Taxi touring....

USAF2180

Was wondering if anyone has recently just taken a taxi and just gone around. There hasn't been any excursions that I've like on this island, so we've been thinking about just getting off the boat and grabbing a cab. If anyone has done this recently, let me know how much it was and what you did, or any recommendations you may have. Thanks

My wife and I are spending a few days in Barbados before and after our cruise and are aslo thinking about doing this one day to get a good view of the Island.

If anyone has done this can you please provide details of the company you used for it and any approximate charges.

Sorry to OP for asking this, hope you dont mind;)

Cheers

John

My wife and I are spending a few days in Barbados before and after our cruise and are aslo thinking about doing this one day to get a good view of the Island.

If anyone has done this can you please provide details of the company you used for it and any approximate charges.

Sorry to OP for asking this, hope you dont mind;)

Cheers

John

not at all:)

We did that. We just found a taxi driver and negotiated a price based on where we wanted to go and time. (I think we did 3 or 4 hours, and I think it was $90. (Sorry, it's been awhile - Jan. 2010). It was awesome, like a private custom tour for just the 2 of us. He asked if we wanted to stop for photos ops here and there (yes, please!) and described all the areas we passed through. We went to the Crane hotel and walked through, checked out the beach, then drove on to Bottom Bay beach, as I'd seen photos and really wanted to check it out too. Then he drove us back a different way through the countryside and dropped us at Accra/Rockley to spend the afternoon. We then found another taxi to get back to the ship. It was exactly what WE wanted.

Our driver's name was Wayne - 1246-259-4715 if you want to reach him and negotiate a tour ahead of time. He was such a pleasant and knowledgeable middle aged ...ok, maybe older, gentleman. We can highly recommend him, and doing your own private tour.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112909778478762185959/SouthernCaribbeanCruiseJan2010#slideshow/5640432652322703378

Many thanks for the info and for sight of your photographs, they are awesome.

I notice you are from Vancouver, my wife and I visited there a few years back and had a great time cycling round Stanley Park.

Thanks once again.

John

We did that. We just found a taxi driver and negotiated a price based on where we wanted to go and time. (I think we did 3 or 4 hours, and I think it was $90. (Sorry, it's been awhile - Jan. 2010). It was awesome, like a private custom tour for just the 2 of us. He asked if we wanted to stop for photos ops here and there (yes, please!) and described all the areas we passed through. We went to the Crane hotel and walked through, checked out the beach, then drove on to Bottom Bay beach, as I'd seen photos and really wanted to check it out too. Then he drove us back a different way through the countryside and dropped us at Accra/Rockley to spend the afternoon. We then found another taxi to get back to the ship. It was exactly what WE wanted.

Our driver's name was Wayne - 1246-259-4715 if you want to reach him and negotiate a tour ahead of time. He was such a pleasant and knowledgeable middle aged ...ok, maybe older, gentleman. We can highly recommend him, and doing your own private tour.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112909778478762185959/SouthernCaribbeanCruiseJan2010#slideshow/5640432652322703378

Soooo enjoyed looking at your pictures.....and love the ones of the monkeys and their snacks!

Glad you all enjoyed the photos :) Barbados is something to get excited about!

I had to stop and think though... Monkies? What monkies? You mean Quatchi and Mukmuk, the stuffed guys? They were the Vancouver 2010 Olympics mascots. We went on the cruise just before the Olympics, so we thought we'd take them along.

We walked into town and took a mini-bus tour with about 12 people for $15 each. Just as you cross the floating bridge are people selling tours. We stopped several places for photos. On our own we did a walking tour of Willemstad. It is a UNESCO Heritage site and is very easy to get around.

We walked into town and took a mini-bus tour with about 12 people for $15 each. Just as you cross the floating bridge are people selling tours. We stopped several places for photos. On our own we did a walking tour of Willemstad. It is a UNESCO Heritage site and is very easy to get around.

That is Curacao you're talking about but this forum, and the question was for Barbados.

• 5 weeks later...

We booked a tour with Cameron Reid but missed him at the pier. We took another Taxi for all day at about $30 per hour. We saw the entire island, including the north coast along the Atlantic, except Harrison Cave, which I really wanted. Checkout Mr. Reid, he was very prompt in his emailing. Otherwise, the taxi stand is right out side the dock.

Thanks for posting--anyone who has a tour with Wayne please post here more info on their experience. I was looking at also doing cave tour and see if can book on our own.

SUNSEEKER09

Thanks ever so much for posting your piccies - really enjoyed looking at them :D. Quick question - what's the beach on Day 4 in Barbados? Looks beautiful. We're there for a day next April and are trying to decide where to go. Is it Accra or Crane beach? How far is it from the Port?

Thanks.

We found a driver, negotiated a reasonable price - I think $40 to $50 for 4 hours. We said that we would like to see the island, eat flying fish and be dropped off at a beach at tour's end. What we ended up with was a tour of upscale resorts where we would run in, take a brochure and a photo and move on. It was a resort highlight tour more than an island tour, but hey we were in the Caribbean and taking the long way to a beach afternoon. We did get flying fish for lunch. We just smile when we think back to that day and know we will be more specific when asking for what we want in the future!

Taxi tours that just take you to resorts are cheap because the resorts compensate the cabbies for bringing you there.

See Crane and peek at Sandy (resorts), but otherwise just see the island and it's attractions.

A normal, everyday taxi tour should be US$25/hr for up to four (4) in the cab.

They will take you anywhere on the island for that price.

We found a cab driver named Hendy Henderson, who had a nice Island wide tour that took about 3-4 hours and saw a lot of neat stuff. Be sure to ask the driver to include a stop at Bathsheba, the beaches on the Atlantic side of the island. Beautiful water etched rock structures, very rustic beaches compared to the Caribbean side. Our tour cost $70 total for the 2 of us.

We have just returned from a stop in Barbados and had a wonderful experience with a taxi tour. We walked through the gate and there were several wanting our business and I told them that I would talk to each separately. One immediately stepped aside while I talked with the others and then I approached him. He asked where we wanted to go and see and then offered his taxi and said that we would need to be gone for two to three hours. We settled on a price and then took off. He took us downtown then the park and the Governors residence. Right from the beginning he asked for our camera and would take our pictures making sure that we were in position to have the scenery as part of the picture. We also went to the highlands and introduced us to the green monkeys and told us how they came to be a part of the Barbados history. We also went to Holetown and walked on the beach and went to St James church, which is the oldest on the island. Our last stop was the Mount Gay rum factory were we took our time in the tasting room and enjoyed his company and that of the Barman. We were gone for over 4 hours and were very pleased with our day. His name is Peter and his email is peteryoshman@hotmail.com. Phone is 1-246-239-1995.

• 2 weeks later...

“any information on taking a water taxi tour around the island?”

My guess is that these tours aren't readily available on Barbados.

The eastern part of the island faces the Atlantic ocean (as do all of the Caribbean islands), and it can be very rough (even Bluebeard had problems here!).

I'm sure one could find a vessel that would do an around-the-island-tour, but I am not aware of anyone doing it.

Most water tours are limited to the SW to the NW Caribbean side.

IMHO the east coast is preferable but you'll probably have to do a land taxi-tour which I highly recommend. The east coast is downright breathtaking. It is a completely different island that most day-visitors ever see.

Best wishes for a happy holiday and please come back. :) :) :)

So glad you responded. So then, we should take a land taxi tour. It seems that a lot of cruisers on the island are taking catamran tours, but I feel I would miss so much of the topgraphy of the island which appears to me to be different than the other islands.

Am I missing something by not swimming with the turtles?

Would a land tour be longer than 3 hours?

"So glad you responded. So then, we should take a land taxi tour. It seems that a lot of cruisers on the island are taking catamran tours, but I feel I would miss so much of the topgraphy of the island which appears to me to be different than the other islands

Am I missing something by not swimming with the turtles?

Would a land tour be longer than 3 hours?"

Choices are difficult when one only has eight hours, yes?

It is important to experience what compels you the most. If it's turtles, they should be at the top of your short list.

I believe that there are tours that will take you to Harrison's Cave, the east coast and swim with the turtles. Yes, the whole enchilada.

I think it may be Glory Tours but I don't keep track of those details anymore.

I believe that an organised tour may fit the bill for you. If not, a taxi tour would be correct as they would be able to set the timing for your required stops.

Barbados is a very special island with charms that few day-visitors get to experience. Most just stay on our west coast but there is so much else to offer. A tour going through the center of the island to the east coast and back through the southern route to to Paynes Bay in the west to swim with the turtles would be a great experience to accomplish in 8 hours, but it is quite doable and I encourage you to pursue it.

Have a great time! :)

Barbados - Do you have any suggestions for a short taxi tour during the morning? We are taking a turtle swim excursion through our ship that begins at 12:30, but would like to see a tiny bit of the island in the morning before we have to meet up with the group for the ship excursion. Thanks for any info!

"Barbados - Do you have any suggestions for a short taxi tour during the morning? We are taking a turtle swim excursion through our ship that begins at 12:30, but would like to see a tiny bit of the island in the morning before we have to meet up with the group for the ship excursion. Thanks for any info!"

You should have enough time to comfortably see Gun Hill Signal Station and St. George Parish Church.

The two attractions are a 15-20 minute taxi ride from Deep Water Harbour and will show you a little of our central interior. They are both interesting stops that one should see.

You may even have time to have a nice lunch at The Waterfront Cafe in Bridgetown on The Careenage (probably near where your tour meets, ask you taxi driver for a recommendation so you are not stressed for time).

If you like what you see, please come back and visit our east coast and some of the spots that beg to be seen as they are indeed unique.

I think the short tour above will fit nicely in your agenda and give you a good glimpse of our offerings.

My best wishes for a wonderful holiday and please come back and see us again. It would be our pleasure. :) :) :)

Archived