Excursion Budapest to Prague

MoneyGuy

Our river cruise ends in Budapest. We've looked at a post-cruise ship excursion from Budapest to Prague but may prefer to book it on our own.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tour company that can take us or at least transport us between the cities or should we book all the parts, transport, hotel, meals and a city tour in Prague, on our own? Viking will charge us $700 per person but we'd prefer train over a bus and don't like the usual hotel, the Prague Hilton. I don't know if Viking uses buses, but I'm assuming they do. If we could book individually within $750 per person or so we might book this separately, assuming we can change our return flight after the trip is over.

Advice appreciated.

It's very simple to do this on your own, and Prague is inexpensive. We did this after our Avalon cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest in May of this year and it was easy.

You can either take a train from Budapest, leaving around 9:30 and getting there in the afternoon, or fly in 1 hour from Budapest airport on Czech Air (book a RT flight if you aren't going to use mileage because it's cheaper). I booked it online before we left the USA.

Use TripAdvisor.com to find a place to stay - there are dozens of hotels in Prague that are very reasonable - we stayed at Arcadia Residence but whether you can get a booking depends on when you are going - they are very popular. Prague has plenty of short day tours available, including Segway tours (which we LOVED), and it is very easy to walk around and see things on your own with a good guide book - it's all very centrally located. Food is inexpensive except right in the middle of the old city at the tourist traps.

I think the post-cruise trips arranged by the cruise lines are way too expensive. Assuming you have no other reasons to need to be with a tour guide on the entire trip, you can do it on your own. And, I'll bet you'll find people on your cruise who will be doing the same thing - we did!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Prague and have to agree that the Old Town Hilton leaves something to be desired. We stayed at the Santini Residence at Malestranske Square. It is right next to the Italian Embassy and across the street from the Romanian Embassy. The trams are very close at the square and about a quarter mile from the Charles Bridge. The Santini was fantastic. We had a huge suite with painted beam ceilings and nice furnishings. Very helpful staff. Highly rated by Tripadvisor. Getting around Europe is very easy by train or plane so gtting to Prague shouldn't be difficult.

Prague is a beautiful city and fun to walk around. You don't need to arrange tours ahead since there are tons of options. Our tour was provided by Ama and served to orient us. We did an additional tour with my wife's brother who arrived separately and we did a tour with I believe Premiat tours which included a bus, walking and short river cruise which was well done. English was spoken everywhere you would want to go. Enjoy this fascinating city.

Hi!

Going from Budapest to Prague by train is very easy and not expensive. But, please be aware, that a lot of thiefs are doing a great job. That time, few years ago, I worked as a guide and although I warned everybody it happened that passports and money has been stolen while entering the train - both ways, in Budapest and in Prague. Plus, there usually is NO aircondition in the train. So you might want to fly. There are kind of shuttle busses in both cities that go to different hotels. Safer than cabs!!

Look for a good and safe hotel, it should at least hafe a safe in your room in Prague. Don Giovanni is a little outside but above a subway and brings you fast to the city center.

Don't mean to scare you- just be careful , then it is easy to do it on your own!! If you want to fly and have a reservation for a hotel ask your hotel to send a cab, might be more expensive but again: safer!!

Enjoy your trip!

Archived