What to do in Jamaica? Specifically Falmouth, possibly Montego Bay? (Royal Caribbean)

Pichu21

What are some things to do in/near Falmouth? We are on the Freedom of the Seas in April 2012. Is Falmouth dangerous? I've heard from some people that we should just stay on the ship. Is it worth it? We're willing to go to Montego Bay, but only if it's through an excursion with RCI, in case anything happens. Ocho Rios is way to far, I checked the map. First time going to Jamaica! Help!

We just got off the FOS last month and stayed on the boat for most of the day. Did go out to the shopping for about an hour. The group we were traveling with did do the RCI excursion of zipline and river rafting. The four of them had a real good time and enjoyed. The place they did this at was an old slave house that was very educational to them and learned quite a lot. They also had a relaxing time doing the excursion. It was only a 4-5 hour total time excursion, but they thought it was good. The zipline place provided local Jamaican chicken (jerk) for lunch.

Others go to the Dunn River Falls which I hear good things as well, but that is a full day trip.

My thoughts are not to go into Falmouth city limits, it is not like Grand Cayman or Cozumel (those ports have great shopping).

We just got off the FOS last month and stayed on the boat for most of the day. Did go out to the shopping for about an hour. The group we were traveling with did do the RCI excursion of zipline and river rafting. The four of them had a real good time and enjoyed. The place they did this at was an old slave house that was very educational to them and learned quite a lot. They also had a relaxing time doing the excursion. It was only a 4-5 hour total time excursion, but they thought it was good. The zipline place provided local Jamaican chicken (jerk) for lunch.

Others go to the Dunn River Falls which I hear good things as well, but that is a full day trip.

My thoughts are not to go into Falmouth city limits, it is not like Grand Cayman or Cozumel (those ports have great shopping).

Do you know what zipline tour they did? We will be on this ship in Nov,. and there are two different zipline tours. One is at Good Hope and the other one in Montego Bay. I am wondering of the old slave house was the Good Hope Plantation. Do you know how long the drive was to get there? What might help me know which one it is. We are trying to figure out which one to do.

We did the river rafting which was pretty cool. The guy on our little raft knocked a coconut out of the trees, cut it open just a bit, stuck a straw in it and we drank fresh coconut water all the way back down to the van that picked us up. Overpriced? Yes, like all cruise ship sourced excursions. But it was fun. CAVEAT: They provide you with "bottled water" but ours was only old bottles refilled and the original cap screwed on. Not factory fresh/sealed. It was kind of funky looking and we were highly suspicious that they were just filling it from the "river". We didn't drink ours and quickly advised the others in our large party to check their bottles -- all were already opened and all of them had stuff floating in their water bottles as well.

Yeah we decided we're staying onboard while the ship is docked at Falmouth. We might get off and roam around the pier but that's about it. We definitely don't want to leave the premises of the pier. Has anyone been there already? I know it's not finished but whats there to do? What are some of the shops that are there and will be there in the future?

For those docking in Falmouth, Dunns river falls is the closest falls. Guests I brought over there all love it! Also Rafting on the Martha Brae is another suggestion.

You can check out the info of each attraction and other tours here:

http://yourjamaicantourguide.com/jamaican-attractions-rates-driving-distance-entrance-fees

Hope this helps

It's just we have excursions in all of the other ports. The zip line in Labadee, Stingray City in Grand Cayman, and Tulum Ruins in Cozumel, and they're all along that $80 mark. It's three of us and that ends up being expensive. We don't want to add yet another excursion for $80 per person. Do you know of anything, maybe a beach, anything for $30 or less, per person? I know it's a very long shot.

We did the Bamboo River Rafting Tour on the WHite River................a ship excursion. I think it was $67 ( a little pricey). But, we feel we got our money's worth, it was fun. Includes a ride down a river on a bamboo raft, poled by a Jamaican Guide, a coconut cut open for us, to drink the milk from (yummy), a fruit to eat, a foot massage (quite the experience). Then, a little talk about rums, and a free pina colada whipped up on the spot, a short tractor ride to a small banana plantation, with a little talk about bananas, and finally, a rustic but good meal of chicken, slaw, and rice and beans. We were feeling very "jamaican" by the end of the day! Still had time to shop at the pier area. If we never make it back to Jamaica again, at least we got a "feel" for the place......and we liked it!

Tip: watch the sailaway from the docked side of the ship......deck 4 is the best. They give a festive send-off to the ship. Made our day!

We did the Bamboo River Rafting Tour on the WHite River................a ship excursion. I think it was $67 ( a little pricey). But, we feel we got our money's worth, it was fun. Includes a ride down a river on a bamboo raft, poled by a Jamaican Guide, a coconut cut open for us, to drink the milk from (yummy), a fruit to eat, a foot massage (quite the experience). Then, a little talk about rums, and a free pina colada whipped up on the spot, a short tractor ride to a small banana plantation, with a little talk about bananas, and finally, a rustic but good meal of chicken, slaw, and rice and beans. We were feeling very "jamaican" by the end of the day! Still had time to shop at the pier area. If we never make it back to Jamaica again, at least we got a "feel" for the place......and we liked it!

Tip: watch the sailaway from the docked side of the ship......deck 4 is the best. They give a festive send-off to the ship. Made our day!

This tour looks great! I'll keep an eye out on it! It definitely sounds like it's worth the money, and I took note of your sail away spot! I got the perfect place in mind. The hump on deck 4 where the hallway sticks out of the ship. :D

I just have one question, how many people can go on the raft? Because it's three of us

to: pichu96............Each raft holds two people. The ship's tour was "Mountain Valley Rafting FY28".

May I say that you have chosen EXCELLENT excursions for your other ports. You are going to have a blast on this cruise!

It's just we have excursions in all of the other ports. The zip line in Labadee, Stingray City in Grand Cayman, and Tulum Ruins in Cozumel, and they're all along that $80 mark. It's three of us and that ends up being expensive. We don't want to add yet another excursion for $80 per person. Do you know of anything, maybe a beach, anything for $30 or less, per person? I know it's a very long shot.

I've read that Chukka Beach Break is pretty nice..It's suppose to be a beautiful, relaxing beach and this is booked through the cruise line. You can go with or without lunch...around $29 or $49 respectively. I've been many times to Dr's Cave Beach in MoBay. A nice private beach. $5 to get in, $15 for 2 chairs and umbrella. Don't know what the taxi ride from Falmouth costs. The taxi will take you right to the entrance and there are always plenty of taxi's waiting to take you back to the ship. Enjoy Jamaica!

What are some things to do in/near Falmouth? We are on the Freedom of the Seas in April 2012. Is Falmouth dangerous? I've heard from some people that we should just stay on the ship. Is it worth it? We're willing to go to Montego Bay, but only if it's through an excursion with RCI, in case anything happens. Ocho Rios is way to far, I checked the map. First time going to Jamaica! Help!

when in april 2012 are you going. We are on the April 1st cruise can not wait. It looks like you are doing alot of the same acitivies we are and this port is one of the ones I am having a hard time with. We are going to have a great time. I can not wait!!!!!!!!!!

when in april 2012 are you going. We are on the April 1st cruise can not wait. It looks like you are doing alot of the same acitivies we are and this port is one of the ones I am having a hard time with. We are going to have a great time. I can not wait!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly, we won't be on the same cruise. We're on the next Western trip, on the 15th. What excursions are you doing in the other islands?

Sadly, we won't be on the same cruise. We're on the next Western trip, on the 15th. What excursions are you doing in the other islands?

stingray city, I am wanting to do Tulum or Xrail & beach excursion, labadee i think we will just hang out maybe do the zipline, Falmouth still not sure.

how about you guys

Hi:

Cheap and Fun in Cozumel for your family.

Get off ship and take local taxi at pier to Paradise Beach (Look up Paradise Beach on line). You pay about $8 for the taxi total. Then $10 each for a beach chair and all water sports are included in the price (kayak, snorkel, water trampolines/iceburg). There are waiters that will bring food and drink to your chairs (you pay for food and drink, food is very good).

We have done this 3 times becuase of the excursion cost are so high. The owner is a Canadian who took his family there and started this business. He walks around and visits with the guest, great place.

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

Just wondering if you could tell me why this particular rafting excursion has a max weight of 180 and the others is 300. Was there something particularly different about this one? Thanks.

cruised with CCL in the past with a stop in Jamaica. Absolutely loved it! Did book tour with cruiseline for Dunn's River Falls and Dolphin Cove. Overpriced? Sure but all excursions thru cruiselines are. Would I recommend booking outside of cruiseline? No experience with that on this particular island but I probably wouldn't anyways. The excursion itself was great, be wary of buying the bottled water - overpriced!! Bring your own from the ship is what we did and good thing!

Had to purchase lunch at Dolphin Cove (again overpriced but good), didn't swim with the dolphins but watched the ppl who paid $$ to touch them and the kids didn't seem to mind not being able to get any closer.

Before going back on the ship, we did walk around close to the pier on our own, went to a little "market" but didn't much care for it; as with most islands that rely on tourism for their survival, very "in your face" sales tactics. However, all that said, yes I would go again! The island is beautiful and ppl were very friendly.

Archived