Tickets for Uffizi Gallery

grannie cruiser

I suggest calling for your tickets. From North America it is 011-39-055-294-883

Follow the prompts. It's quite easy.

Guide? well, how much do you know about Florentine Renascence art? How much do you care? If you are just kinda sorta interested, the audio guide will probably be good for you. If you are quite interested, you will have done a fair amount of research beforehand, so a guide offering some additional information would be my suggestion. If this is your passion, you won't be asking <grin>.

I was at Uffizi Gallery in May. I literally walked to a ticket window that was adjacent to Uffizi and walked right in to Uffizi after purchasing the ticket. It was 3:30 PM. I saw a line of about 30 people and proceeded into the Reserved Line, which is for parties with tickets and was in the Gallery in less than a minute. Uffizi is a wonderful experience, however there are lots and lots of vistors so if art is your passion then you might want to hire a guide and take the grand tour but if your only interested in certain pieces then go to their web site identify those pieces and plan your time according. I'm planning on going back next year and spending the day at Uffizi, probably in April, when it isn't so crowded. I also would suggest you watching Rick Steves Youtube video on the lines at Uffizi.

I was at Uffizi Gallery in May. I literally walked to a ticket window that was adjacent to Uffizi and walked right in to Uffizi after purchasing the ticket. It was 3:30 PM... I'm planning on going back next year and spending the day at Uffizi, probably in April, when it isn't so crowded. I also would suggest you watching Rick Steves Youtube video on the lines at Uffizi.

According to the schedule on CruiseTimetables.com, 33 ships will have a port of call at Livorno in April 2012. This increases to 89 ships in May, 68 in June, 72 in July, and 85 in August. With these nunmbers, I can understand how cruisers might think that the difference between April and May will impact your visit to the Uffizi. However, I don't think you're taking into account the many of us who visit Italy as a land vacation. I think there's less difference than the April/May cruise numbers suggest.

I've never been in Florence later than June since its location in a valley makes it a baking hot place in the summer, much hotter than Rome despite Florence's more northern location. This means I can't comment about crowds in the Uffizi at the height of cruising season. But I can say that crowds September through October and March through June are remarkably constant and quite intense. If your objective is truly to avoid crowds in the Uffizi, you ought to be considering a visit November through February.

Incidentally, visiting late at the Uffizi is definitely the way to go. However, I wonder if a cruiser can both tour the museum and travel back to Livorno in time for sail away?

I would strongly agree that if the Uffizi is a major destination for you, advance tickets are the way to go. It's possible you may get there and find a short line. But that's the exception, rather than the rule.

If you reserve tickets ahead using the number provided in an earlier post, there is not any penalty; you don't pay until you pick them up. So if something happens (ship doesn't dock, you don't get there on time, etc) you've not lost any money.

Someone else once recommended getting the reserved tickets via phone, then assessing the line when you arrive. If there's no line, just go through and get the regular tickets and save the service charge.

For a museum like the Uffizi, I personally prefer either a good audioguide or a guidebook to a live guide. But that's just me, others like a live guide.

Last fall, we bought our tickets online through this site http://en.firenze.waf.it/museo_dett/27-state-museums/3175-uffizi-tickets-reservation.html

When you get to the Uffizi you have to turn in the voucher for tickets at a small office across from the big line waiting to get in to the museum. After you turn the voucher in, you do not have to wait in the big line there is a separate entrance. We toured on our own so that we could take the time to see what we wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

We use tikitaly website to pre-purchase admission to all the major sites, galleries etc right across Italy including major attractions in Roma, Venezia, Firenze, Pisa and Milano . It's all there on the one website and you print out the Vouchers and avoid the queues and saves so much time. But you must front at your booked time or you miss your preferred admission .

Archived