Playa PortoMari?

SassyGirl

We were just there in November, '09 and the rental rate for chairs was $3. We rented a car ($65) but I believe the taxi rates are $35-$40 each way. Most taxis are vans that can fit 4 or more passengers. I don't know what it's like the rest of the year, but the weather and water were perfect when we were there--clear skies with very little wind. Plenty of fish on the 2 reefs.

grab a map. I could give you directions myself but they would not make any sense. Plan on paying to park, they do have rental chairs and showers. The showers are about a $1.00, but you still have to walk through sand to get to your vehicle. Great diving and snorkel area. Great food...and the beach is awesome. Snorkel out a little to the "clay pots" and watch a little sea life. Snorkeling is great to the left of the beach on the ridge. Give yourself time to get back to port. FYI, it may seem that you are going down the wrong road due to it being dirt and not maintained, then you will get to a paved road and you are on your way. Enjoy...not my favorite beach on the island, but it is very nice.

justmarie, driving in Curacao is fairly easy but a good map helps. We got one at caribbean-on-line.com that's about as detailed as you need. Basically, you just head West and North toward the airport/Hato Caves area and go West instead of North at the airport roundabout. You'll be on the Westpunt road and then follow that to the St Willobrodus turnoff to the left. If you look at the thread "Best place to snorkel from shore", check out post #19 for some very helpful links. The drive from the port "through town" is not difficult at all--going to the West is easy and there is little congestion. We really enjoyed Playa Porto Mari. It took us about 25 minutes to get there. When we were there in November, there was no charge for parking and although the lot wasn't paved, it was hard-surface and easy to drive/walk on. The sign at the entrance said there was supposed to be an admission charge, but it wasn't enforced. The chairs were $3 each, but don't bother trying to pay for them when you get there--a Dutch-speaking lady will come by sometime during the day to collect the fee and if you don't have correct change, you might get change in Guilders. We didn't have to pay to shower and a locker was $1.50. They were making improvements on the shower/changing/restroom area in November so it should be even nicer now.

We were just there, Jan. 2010 - Had a wonderful time. The beach is beautiful. Tons of lounge chairs and umbrella's, you pay a small use fee. There are only about 12 lockers, so get one early. They charge you $10.00, but give you $8.00 back when you return the key. We did not think you needed watershoes. The one big down side that nobody on here mentioned when I did my research is that the coral is dead! We did see fish and a sting ray! But the coral is so far gone I'm not sure it will ever recover. That said, we had a really wonderful day of relaxing, swimming, just enjoying the beauty of the beach. We did not do the trial, as it is really is is a rather dry and arid island. Not alot of beauty from that prespective.

We were just there, January 2010. We had a wonderful time. There are tons of lounge chairs and umbrella's, that you can use for a small use fee.

There only about 12 lockers, so get one early. They charge you $10.00, but give you $8.00 back when you return the key. The one thing that no mentioned on cruise critic when I did my research, was that the coral here is dead. We did see some colorful fish and even an eagleray. However, the coral is so far gone that I do no think it will ever recover. That said, we had a wonderful day relaxing and enjoying the beauty of the beach. We did not go on the trial. Curcacao is a rather dry and arid beach, other than a view of the beach, that trail did not seem that appealing.

We were at Playa Porto Mari a couple of wks ago. The taxi was $10 pp each way and the entry to the beach "club" was $2 pp. Lounge chairs were an addt'l $3 pp, but that included a complimentary soft drink. It's a beautiful beach, good for sunning and for snorkeling.

Becki

the fare to Porto Mari with the taxi is from one to four persons $50 one way if there is more then five the price will be $10 p.p.

entrance fee to the beach is $3 p.p. and beach chair $3

• 1 month later...
$50.00 each way. That seems a little pricey. Is there a closer beach that wouldn't cost as much?

Yes! There is the Holiday Beach that is within walking distance from the piers, heading west. Quiet beach. The next beach going west is by the Hilton. (Hooks Hut area). Their beach is a little bigger but it is busier. Cold beer and drinks and great snack foods. Dive shop also on site. Cab fare there should not be too much, as it is not far. Just tell the cab driver what time you want to be picked up and he will be there.

We were just there, January 2010. We had a wonderful time. There are tons of lounge chairs and umbrella's, that you can use for a small use fee.

There only about 12 lockers, so get one early. They charge you $10.00, but give you $8.00 back when you return the key. The one thing that no mentioned on cruise critic when I did my research, was that the coral here is dead. We did see some colorful fish and even an eagleray. However, the coral is so far gone that I do no think it will ever recover. That said, we had a wonderful day relaxing and enjoying the beauty of the beach. We did not go on the trial. Curcacao is a rather dry and arid beach, other than a view of the beach, that trail did not seem that appealing.

Yes they had a lot of damage in Curacao in October 2008. Hurricane Omar formed itself on the edges of Curacao. Overturned coral, homeless fish and sealife. Really sucked. The reefs will take years for nature to fix itself. Sad to watch that happen. Diving was different the next day. :(

We just returned from a cruise and went to Playa Porto Mari. Cost was $10/pp each way. I asked as we walked up and was quoted that price, before I told them there were three other couples joining us. They gave no discount for the larger group. Ride was about 30 minutes each way

At Porto Mari the charge was $10 for admission AND 2 chairs. There was plenty of share.

It was absolutely fantastic. Beautiful beach, water and snorkeling. One couple in our group had gone to Kon-Tiki (said it is now a different name) and initially wanted to go back but was VERY happy they went to Porto Mari with us.

Snorkeling conditions were incredible. Much clearer than our last trip there and the best visibility conditions we've seen other than snorkeling near Kona.

I don't understand the comments above, while the coral wasn't in fantastic shape (is it anywhere?) there are plenty of active and nice coral areas that had lots of fish. Make sure you talk to the people at the dive shop and understand which areas to snorkel to including the edge of the deeper reef on the right side of the beach - out around the buoy past the platform.

I'll post new pictures in a few days - including some underwater photos.

If you're just swimming I'd recommend water shoes are the shoreline has a little coral & rocks and wearing water shoes or waterproof sandals made entry a little easier.

...At Porto Mari the charge was $10 for admission AND 2 chairs. There was plenty of share...

I guess I was pretty tired last night when I typed the post above. Among my many awful typos this one was the least understandable. I meant there was plenty of shade.

Hello Larry ,

Thanks for the great info . After reading the previous post I reserved a

car at a $100 US a day . Now I am second guessing that . I figured there are two of us so it would be $100 plus tip RT . Same as a rental give or take .

Now I'm thinkin' $40 RT plus tip , little confused but not goin' until next Jan on the Grand Princess . So I've got time . Just curious cause I don't wanna throw money away . Any thoughts ? Thanks ! Ted

Hello Larry ,

Thanks for the great info . After reading the previous post I reserved a

car at a $100 US a day . Now I am second guessing that . I figured there are two of us so it would be $100 plus tip RT . Same as a rental give or take .

Now I'm thinkin' $40 RT plus tip , little confused but not goin' until next Jan on the Grand Princess . So I've got time . Just curious cause I don't wanna throw money away . Any thoughts ? Thanks ! Ted

I'm never crazy about car rentals at ports. Also, I usually have a couple drinks at lunch on the beach and don't want to even think about issues driving afterwards. Even if it was a push on the cost I'd rather take a cab. And as for price - all I can say is that as I approached the cab stand the drivers asked about Porto Mari even before I asked and when I asked about price they indicated $10/pp each way before I even told them how many were in our group - although I don't know how closely the others were following so it might have been apparent we were a "group".

Hey Larry ,

Thanks so much for gettin' back to me . I think it will

be a lot less stress free ( priceless ) for the cab . So I

think I am gonna cancel the reservation I have and just

relax in a taxi . January can't come fast enough !

Preciate your thoughts ! Ted

You mentioned the beach had a lot of coral pieces and rocks. Did you notice any shells? I like to walk the beach looking for small shells (not the big conch shells).

We have been Curacao but never to the beach. We usually walk around it's so colorful.

You mentioned the beach had a lot of coral pieces and rocks. Did you notice any shells? I like to walk the beach looking for small shells (not the big conch shells).

We have been Curacao but never to the beach. We usually walk around it's so colorful.

I don't recall a lot of shells.

• 1 month later...

Are the drinks and food available for order at your lounge chair? If not ... can you leave your chair without someone claiming it while you're eating?? Is it okay to have drinks at your chair if you have to go get them ourself?

Also ... what is the most current prices ... taxi ... chairs etc.

Thanks for any info you can share with us concerning this beach. We're looking for a more relaxing "quiet" beach for our day in Curacao.

Pat :)

It's been a few years since we were at Playa Porto Mari, but a young woman did come to our chair and ask what we wanted to drink and brought it back to us. I don't know if that's how they still do it, but that's how it worked when we were there. Since there is a charge for the chair(s), I don't think you need to worry about someone taking your chair if you do have to go get your drink/food.

As for shells, I also look for small ones, and I did find a few nice tiny ones.

Thanks BestyBug - we are on our way there in a few days - also rented a car. Although we made our way there once before, I think your directions will be much better - I remember a few wrong turns getting there last year!

Lisa

Do you recall if there were, in fact umbrellas - I can't recall since we were only there for a brief peak at the view and then on to another stop.

Also, did Avis have a map of the island for you to use? I can't remember that either - senior moment!

yes they have a few umbrellas and tables with umbrellas. enjoy

Are the drinks and food available for order at your lounge chair? If not ... can you leave your chair without someone claiming it while you're eating?? Is it okay to have drinks at your chair if you have to go get them ourself?

Also ... what is the most current prices ... taxi ... chairs etc.

Thanks for any info you can share with us concerning this beach. We're looking for a more relaxing "quiet" beach for our day in Curacao.

Pat :)

There was no drinks nor food available at the chairs when we were there in March - you had to go to the bar and bring drinks back. We had food at the tables there.

No worry about anyone taking your chair - there were more chairs than people.

Look at my posts #87 and #89 above for prices and other info from our trip there last March.

• 1 year later...

Archived