Water Shoe Recommendations?

EdASRQ

Hi!

I will be doing the Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios (2nd time) and thought it's about time I purchased some Water Shoes ... over the years I've rented for various excursions, why not just get a good pair.

I found some on Speedo's website. I'm going to buy some swim trunks (no, not those Speedo's - ha, ha - but, it's fun to tell people I'm going to wear my Speedo's)

1. Men's Speedo Coast Cruisers ($29.99)

2. Men's Shore Cruiser® II ($29.99)

3. Men's Seaside Water Shoe ($24.99)

Does anyone have recommendations? Not necessarily Speedo's, consider these a starting point.

TIA

'why not get a good pair?'

good idea

I recommend you expand your search beyond 'water shoes' which I've always found to be poorly made.

When I go to DRF I wear my dive boots. I've used a pair of dive boots for nearly 20 years and other then having faded they are still going strong.

You can find 'warm water dive boots' for around $30

best is if you have a local dive shop where you can try 'em on for fit but a good on line shop would likely exchange for size issues.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear/Boots.html

001526_big.jpg

i would recommend staying away from the 'cheapies' when i did the Falls my foot scraped a rock and the top part tore (walmart brand)...i find the cheapies are okay for walking along the beach but wouldnt wear the cheapies if i was to climb the falls again.

I wouldn't spend $30 for a pair of water shoes! I bought a pair for around $10 at Target in 2005 and I'm still wearing them. I wore them going up DRF and had no problem. In fact, they gave me great traction.

Just note that if you buy a pair of Speedo water shoes, you're paying about twice what you need to just for the brand name.

I was at my local Sports Authority today and they have water shoes that look a lot like the warm water dive boots I posted, with a lower cuff, for $10. Looked better then the water shoes spousal unit usually bought but only available in black . . .

I AM talking about a Florida location tho . . .

I'm sure you'll see some people wearing sneakers at DRF and I've read comments from people that say they are fine for the ascent there. However, I find the traction on sneakers to be not as good as those on water shoes and it's important to have good traction for the climb. I also think water shoes are preferable because they are more lightweight and comfortable than sneakers.

If you can find a cheap pair of water shoes on sale now, I'd grab a pair and take them as they won't take up much space in your luggage. If you can't, then just wear the sneakers--they'll do.

I'm sure you'll see some people wearing sneakers at DRF and I've read comments from people that say they are fine for the ascent there. However, I find the traction on sneakers to be not as good as those on water shoes and it's important to have good traction for the climb. I also think water shoes are preferable because they are more lightweight and comfortable than sneakers.

If you can find a cheap pair of water shoes on sale now, I'd grab a pair and take them as they won't take up much space in your luggage. If you can't, then just wear the sneakers--they'll do.

Thank you. for the detailed info. Will start checking out stores.

Archived