Constellation 8127

rmp1968uk

disabled people in wheelchairs or at least with mobility problems. The cabin is bigger in the bathroom-- there is no step and the floor is flush with the cabin floor. It is prone to flooding and you will find yourselves either mopping up after shower or running for the steward.

Some areas of the cabin are smaller because of the larger bathroom. Closet space especially was reduced. I believe some of the furniture was rearranged or remvoed like the glass table in front of the couch. The cabin doors are wider.

The location is great--midship-- but as limited mobility person, I woud urge you to forgo that cabin and find another. I'm not blaming you because it was offered to you by X but they should not have been done. You may get some nasty looks by fellow passengers passing by you entering your handicap stateroom so be prepared.

All in all-my vote is to change cabins. A disabled latecomer may come along truly needing that prized cabin and it won't be available.:eek:

We have been assigned this as a guarantee, so we don't have a choice to chsnge it as uk passengers. We would happily give it up for less abled colleagues, but now we're assigned, that is not possible. Not sure why x does this, as it doesn't seem quite right to us!

Then don't reserve the cabin.

We were assigned it as a guarantee - seems odd they give accessible cabins to those who don't require them. We agree with your sentiments, but can't change it, even if a less abled traveller needed it, which is ridiculous

As the cruise gets close Celebrity will want to fill all the cabins on the ship. At some point if the accessible cabins have not been reserved by someone with a need for their features then they will be opened for general booking at which time the guarantee pool has as much chance assigning passengers to them as any other unsold cabin.

Celebrity will not sail with empty accessible cabins on an otherwise full ship if they could have been sold just because someone who does have a handicap didn't book the cruise. They are held for those with needs through most of the booking period but not up until the very last minute. So no one should feel badly that they are taking these cabins away from someone who needed one if they book, or are assigned, one of these cabins.

We booked late the first time we cruised and were assigned a wheel chair accessible stateroom. Since it was our first cruise we had requested a standard outside room. Being a cruise novice I didn't even check the deck plan and were we surprised when we got to the cabin and saw how large it was compared to the standard outside room.

I am sure that if the cruise line gets a request for an accessible cabin they can move people around to accommodate everyone. Don't feel bad about getting this cabin.

thanks - I just hope we're not taking it up when someone else may need it! We're the sort of people who get cross with people parking in disabled spaces, and let them know...so this does sort of feel wrong :o

I understand and I feel the same way. We were reassigned to an accessible cabin on a cruise several years ago when were on the waiting list for an aft cabin. It was about 2 weeks before sailing. I felt a little bad about it at first, like you do, but the TA said that Celebrity isn't going to let the cabin go empty and it was past holding time. So if someone without need was going to get it why not us.

The accessible cabins, like all other cabins go on sale about 18 months before a cruise sails. My understanding is that Celebrity will not release them until close enough to cruise time that they feel it is unlikely they will be booked by someone with special needs and also at a time when it is time for them to either sell their inventory or face increased risks that it will go unsold. In our case it was 2 weeks before the cruise. It is also possible they might release some, but not all, of the accessible cabins earlier than that hold a few until the last minute. So for all you know some but still be held. Also, if someone who has needs waits until the very last minute I don't necessarily see why they should be accommodated any more than another cruiser who didn't wait quite so late especially when they've had priority for something like 17 1/2 months of an 18 month sales period.

In any event there is no reason for you to feel badly, and frankly I don't think some of the posters above were thinking when they posted such critical comments. It is not like you deceived the cruise line into thinking you needed the accessible features when you didn't or snatched this up in some other improper way.

Thanks Lsimon - we will go and enjoy it, and if we get critisied, I shall explain it to them. We are really looking forward to the trip - turkey and med in October. It will be our 3rd cruise (all with X), and it's the first time we haven't had an inside cabin! Love travelling with X, and eagerly anticipating the "butler" service etc!! :):)

Appreciate any suggestions for transfer services from Rome to the ship. I know that the train is the most inexpensive choice. I will have luggage and prefer not to drag it on the train.

Bet bet is to hire a car service, we used Rome cabs which is one of the companies recommended on the port of call board here on Cruise Critic. That is a good place to look for all info about ports.

It is not cheap but definitely the most convienient way. Other choices are shared private car or shuttle, finding people on your roll call or taking Celebrity's transfer (typically more expensive for 2 or more but I'm not sure of their prices

We have used the trains with luggage previously, and found them no problem at all. There is a great hotel in Rome - the Columbia, if you need somewhere. If you use the train, just make sure to validate your ticket in the machine!:D

Hello:

We recently left 8127 on Connie and loved it. Bathroom was great....big open space and no tub...which was fine with us...Biggest complaint about the room was not enough nooks and crannies to put our "stuff". There are no shelving units in this cabin. So everything has to sit "on" something.

Also, we had a strange stinky smell that seemed to emanate from the drain in the floor under the sink and at times it was like sewage. They knew about it because the housekeeper would spray from a special bottle down there twice per day....

other than that....GREAT cabin, GREAT location and hopefully you have a better Butler then we had.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Archived