Al H Ruins

csunshine860

Still pondering what to do in Belize. Has anyone did this tour with CCL. What type of buses/transportation to site was used? Also I have been told that if booked with CCL not allowed to climb the ruins is that correct? The hour bus trip to and from concerns me as well. Heard Island Marketing VG but concerned about tendering back on time.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

We did this tour/excurion with CCL on the Legend and LOVED it.

The bus to the site was like a greyhound bus, air conditioned and comfortable.

Our tour had the river portion on the back end, and the boat dropped us off at the port.

You can climb one ruin (weather permitting), if memory serves me correctly it was the Sun Temple, the largest one on site. Its an amazing site, as the Mayans called this area of Central America "home" for hundreds of years.

The hour long bus ride is not "excruciating"--natural childbirth, 3rd degree burns and root canals are excruciating. "Excruciating" is not riding in an air conditioned bus with a lively tour guide. Anyway-its a long ride, yes, but that time is filled by your tour guide teaching you about Belize, their culture/economy/history....and takes questions and gives answers. I imagine of course it depends on the guide(s), but ours were excellent.

The boat portion was fantastic for us. We got to see loads of wildlife, including but not limited to crocs, monkeys, manatees, birds, bats.

The chicken/meal was fine. I'd eat it again any day over some the crap served on the Lido deck.

This is very much an educational type excursion, and a good one at that. If you're into Senor Frogs and getting drunk on a beach, then its not for you. If you want to learn about the culture and landscape of the country you're visiting, then go for it. We loved Belize, and for the life of me I can't understand why it gets such a bad rap on these boards. Its a poor developing country with a lot to offer. Can it be dangerous? Sure, but no more dangerous than LA, Chicago or NYC. Use common sense. The people are nice and hardworking, they are GLAD to have tourists there. I'd rather drop a load of cash in Belize than say, Grand Cayman. It helps them.

I know its probably more info than you needed, but I get so upset when people refer to things in such a negative way when it is uncalled for.

Oh and by the way...Belize is in Central America approx midway between the Tropic of Cancer and the Equator-- if you go there in the summer months, it is going to be HOT. That's just common sense.

I did this excursion thru NCL in February.

The bus ride was about 45 min then we spent about 45 min at the ruins with a Mayan guide. You could climb the ruins( I stupidly wore flip flops :()

45 min bus ride back. Our guide on the bus was great.

It was warm there but while the Mayan guide talked he handed out bottles of water and made sure we were in the shade.

Even my 5yo enjoyed it!

Wow - you only had just over a 2 hour tour? So - the tours only allow 45 minutes at the ruins?

It may not seem like a lot of time, but really its sufficient. The area where the ruins are is in an out of the way place, surrounded by jungle. The center is open area, with a few ruins surrounding it. The time alotted is really plenty, don't be discouraged. They allow plenty of time for picture taking, exploring and of course shopping (there's a little row of stores set up near the entrance with handmade local arts/crafts and food-even Belizean hot sauce LOL).

Seriously, its a good excursion. Ours was combined with a river tour and lunch, I guess some cruise lines only offer one or the other?

Have fun

Wow - you only had just over a 2 hour tour? So - the tours only allow 45 minutes at the ruins?

We took the "half-day" tour. From the time we left the ship until we got back on board was about 4.5 hours. it was just the right amount of time for a 5 yo and me in the heat!!

Archived