Fatima pilgrimage canceled -Lon to Bcn Insignia

jms

Just received notice that our Lisbon excursion -A Pilgrimage to Fatima has been canceled and our credit card will be credited. There were 6 of us booked on this tour. There has been no explanation. I called O and they told that it's just no longer available. I told the agent that it still appears on the list on the website.

Anyone else booked on this? It's the sep 5 Vineyards from Dover to Barcelona on Insignia, less than a month away. Very disappointing.

Just received notice that our Lisbon excursion -A Pilgrimage to Fatima has been canceled and our credit card will be credited. There were 6 of us booked on this tour. There has been no explanation. I called O and they told that it's just no longer available. I told the agent that it still appears on the list on the website.

Anyone else booked on this? It's the sep 5 Vineyards from Dover to Barcelona on Insignia, less than a month away. Very disappointing.

Unfortunately, shore excursions which are cancelled due to lack of participation is one of the bugbears of sailing on a 600 passenger ship.

The good news is that with 6 people, you can easily plan your own private tour to Fatima, probably even more economically than through the cruise line.

There are several local Portugese companies offering tours to Fatima from Lisbon:

They aren't luxury tours (think school busses), but perfectly serviceable for touring a religious shrine.

Thanks for this suggestion. We actually have a few private shore ex scheduled I am hesitant to book this particular port because the ship departs at 2:30 that afternoon. I'm hoping to find once onboard that others are looking for the same tour qso that the ship will sponsor a semi private tour. At this point we know it will cost more but some of us will not have another opportunity to see Fatima and it will be the safest way to avoid having the ship sail without us :)

Thanks for this suggestion. We actually have a few private shore ex scheduled I am hesitant to book this particular port because the ship departs at 2:30 that afternoon. I'm hoping to find once onboard that others are looking for the same tour qso that the ship will sponsor a semi private tour. At this point we know it will cost more but some of us will not have another opportunity to see Fatima and it will be the safest way to avoid having the ship sail without us :)

If you want to connect with others on your particular sailing, I would suggest that you post this on the very active Roll Call for your cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1292278&highlight=september+5

JimandStan, which tour companies are school bus quality? I am on Riviera Lisbon to Rome and was planning on a private tour to Fatima. BUT I dont want to travel via big yellow bus. None of the companies I have looked at so far say transport is via SB but then again they dont say otherwise either. Do you have particular companies in mind?I would appreciate a "heads up" on that.

-----------------

Helen

JimandStan, which tour companies are school bus quality? I am on Riviera Lisbon to Rome and was planning on a private tour to Fatima. BUT I dont want to travel via big yellow bus. None of the companies I have looked at so far say transport is via SB but then again they dont say otherwise either. Do you have particular companies in mind?I would appreciate a "heads up" on that.

-----------------

Helen

The easiest yardstick to use is that the companies with a religious affiliation are the ones that use a school bus ;)

Am I permitted to give a negative report about Fatima??? I'm not R.C.

But we had two road trips in Portugal 25 years ago and Fatima was a real disappointment. We were driving through (without intending to stop) but traffic was horrible, the vendors selling their wares were disappointing ... It was so VERY commercial.

Yes, if I were going to be in Lisbon and wanted a trip to Fatima I would recommend a private tour, no question about that. (I myself wouldn't want one but that's another issue.)

We visited a number of religious sites in Portugal so it's not that we dislike religious sites. But yes, we disliked this one.

Our route was such that I wouldn't think Fatima was do-able from Lisbon ... but we were going this way and that way. I've seen plenty of reports that you CAN do Fatima from Lisbon.

Still, I have to say as someone who LOVES Portugal, there are better ways to spend your time. That is MY opinion. I'm really not trying to change your minds.

But if you go to Alcobaca or Tomar or Batalha, you will see wonderful cathedrals and religious sites. If you can get to Coimbra (I'm not sure if you can in a day), that is spectacular as well.

I just have to reiterate that as a non-Catholic I found Fatima incredibly depressing ...

You can stay in Lisbon and go to the Jeronimos Monastery for a wonderful visit ... there are so many wonderful religious sites in Portugal.

I apologize if I'm offending anyone because that is not my intent. But for the short time you have in Lisbon on a cruise visit -- I personally think there are better ways to spend your time.

I'm not writing to slam Fatima. But....

I guess I have!

Mura

I do appreciate your input Mura. We are Catholic and did really want to see this site but I am having second thoughts because I am starting to think I would have to go much earlier than I was planning in order to see everything I want to see . Our cruise starts in Lisbon so I do have that option, but I do still work so that option comes at a price. Methinks this will require some more thought. Thanks for the info.

------------------------

Helen

Helen,

I can understand your wanting to go to Fatima in that case. I definitely think going in early and taking the time to see it on your own if you can would be better. There is so much to see in Portugal, even from Lisbon, that only one day on a cruise doesn't begin to do it justice.

Lisbon happens to be a favorite city of ours, and we did two trips to Portugal back in the mid-1980s where we drove through northern Portugal for 1-2 weeks, and then ended up with several days in Lisbon.

Taking the time (despite my biases against Fatima!) would be well advised if you HAVE the time.

Mura

Hi Mura

I know you do not remember me but we met on O's Iceland cruise a few years ago. I appreciate your input on this because we do love Portugal and the other couples going with us haven't been so I know we can find other things to do with our short time in Lisbon.

You have given me a mental picture of the trip to Fatima that is unattractive so we will search elsewhere for an excursion we'll enjoy. There is certainly no lack of cathedrals anywhere in Europe!

Thanks again.

JoAnn

My husband and I returned from Fatima this past May. We rented a car from Lisbon and drove ourselves which was an easy drive, approx 1 hour from the airport hotel where we were staying.Depending on your priorities whether based on religious convictions or curiousity, mine was both, I found going there quite fulfilling, educational and meaningful. I was overwhelmed by how enormous the "site" was, so put on your walking shoes if you decide to journey that direction!Fortunately for us, we arrived on a day that was not a major feast day, or a special day of celebration, so there was little to no traffic and we parked practically next to the entrance. It was amazing as we saw people from miles away, walking towards the shine with flowers in their arms, as they do everyday, to pay their respect. That in itself was amazing to me. I'd never seen anything like that.If you decide to go, I'd estimate we spent no more than 1 - 1 1/2 hours there, so you should have plenty of time to make it back to the ship.Hope this was helpful. Enjoy your trip!

Maybe I do! Joann and Thomas Speicher??? You're on my party list if so!

I remember real names a lot better than internet handles!

I was still hobbling around after knee surgery on that cruise so I wasn't up to doing as much as I usually do. But I loved that cruise.

It's true that there's so much to do in Portugal. It's one of our favorite places. How short is your time in Lisbon? I'm happy to make suggestions offlist if you'd like.

Mura

I see that Condocat and I had very different reactions! And it's true that DH and I aren't much into visiting "shrines".

I should emphasize that we were there in 1984 and 1985 and things may well be different now (in terms of the commerciality that bothered us so much). And we were driving THROUGH Fatima on our way someplace else both times, Fatima was not a place we were intending to visit.

Oh, another big factor -- it was August both times and the place was jam packed. We couldn't have parked as easily as Condocat did unless maybe one of us was the President of Portugal!

Mura

Yes, Mura we are the Speichers - and it was a great party! We, too, loved the Iceland cruise as it had so many out of the way islands to visit.

Our time in Lisbon is very short and I think that's why O canceled the excursion. I believe we dock at 8:30 or 9 and depart at 2:30 in the afternoon.

I think we'll probably just do Sintra or Estoril or maybe Obidos. We've both been to Lisbon before but the 2 couples traveling with us have not and they really wanted to go to Fatima. Thanks for your input.

Also - if you get any info on the Canada sailings in 2012 I'd love to hear about them. We live in Pennsylvania so Canada is a great option for us and the Halifax itinerary I just read about sounds like it would be a lot different from the NYC to Canada or r/t NYC or even the Boston to Canada cruises that the mainstream lines do. It would be a welcome change!

Happy and safe travels. I say safe because last year we were both - actually all 6 of us with our O friends being with us - were in Chile for the 8.8 earthquake on 2/27!! An experience we don't want to duplicate EVER again - an experience we didn't sign up for :) Luckily we got out alive and home within 5 days. Lots of tourists weren't so lucky with flights not happening!

Hasn't stopped us yet :)

I'm glad I had it right!

Even Sintra is difficult with so little time. We spent a whole day there the last time we went (which was on a cruise) -- as I recall the train ride is about half an hour each way, I could be wrong on that. Then the various sites to take time, although it's not required that you do everything at once! Our first visit there we spent the night and had a car, so it was easier.

Obidos would be a treat! We didn't drive straight from Lisbon when we went there so I'm no expert on the time you need, but it's not a big town. The Pousada there has a MARVELOUS restaurant -- don't know if it's open for lunch, though.

If you are museum types, one of my all time favorites is the Gulbenkian. Which you CAN do in the time you have since it is based on a private collection. The man collected everything in the world, but it's just not too large!

I haven't heard much about the Canada sailings (other than reading this morning that they seem to be up in the air in 2012). We spent a few weeks there in June with our Danish friends on a road trip -- NY to Massachusetts to Maine to Quebec. Our Quebec time was primarily in Perce and Forillon (tip of Gaspe) so we didn't see any of the cities this trip. But it was marvelous ... even when it rained!

To be in Chile at the time of the earthquake -- wow! Glad you made out okay. My cousin was just in Oslo and left two days before the madman's attacks. She had similar feelings to yours, I think.

Good hearing from you again!

Hi Mura

Thanks for the input. I think I'll lobby for Obidos. It sounded interesting when I read the ship excursion details. Now I just have to sell it to the others :)

OMG - Oslo!! I remember the Insignia docking right in town on the Insignia Iceland cruise and it was the cutest place. Now heaven knows when it will ever be normal again!

thanks again

Keep in touch

email: joann@speicher.org

J

Arriving at 8:30am and leaving at 2:30pm is a tight schedule. I was under the impression you were arriving the evening beforehand and could get a really early start on your day.Having just been to Portugal in May and driven to many these points of interests, please note that Obidos is about as far away from Lisbon as Fatima timewise, if not longer. Another option that is very closeby is Belem. It is along the Tagus River with wonderful restaurants and museums including the maritime museum, the coach museum featuring approximately 30 stage coaches used by the royal families along with other museums.Happy planning!

Don't forget the Jeronimos Monastery, also out by Belem. And you can now take the subway if you wish. It used to be by car or taxi was your only choice.

That area is wonderful, I agree. We spent our day there on our April 2010 TA on NCL (we were there 9-5). The Monastery is a wonderful example of Portugal's Manueline architecture.

By the way, if you do go out to Belem from the ship by cab I suggest you walk outside to the street and get your own cab. NCL got us a "special deal" for a cab fare -- it was only twice as much as the metered fare!

Hope I'm not complicating your life to much, Joann!

(Oh, one more suggestion for Lisbon although it's in the opposite direction from Belem -- that is the Tile Museum, one of our favorite places to see in Lisbon.)

And I already told you about the Gulbenkian.

See, LOTS of choices!!

Forgot to mention:If you visit Portugal's museums on a Sunday admission is free. I don't know what day of the week you will be there, but maybe that will work to your advantage. If not, also remember, they offer a senior 50% rate for anyone 60+.Traveled the sunbay system in Lisbon extensively. It was fast, clean, safe and highly recommend using it. The locals are very helpful in guiding you with buying tickets, etc. Enjoy exploring!

Friends did a private tour to Fatima from the Marina sailing that stopped in Lisbon in early June. They used the tour company that has been touted in previous posts and loved the experience. They said their guide was a graduate student in a classical field and treated them like personal friends. They needed a private tour because O was restricting handicapped passengers from their excursions at the time ( Jan./Feb.). Later O became "enlightened", but my friends were satisfied with their private tours and saved some bucks.

The shorter time on shore is a worry but doable. The experience is worth the trip to a within our modern day period and well authenticated religious site.

They used Tours For You, and their contact person was nuno.correia@toursforyou.pt. You may say that the Lam sisters recommended her services. The driver also was kind enough to push the wheelchair of the handicapped person. They had 6 persons in a Mercedes SUV and did Fatima in the morning and Lisbon in the afternoon. The entire group was very pleased with the tour.

We have contacted Tours for You and they have quoted a 4 to 4 1/2 hour half day tour to Fatima from the ship at a pretty good price and we also are on a waitlist for a private van through destination services on the ship.

Our deadline for a decision is this coming Monday. One way or the other we'll get to Fatima if just for a very short visit. It will be worth it to all of us who haven't been there.

We all survived the Chilean earthquake in Feb of 2010 and this is our first major vacation together since then so we have quite a bit to be thankful for.

Thanks to all of you for your input!!

Archived