we have not been to yet.

You can also use the ship as your destination, and go on the Liberty to experience what

the larger ships have to offer. Their entertainment is great. The ice shows are some of

the best shows at sea, IMHO. Enjoy the ship while most cruisers go off on the islands. Enjoy some spa time, treat yourself. (The spa is discounted during port stops). I would

prefer to go out of Fort Lauderdale as opposed to Tampa (Jewel) since it would be Jan/Feb

and the weather will be warmer from Fort Lauderdale. This from a fellow Ohioan!

I will 2nd the recommendation for the ruins in Belize and Costa Maya. Belize you can climb the ruins, Costa Maya you can not (Mexico Law does not allow). Both are beautiful and guides are very informative. Keep in mind Belize is a very poor country with very happy people. The Belize tour you also get a very tasty lunch.

Thank you for all the input. Finally had the time to look at all the offered exersions. Made up my mind it will be Tampa, Cozumel and Costa Maya aboard the Jewel or Radiance.

It won't be Radiance. She is going to Australia in September when her Alaska season is over. She is scheduled to rotate between Alaska and Australia the following year, too.

Jewel is the ship that will be doing that route this winter.

Gina

Archived