Child Control

tntortiz8809

This thread reminds me of our last cruise. The sea days were too chilly to swim in the pool, so we allowed (with close supervision) our kids to get into a hot tub that was already occupied by several other kids. One little boy was not being closely supervised and was quite obnoxious. His behavior was so bad that my kids only stayed in for 5 minutes before they were ready to get out because the misbehaving kid was getting on their nerves.

I think that most people are observant enough to realize that usually it is only a small percentage of kids that are behaving badly on cruises. I would bet that for every kid that doesn't know how to behave there are at least two or three that do....you just tend not to notice them as much.

As a footnote....I'm always amazed at how many childless people are experts on child rearing!;)

Yeah...I actually haven't been bothered too much by kids on any of my cruises (the only cruise that stands out in my mind as having irritating kids was the Disney cruise). But, I don't swim in the pools and have only used the Serenity hot tubs on our cruises w/out our kids. My kids use the Lido pool and the slide and my DH and/or I sit nearby and watch them.

But I do get bothered all the time by unruly children...so I can believe it happens on the ships. When my twins were born- my DS was 25 months old. My DH got snipped 3 months after they were born as we were in h-ll...3 babes in diapers, 3 babes crying, 3 babes...the list goes on and on. Well, when our twins were about 3 (and I could finally breathe)- I started to wish we could have a 4th and I kept wishing until about 2 years ago when I realized I couldn't tolerate little kids so much anymore(plus that was around the time we could start to leave our kids at home alone and have date nights). I have to say being around someone's ill-behaved 2 year old really confirms that I am DONE with birthing/parenting wee tots. And my DH is very happy about that.;)

Trust me, I'm with you on this one BUT the "the village" theory does not work on carnival. I sat and watched as a child was in the hot tub splashing and kicking and hitting, a woman, also in the hot tub kept telling the girl to please stop, the woman got out and had security come over and talk to the girl, the second security left, the girl started it again but this time cussed out the woman, telling her she could do what ever she f$$$ing wanted..still splashing, hitting and cussing, finally the woman grabbed the girls hand and once again told her to please stop....the mama had been watching the whole time without saying a word but the second her daughter was touched, she got security and had the woman charged with assault, the woman was detained and then put off the ship in Jamaica...no she should not have touched the child but the child was allowed to touch others? And mama did or said nothing? I stay out of the spas because of the kids anyway but this incident sealed it for me.

The only consolation to that is the knowledge that Karma is a you-know-what. Parenting like that will catch up with you every time.

That Mom is going to have her hands full and then some as that kid becomes a teen.

I'm not a parent, but unsupervised kids is one of the reasons that I don't cruise in the summer months. I don't want a 1/3 of the ship to be children.

I think that parents who don't make their children behave fall into one of two categories. They either think that this is there vacation too and they deserve a break from responsibiliy, or they think that the kids are just being kids and don't realize or don't care how annoying it can be for people like me to be around them.

I live a pretty quiet and solitary life working long hours and not being exposed to kids that are screaming and running around all the time. So even when I'm around my own family that have 4, 5 and 6 yo's I have to escape to a quiet place now and then...

I will have to say though that at least for the younger kids, Carnival is doing a great job in their Camp Carnival programs. I really haven't seen too many really out of control mobs of kids, but then I purposely avoid the main pool area.

AMEN. I try never to cruise in the summer months for exactly the same reason.

I'm always amazed on these threads how defensive some people become of their children. If your children are well behaved, then why so defensive? :rolleyes:

In the immortal words of The Bard, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

I'm only protesting the fact that some adults here think that kids shouldn't be in the hot tub even though they are allowed. Bring it up with Carnival if you want the rules changed.

Also It doesn't matter a bit to me what a group of strangers think about my child. You will never meet him and after reading some of these responses, I'm happy some of you aren't part of his village:p

The only consolation to that is the knowledge that Karma is a you-know-what. Parenting like that will catch up with you every time.

That Mom is going to have her hands full and then some as that kid becomes a teen.

Or kid will grow up just like Mom...because watching this situation, mom was acting the same way.

Trust me, I'm with you on this one BUT the "the village" theory does not work on carnival. I sat and watched as a child was in the hot tub splashing and kicking and hitting, a woman, also in the hot tub kept telling the girl to please stop, ......

, she got security and had the woman charged with assault, the woman was detained and then put off the ship in Jamaica...no she should not have touched the child but the child was allowed to touch others? And mama did or said nothing? I stay out of the spas because of the kids anyway but this incident sealed it for me.

OH Geez, & I'm not one to cuss. But that would pi$$ me the eff off!

See, that is what I can't stand, ppl like this mother in your story and some of the parents on this thread. It's like some of them have forgotten what it means to be a parent and let thier children just be raised by wolves.

Especially that one that said their child "deserves a vacation from school, mowing the lawn and helping gma" LOL! Ridiculous.

I see too many ppl want to be their child's friend and not their parent.

If I were in the hot tub...and there was obviously unsupervised child causing a problem....I would take him by the hand and bring him to "the desk".

If mom came out of nowhere....all upset...and calling me a kidnapper....I would tell her that the child was abandoned, so I was bringing him to security.

On another note...I think some adults really over-react.

When my son was little (about 5) and learning to swim...he swam by an obese woman who was standing in the pool (this was a community pool for a vacation home we had). Obviously, when you swim, there is some splashing....so since she was an inanimate object....a little water splashed on her. She then made a giant splash of water on my son. He really didn't notice or care...but I did. She was informed that if she wanted to remain dry...she should remain out of the water. Otherwise, by definition...when you go in the water you have to expect to get wet.

I'm always amazed on these threads how defensive some people become of their children. If your children are well behaved, then why so defensive? :rolleyes:

In the immortal words of The Bard, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Because those ppl know their little angels are actually the unruly brats the OP was complaining about.

LOL!

Maybe you didn't see this.

Children must be accompanied in the hot tub by an adult. Diving or jumping in the hot tub and horseplay is prohibited. Kids and thier parents who break those rules are what is being complained about in this thread. And children do not have the same rights in regards to hot tubs as adults do as I can go in any hot tub on the ship without supervision and my kids cannot.

cclhottub.jpg

maybe you didn't see where i said "with restrictions". maybe you also didn't see me say i will walk in with my kids.

men are also not allowed in the ladies room, and vice versa. but neither is treated any less than a paying customer.

If I were in the hot tub...and there was obviously unsupervised child causing a problem....I would take him by the hand and bring him to "the desk".

If mom came out of nowhere....all upset...and calling me a kidnapper....I would tell her that the child was abandoned, so I was bringing him to security.

On another note...I think some adults really over-react.

and i would be the one pressing charges for you touching my child. mind your own business. and i suggest you look up the word abandoned.

Let's ban fat people from the hot tubs. They annoy me. Or smelly people from the dining room, they ruin my appetite... I am going to report all of these annoyances to Carnival security.

It's called tolerance people. Get over yourselves - have a cocktail and relax! You are no more important than a child having fun!

let's ban fat people from the hot tubs. They annoy me. Or smelly people from the dining room, they ruin my appetite... I am going to report all of these annoyances to carnival security.

It's called tolerance people. Get over yourselves - have a cocktail and relax! You are no more important than a child having fun!

loud applause!

and i would be the one pressing charges for you touching my child. mind your own business. and i suggest you look up the word abandoned.

So...you prefer your child jumps into the "too shallow" hot tub...slips...and cracks his skull open.

Watch your child...then I won't have to report him as abandoned.

From Mirriam Webster:

ABANDON suggests that the person or thing left behind is helpless or needs protection

Attention Cruisers

There will be a meeting for all fat, annoying, smelly,hungry people in the Aft Lounge in 20 minutes. Sweet smelling anorexics will not be welcome....:D

I don't know how anorexics smell , but if any Bulimics plan on coming pop a freakin Altoid huh ??????????

So...you prefer your child jumps into the "too shallow" hot tub...slips...and cracks his skull open.

Watch your child...then I won't have to report him as abandoned.

From Mirriam Webster:

ABANDON suggests that the person or thing left behind is helpless or needs protection

you creating senarios? why would you even think this is going to happen?

and as you can see, your definition doesn't fit your senario.

again, mind your business.

I did not start this thread as an anti-children post. I absolutely adore my children. Kids are kids and they are going to act a certain way...I get it and I deal with it on a daily basis....I'm not saying your kids should not have fun on their vacation and I'm not singling out anyone specific person's children....

My issue is with the parents who believe their kids can do no wrong and allow them to act like children do without trying to teach them respect for others and enforce positive behavior...

with that said, as posted above, I'm insanely excited about our cruise and am excited for DW's first experience....I'll enjoy it no matter what...I just have a problem with parents not actually parenting whether it's on a cruise ship or in society in general....children seem to lack respect, consideration, manners and discipline these days....and this is coming from someone in their 30's.

First, I can't tell you how much I appreciate hearing from a parent who teaches their children to respect others.

The problem, IMHO, is that some parents don't respect others and have no intentions of teaching their children too. I was once in a situation where a parent was acting rude toward me and their probably fourteen year old child, apologized for the parent's behavior. I felt sorry for the child.

I'm only protesting the fact that some adults here think that kids shouldn't be in the hot tub even though they are allowed. Bring it up with Carnival if you want the rules changed.

Also It doesn't matter a bit to me what a group of strangers think about my child. You will never meet him and after reading some of these responses, I'm happy some of you aren't part of his village:p

Children are allowed in the hot tub...What part of "Children are not allowed without adult supervision do you not understand"....If you are in with your juvenile children there should be no "problems"......Dennis

you creating senarios? why would you even think this is going to happen?

and as you can see, your definition doesn't fit your senario.

again, mind your business.

Why are you so defensive? If your child is in the hot tub...not doing anything wrong....I wouldn't even notice him.

If he disturbs me...then it is my business.

Why are you so defensive? If your child is in the hot tub...not doing anything wrong....I wouldn't even notice him.

If he disturbs me...then it is my business.

and would you do it to an adult that was disturbing you? take him by the hand to the service desk?

i think not.

the action you are describing is a bully.

Archived