Bar Harbor: Anyting Like Joe's Crab Shack??

kicker

Obviously I can expect great lobster in Maine, but my question:

We recently ate at a Joe's Crab Shack. They offer steam pots (generally lobster or crab steamed with sausage, corn on the cob, potatoes, clams). Looking at Bar Harbor restaurants I see Lobster Bakes, but it doesn't sound the same.

If anyone is familiar with Joe's, and familiar with Bar Harbor - is there any place in Bar Harbor to find a similar meal?

PS: I'm not a lobster fan (DW is), so I'd be more interested in crab, but any answers will be appreciated. Thanks.

No, nothing like Joes. There aren't really any chains there. There are plenty of ACTUAL crab shacks, and whatever you get in the way of a lobster bake will be WAY more authentic than Joe's.

We don't have any large, opie/king type spider crabs. Ours are more like blue crab. Sand (peekytoe) are very tasty. They don't serve them in tourist spots very often because most people want lobster, but if not whole you can certainly find the picked meat in crab rolls, crab sandwiches, etc.

Thanks for the answer, but I have to defend Joe's :p. Growing up we had a local place that served steamed baskets with everything I described - that was 30 years ago. I also caught King Crab in Alaska, and, honestly, the meal I had at Joe's was as good as what I used to get.

I will agree that most chains are just that - chains. And I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever I have in Bar Harbor, just wish I could find something like what I had at Joe's.

Thanks for the answer, but I have to defend Joe's :p. Growing up we had a local place that served steamed baskets with everything I described - that was 30 years ago. I also caught King Crab in Alaska, and, honestly, the meal I had at Joe's was as good as what I used to get.

I will agree that most chains are just that - chains. And I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever I have in Bar Harbor, just wish I could find something like what I had at Joe's.

Oh, I have no problem with Joes. There are just really no chains at all in BH. It's just not that kind of town, tough to explain, 'quaint' would be the word I guess. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you find there!

Hi, I have the choice of joining one of them. I was wondering if anyone

can give me feedback of one versus the other. or are they pretty much

the same . Seems like both of them go to Cadillac Mountain, so I really

do not know the differnec.

thanks

Oh, I have no problem with Joes. There are just really no chains at all in BH. It's just not that kind of town, tough to explain, 'quaint' would be the word I guess. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you find there!

As a Maine resident, I'm compelled to comment. A Maine lobster bake isn't the same as what you'll find at Joe's but it will be an authentic Maine lobster meal. Also, lobster is a messy meal so an outdoor dining setting is peferable to an indoor restaurant. As another poster mentioned, crab in Maine is quite different than in other areas and is rarely steamed or served as a stand-alone entre. Our crabs are just to small :) But...while they're small, they're super-tasty so you'll want to sample a crab roll while you're in town.

Enjoy your visit to Maine!

Archived