Are powerstrips the new no-no?

teddie

[quote name='Desertbelle']It seems to me that the lack of power outlets on cruise ships has been an issue for many many years, why haven't the cruise lines recognized this problem and built these new, beautiful ships with a few extra outlets, then people wouldn't need to bring extension cords and power strips? Especially since the age of electronics is upon us. My husband and I both have cell phones, ipods, a camera, a video camera, and computers. And we are using these items every day (maybe not the phones, but I wouldn't like mine to become completely uncharged in case I need to use it) so they need recharging. Maybe powerstrips aren't ideal but the cruise industry hasn't given us a solution that works better.[/quote]

Agreed!

Well I say that if you can not get along with the power supplies provided by RCCL and have to resort to smuggling you should just stay home - I mean do you smuggle power cords into your hotels and restaurants? Goodness what is next, power cord smugglers will soon be trying to bring on a bottle of wine oh horror of horrors!!!!! :D

[quote name='WillieC']Well I say that if you can not get along with the power supplies provided by RCCL and have to resort to smuggling you should just stay home - I mean do you smuggle power cords into your hotels and restaurants? Goodness what is next, power cord smugglers will soon be trying to bring on a bottle of wine oh horror of horrors!!!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Actually, I always bring a power strip when staying in a hotel. Most nice properties have a wealth of outlets at the work desk across the room, but usually only one (if you're lucky) at the nightstand. I like me cell charging and nearby when I sleep, as well as my Kindle.

Teddie

[quote name='WeLove2CruiseRCI'][SIZE="4"]We always bring a small fan and extension cord. We both need the fan to circulate air while we are sleeping or we can't breath! That will now be the first suitcase I unpack to see if it made it through![/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Same here, must have my fan! Been on a number of cruises, all but one on RCCL (I strayed once, okay?! LOL), and I've never once had anyone question it. Sure hope they don't in the future!

[quote name='Desertbelle']It seems to me that the lack of power outlets on cruise ships has been an issue for many many years, why haven't the cruise lines recognized this problem and built these new, beautiful ships with a few extra outlets, then people wouldn't need to bring extension cords and power strips? Especially since the age of electronics is upon us. My husband and I both have cell phones, ipods, a camera, a video camera, and computers. And we are using these items every day (maybe not the phones, but I wouldn't like mine to become completely uncharged in case I need to use it) so they need recharging. Maybe powerstrips aren't ideal but the cruise industry hasn't given us a solution that works better.[/quote]

While on the Allure, this was the best item in the room! Hope they get them in all the other ships.
We have two iPhones and never took out our chargers or cables. Keeps them charged and plays music while docked.
We very rarely even turned the TV on to watch anything.
(BTW, we never use them as 'phones' while on a cruise, they're ALWAYS in airplane mode! We go on vacation to get away...)

[IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/woch2331/DSC_0109.jpg[/IMG]

Feb 2011 - Oasis OTS - I had a 6 plug surge protector confiscated. First visit to the naughty room. I only brought it after reading about the location of the plugs in the regular cabins. I did have to get on my knees to plug things in - but we survived. The next week I packed the surge protector in my carryon (Celebrity Solstice). They took the surge p but I wanted to get our luggage in a timely manner so that was OK.

Maybe this is something Royal Caribbean needs to clarify - so we know what is allowed.

I'm reading that folks bring their laptops/ipads, etc. I was hearing that they don't work iun the cabins -- that they only work in a few hot spots on the ship. Should we bring our laptops just in case? I was planning (unhappily) to leave them behind..??

[quote name='Jaxxgent']Same here, must have my fan! Been on a number of cruises, all but one on RCCL (I strayed once, okay?! LOL), and I've never once had anyone question it. Sure hope they don't in the future![/quote]

I must have my fan and white noise machine! Never been stopped before but I am a getting worried after reading this thread.

[quote name='skandls']Feb 2011 - Oasis OTS - I had a 6 plug surge protector confiscated. First visit to the naughty room. I only brought it after reading about the location of the plugs in the regular cabins. I did have to get on my knees to plug things in - but we survived. The next week I packed the surge protector in my carryon (Celebrity Solstice). They took the surge p but I wanted to get our luggage in a timely manner so that was OK.

Maybe this is something Royal Caribbean needs to clarify - so we know what is allowed.[/quote]

Sorry, a little confused. Is this correct? You:
1. Went on Oasis (Port Everglades) and packed the surge protector in check-in. You were called to the naughty room where it was held for your trip (presumably returned at some point?)
2. Went on Solstice (Port in Miami) and packed surge protector in your carry-on. The security screen caught it prior to boarding and confiscated it. You were fine with not getting it back.

I packed a small plug expander like this swivel wall tap on my last cruise and it was fine [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/3-OUTLET-SWIVEL-WALL-TAP-NEW-/130560582327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e660462b7[/url]

I'd rather not have my travel surge protector confiscated. It's similar to the belkin but less expensive and I like monoprice.com [url]http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10907&cs_id=1090701&p_id=7991&seq=1&format=4#feedback[/url]

For what it's worth, an explanation from Capt BJ on one of the other Extension Cord threads that makes sense to a non-technical kind of person:

[COLOR=navy]without going into technical details and with all due respect to the electrical engineer

The electrical systems you find on land are not exactly what you find in the shipboard environment. The difference has to do with grounding. On land we ground to that .... the ground! Or EARTH. And we do that thru wires - we hope, but a little loose current in the foundation is no biggie

On a ship you ground to the sea if you followed the same principle, problem is the ship is steel and if the ship's hull transmits any of that juice to the sea a bad thing happens - actually several. For one - electrolysis - the flow of electrons away from the ship carries molecules of metal. The hull erodes to the point that ships develop weakened hulls and even holes in the props and rudders. Not good things. (ships try to mitigate this which can never be totally eliminated by attaching a sacrificial metal to the hull. One that will carry away more easily then the metal of the hull. These blocks of ZINC are seen even on smaller boats and outboard motors. Zincs are one of those items that are checked and replaced as needed during a dry dock period.) Also if there is a 'short' or a 'ground' on a ship that can cause the walls and floors and everything else to be eclectically hot - ships are not framed in wood anymore. It is very very important to keep the electric distribution on a ship a closed system. It is different than on land.

So what? Well, most power strips are also surge protectors and the way surge protectors work on land is most of the time not completely friendly to a ship's grounding system. How unfriendly? I have honestly seen a surge protector power strip burst into flames with no warning what so ever. I was involved with some of the first installations of desktop computers on ships for the organization that paid me. We learned this the hard way and eventually there were Navy safety warnings about the dangers of powerstips/surge protectors/and interruptible power supplies on ship's. There were only a limited few models that were approved for shipboard use - UL testing has limited application in the ship environment.

For what its worth - extension cords were also strongly frowned upon because of the increased dangers associated with a frayed cord in the marine environment. Cords which were approved for use were regularly inspected and tagged as such ... [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]__________________
[/COLOR]

WE have been on 30 cruises. 3 cruises ago out of San Juan ..The security at the port check in confisticated my wifes small electric fan. They gave us a receipt and said we could have it after the cruise returned as we left the ship. We went to customer relations desk after we sailed and the next morning after breakfast we had our fan back.. Another case of RCI inconsistency ;) We have had no problems since then. :)

[quote name='dadatsea']WE have been on 30 cruises. 3 cruises ago out of San Juan ..The security at the port check in confisticated my wifes small electric fan. They gave us a receipt and said we could have it after the cruise returned as we left the ship. We went to customer relations desk after we sailed and the next morning after breakfast we had our fan back.. Another case of RCI inconsistency ;) We have had no problems since then. :)[/quote]

OK ... I'm not saying this is what happened but

On MY ship ... we had a tool, that we could plug a small electrical device into and test it for electrical drain

I'm not going to try and get into the technicals on this

But many small electical applianses can cause problems ..... and it can be tested.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but am I the only one that needs a clock by my bed? I can't see one across the room. On past cruises the phone had a clock, but it didn't light up at night. I need to know what time it is, so we have always taken a small electric alarm clock. Because there were no plugs near the bed, we used an extension cord to plug it into the power strip on the desk. We also like a fan or a white noise machine.

hope they do not take my husbands travel kettle away from him next year on the allure.
when he gets up, likes 4 to 5 cups of tea (we are english) before he does anything.
the kettle has travelled all over the world with us and 10 cruises and never had a problem.its a family joke the only thing he packs is tea bags and kettle :D

[quote name='Famof6']I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but am I the only one that needs a clock by my bed? I can't see one across the room. On past cruises the phone had a clock, but it didn't light up at night. I need to know what time it is, so we have always taken a small electric alarm clock. Because there were no plugs near the bed, we used an extension cord to plug it into the power strip on the desk. We also like a fan or a white noise machine.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way, like to have a clock next to the bed. My resolution to that was to buy a battery operated travel alarm clock. I happened to find one that is easy to operate, press a button and it lights up. It's easy to find the button in the dark, has large numbers so it's easy to read, and the light goes back off within a few seconds to save on batteries (this one takes 2 "AA" batteries). I've been using the same one for several years now. If I recall correctly, I bought this one from Wal Mart back in, geez, 1997, I think! It's a "BlueGlo" brand. Not sure if they are still available or not, so hope mine doesn't quick working any time soon! LOL Even if this brand isn't available now, I'm sure there is something similar on the market, just have to find one you like.

Terry

[quote name='holiday forever']hope they do not take my husbands travel kettle away from him next year on the allure.
when he gets up, likes 4 to 5 cups of tea (we are english) before he does anything.
the kettle has travelled all over the world with us and 10 cruises and never had a problem.its a family joke the only thing he packs is tea bags and kettle :D[/quote]

In the US kettles are on the banned item list. You can order hot water for tea from room service - put your order in the night before. If you are in a jr suite or higher they will have kettles in the room.

[quote name='PCWalton1']I have a small Belkin Mini Surge Protector that gives me extra outlets, but is much smaller than the standard power strips, so less noticable. :)
[URL]http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=400738[/URL][/QUOTE]

DH works on NCL and these are the banned items on that line. He said I'd be better off bringing my $3.00 power strip since it doesn't cause as many problems on the ship.

[quote name='Denese96']Thanks for the all the great information regarding power strips and/or extension cords and other electrical things.

I learned of the mini fans issue a couple of years ago. I purchased and bring a battery operated (with extra batteries) fan because I could not possibly enjoy a week without it.

I agree with the previous posters that, if for some reason your equipment is confiscated and can not be returned during the voyage, your room steward can at least get the heavy duty extension cord for you to use.

The Oasis had the most hidden by the bed outlets in the Boardwalk Balcony cabin that I have ever seen. The cabin steward crawled under the bed to plug my CPAP machine in with my extension cord and returned to unplug it at the end of the trip.

I just ordered the Belkin Mini with USB (Amazon),since it can charge my camera and net book at the same time.

If you have any special needs or concerns call the Special Needs Desk at 866-592-7225 for the assistance that Royal Caribbean is known for. No one wants to be miserable either health wise or by not being able to connect to others while on vacation.[/quote]
[B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]What mini fan is that, I would be interested in a battery operated one.
I bet they would be less likely to take it from me...thanks![/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][B]Well said! I agree 100%!!![/B][/COLOR]:)

[quote name='metairiegal']I must have my fan and white noise machine! Never been stopped before but I am a getting worried after reading this thread.[/quote]
[B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]I agree!!!
I love my fan, and as a woman of a certain age;),the fan is a lifesaver!!!![/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='Famof6']I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but am I the only one that needs a clock by my bed? I can't see one across the room. On past cruises the phone had a clock, but it didn't light up at night. I need to know what time it is, so we have always taken a small electric alarm clock. Because there were no plugs near the bed, we used an extension cord to plug it into the power strip on the desk. We also like a fan or a white noise machine.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkOrchid][B]We bring an alarm clock for the same reasons that you stated.[/B]
[/COLOR]

[quote name='Famof6']I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but am I the only one that needs a clock by my bed? I can't see one across the room. On past cruises the phone had a clock, but it didn't light up at night. I need to know what time it is, so we have always taken a small electric alarm clock. Because there were no plugs near the bed, we used an extension cord to plug it into the power strip on the desk. We also like a fan or a white noise machine.[/QUOTE] Are you serious? You take an electric alarm clock? And an electric noise machine (battery operated are on sale for $5 at Bed Bath Beyond.) What you are doing is called "Daisy Chaining" and is a serious fire hazard. [url]http://www.ehs.berkeley.edu/pubs/factsheets/30extencords.pdf[/url] Putting the risk of loss of life aside as that aspect is too grim to even think about, I can't imagine the liability associated with being responsible for a fire in your stateroom. There is not enough liability insurance in the world to cover the results of the lawsuit that would be slapped on you. People on this board blow right past the fact that the cruise ships have prohibited power cords and surge protectors for good reason. However, if there is a thread on smuggling and "tricking" security, man, it goes on for pages with people even posting links for their devices not to mention pictures. Have any of you checked the safety ratings? I guess my question is: Do you even care?
I seldom rant but I'll post these same comments every time I see a "Poor Pitiful Me" thread whining about the mean cruise ships depriving you of equipment that could put all of us at risk. (And that is absolutely unnecessary ... we carry computers, electric toothbrushes, cameras, iPad, phones, etc & have never needed an extra outlet) It's a very serious & dangerous issue.

[quote name='SheilaSailAway'][B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]I agree!!!
I love my fan, and as a woman of a certain age;),the fan is a lifesaver!!!![/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE] I'm confused??? Are you worried about the fire hazard or being deprived of your power strip? Bed Bath Beyond also has a battery operated fan. I'm sure other stores do, too.

[quote name='05mak05']People on this board blow right past the fact that the cruise ships have prohibited power cords and surge protectors for good reason.
[/quote]

I think the main question is have they actually prohibited them? Nothing that I have received so far from my Travel Agent or Royal Caribbean tells me that I may not use a power strip. I don't want to smuggle anything anywhere. If they tell me they're not suitable, that's fine. However some people have mentioned that they're being confiscated, others say they aren't.

If you can show me where Royal Caribbean says they're prohibited, then I'll know for definite, and won't bother purchasing and packing one. If they are not prohibited, then I would find it convenient to bring one with me.

Archived